Author Topic: 500 S&W  (Read 639 times)

Offline mr.frosty

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
500 S&W
« on: December 26, 2004, 02:55:05 PM »
500 S&W Load Now Available From Winchester® Ammunition

Winchester® Ammunition maintains its leadership position in big bore handgun hunting by adding the 500 S&W cartridge to its Supreme® line of handgun hunting ammunition featuring the Platinum Tip™ Hollow Point bullet.

When you decide to offer the most powerful production handgun cartridge in the world, you must have a bullet that is up to the task and Winchester has just the bullet.  This new load will feature Winchester’s patented 400 gr. Platinum Tip Hollow Point bullet design.  This heavyweight bullet coupled with the 500 S&W case launches at an amazing 1800 fps and 2877 ft-lbs of muzzle energy.  This is more muzzle energy than a 30-06 Springfield with a 180 gr. bullet.  On impact the Platinum Tip Hollow Point bullet will open up to a massive frontal area providing for tremendous knock down power on even the largest game.  When zeroed at 100 yards, the 400 gr. PTHP will be only 1.2 inches high at 50 yards.

Suggested retail price of a box of 20-rounds is $43.82.
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."

Offline Buford

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
mr.frosty
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 02:59:56 PM »
mr.frosty, thank you for bringing that to our attention - I was getting tired of those wimpy loads from Corbon..........that is one impressive handgun for sure.  Another fellow referred to it as the "SUV of handguns"!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
500 S&W
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 05:10:54 PM »
The best thing I have found is to reload for my 500MAG. I get quality loads and powerful enough to my liking and at a 1/4 of the price of factory loads.  :D I have been loading some 575 gr. cast gas check bullets that will knock your socks off. You can't buy that heavy of a factory load anywhere. I have a Black Bear hunt booked for October 2005 and I am going to use my BFR in 500MAG. I am just debating which weight bullet I will use. But cast bullets is what I think I will use.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline mr.frosty

• A Real Regular
500 S&W
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2004, 06:21:30 PM »
if winchester is going to chamber the 500 plus they already have the 454
could the lowly 480 be next?
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
500 S&W
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2004, 07:11:56 PM »
So I take it that the new Winchester load would do a number on squirrels?  :eek:
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline mr.frosty

• A Real Regular
500 S&W
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 04:00:32 AM »
some of them squirrels are pretty hard to hit

Offline LMM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
500 S&W
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 05:30:18 AM »
If you only take headshots, it might kill them.  I'm just not sure that .500 S&W is enough gun for squirrels. Pretty tough and dangerous. Ever see a squirrel charge?  :eek:  Can make one mess his drawers!  :eek:  :roll:  :wink:  :lol:
LMM

"If you can blame guns for killing people, then I can blame my pencil for misspelled words."
--Larry the Cable Guy

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
500 S&W
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 07:24:49 AM »
Wow...How do you outrun a squirrel?  Can't climb up a tree...What if you run downhill really fast?  How about running uphill really fast?  :wink:
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense