Author Topic: 308 update.  (Read 676 times)

Offline Jeffery8mm

• Trade Count: (59)
  • A Real Regular
308 update.
« on: December 28, 2004, 02:44:44 PM »
I bought the 308 barrel from Broken Arrow a while back and thought I would give yall my thought on both the barrel and the caliber.
The barrel is sweet on my gun.  Lock up is tight.  I have not shot it much and I need to try some different ammo, but the first set of groups do make me happy and show alot of promise.  Mac has seen the groups and he has a good feeling about it also.  Looks like I got a good deal on this one!!  Thanks Broken Arrow and Robin Hood!!

Now, I have never owned a 308, or shot one for that matter.  When I pulled the trigger for the first time on this rifle I must say I was pleasantly surprised.  I love the feel of the 308 round.  Little recoil for a med caliber weapon!!  It is a joy to shoot and you dont get beat up shooting it. LOVE IT
Thanks to Mac and few others here for the help so far.  I will be calling on your advice in the future as shooting time permits!!!!!!

Just might be my favorite new gun!! And that says alot if it makes me want to put the Model 70 30.06 in the safe for a while!!!!

Thanks
Jeff
With proper care and maintenance the human body will last a lifetime! :)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
308 update.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 06:22:37 PM »
Way to go Jeff...I'm glad it's working out for ya...can't wait to see how they work out at some real 308 ranges  :wink:

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline safetysheriff

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 308 update.
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 07:39:10 PM »
Quote from: Jeffery8mm
IT
Thanks to Mac and few others here for the help so far.  I will be calling on your advice in the future as shooting time permits!!!!!!

Just might be my favorite new gun!! And that says alot if it makes me want to put the Model 70 30.06 in the safe for a while!!!!

Thanks
Jeff

Jeff,

Read this when the time permits then:    Don't put the Model 70 in the safe.    Sell it outright and buy a real rifle :-) .....a Model 700.....in '06, again, or in .308 as a back up to your latest Handi'!!!

Win' Model 70's do not stack up, accuracy-wise, from what I've been reading, as do the Model 700's.     The REAL Rifleman's Rifle is the Model 700 CDL. 8)     Now that's a rifle.

Just my opinion,

SS'  

p.s.   Of course, my Model 700 isn't a back-up to anything.    My Model 700 is my Big Stick!
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Broken-arrow

• Avid Poster
308 update.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 02:58:07 AM »
:grin: Good deal Jeff, Glad you're happy with the trade. I knew it would shoot different on your rec. than it did on RH's.  Fred M is right, the poor accuracy is because of improper bbl to rec. fit. The thing was nothing but a head-ache to me. :x  Hope it turns out to be a real shooter for you.
   BTW;  RH replaced the .308 with a Win.Model 70 XTR Sporter .243, No head-aches there. This thing will SHOOT.  :shock:
Please write me off of GB outdoors, I do not want to be a part of it any more.

Deactivated as requested.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
308 update.
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 03:36:17 AM »
Makes me think, I have a Model 700 in .308 in my closet I have not looked at in years. I came with a nice checkered stock but it had a black forearm tip on it and at the time I thought it looked a bit fancy, also I did not want to take it in the woods for fear of scratching it and besides that I thought it was quite shiney for hunting. I replaced the stock with a black synthetic stock and put the wood stock aside for later use because it came with the gun. I don't ever remember shooting that gun! I bought it used but in great shape. I know the Model 700's are great shooters and before I retired I was on the Tactical Squad and our snipers used them. Perhaps I should get it out some day and shoot it..  So little time, so little money, so much I want to do....<><.... :-D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Jeffery8mm

• A Real Regular
308 update.
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 03:40:12 AM »
Hi there sheriff!  My model 70 Classic Sporter holds a very dear spot in my heart.  Couldnt dream of selling it.  As far as accuracy, it is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned or shot.  I am not an expert on ALL brands of rifles but I know what I own and shoot and the model 70 is a fine firearm.  The Winchester name is also a legend.  Not many remingtons conjure up nostalgic images of a deer hunter or a cowboy with his trust rifle.  But, to each his own.
Jeff

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
308 update.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2004, 03:42:18 AM »
LOL safetysheriff, So the model 70 doesn't stand up against a model 700 according to what you have read. Man get off the sofa and do some shooting!  :grin: I have owned both rifles and there is no practical difference between them that I can tell. I still have a  70, pre-64 30-06, and a 700, an old 25-06,. I like them both but they have been resting in a safe for many years, only see daylight to get a good cleaning.  They were my Dad's now they are retired.  Both are great shooters as are all the 70s and 700s I have owned.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
308 update.
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2004, 07:37:45 AM »
I have a couple nearly new 700Rem barrels sitting in the corner of my shop. One is from a 243 Mountain Rifle the other from a 308. Well they shoot ok but not what I call good. I also have a 300 Win Mag Model 70 that does not set the world on fire.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline superhornet

• Avid Poster
.308 updat
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2004, 08:22:25 AM »
Model 70 ?? Model 700 ??  Nice to look at rifles.  Sometimes good enough shooters to take hunting.   THE Hunting rifle in .308 ??  Any Savage...

Offline Jeffery8mm

• A Real Regular
308 update.
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2004, 09:43:59 AM »
Watch out now.  A man can be pretty protective of his rifle, that has been proven here before!!! :-D
Like I said, to each his own, as long as he owns at least one Handi :D

Jeff