Author Topic: Leupold VXII or Nikon Buckmaster  (Read 2363 times)

Offline Tdawg

• Trade Count: (0)
Leupold VXII or Nikon Buckmaster
« on: January 30, 2005, 02:45:39 AM »
:D I'm looking to put a new scope on top of my Howa 1500 varminter and can't decide between a Leupold VXII 4x12x40 or a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40.  Currently I have a Simmons WTC 6x20x50 on it and I'm sure either of my 2 choices will put it to shame.  I can get the Nikon for $200 and the Leupold for $325.  Both have the features I'm looking for but the Nikon has the mil-dot reticle which would be a nice addition. Is the Leupold worth another $125.00 for the same thing minus the mil-dot?  Any comments would be appreciated. :wink:

Offline Ramrod

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 02:43:41 PM »
I am one of those who believe you get what you pay for. (Or in other words, there is no such thing as a free lunch). So I would get the Leupold.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 05:48:04 PM »
I have a Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x50, and LOVE IT. Leupold's are overpriced, use good glass not great glass, have awsome customer service, and are GENIOUSES at marketing. You get a much better "bang for your buck" with the Nikon, but much better resale value with a Leupy(some sell higher used on Ebay than new!!).

In my case. When I buy a scope, I am going to keep it. Im not going to sell it, and try something else, If I buy it, its mine. SOOOOOO I dont think resale value is a big deal.

Nikon BM has better Light Transmission, and is just as reliable as a Leupy. It just doesnt have the "Gold Ring" on it.

Hope this helps, and I didnt mean to push anyones buttons....thats just how I view Nikon vs. Leupold.

:D  :D  :D
Good Hunting and Straight Shooting

Offline Ramrod

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 07:03:22 PM »
It just might be that "awsome customer service" that keeps us Leupold fans comming back! If there is a problem, they fix it. Imagine if you will, buying a car or truck, and no matter what goes wrong with it, no matter how long you own it, even if you bought it used,  the manufacturer makes it right. How much more would you be willing to pay for it? That kind of insurance is worth alot to some folks.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 01:22:56 AM »
I do not see a Nikon glass better than Leupolds. I have compared them both side by side and I chose Leupold.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Zachary

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 07:54:31 AM »
I respectfully disagree.  I also have both and comparing a Nikon Monarch to a Leupold Vari-X III puts the Leupold to shame.  In fact, when I received my Leupold Vari-X III 3.5x-10x-50mm Illuminated, I was disappointed.

Now, the Nikon Buckmaster is essentially the Pre-Monarch scopes - of which I own a few, and of which all of them have never let me down.

The Buckmaster to the VX-II is a good comparison, but the price difference is significant, with the Leupold (not surprisingly) being much more expensive.  If you are going to spend the kind of money that Leupold wants for it's VX-II, you are better off, in my opinion, getting a Nikon Monarch.

Zachary

Offline jackfish

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 08:19:24 AM »
The Leupold may not be as bright or clear as some other riflescopes but there is more to being a hunting rifle sighting instrument than being a little brighter or clearer.  Durability and excellent target acquisition under field conditions set the Leupold VX-II and VX-III above the Nikon Monarch.  After being a Leupold user for many years I always notice having to search for an adequate sight picture when looking through most other scopes.  Unforgiving eyebox or critical eye relief are terms easily applied to the Nikon.
You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 10:28:52 AM »
jackfish......i guess we agree to disagree....

I dont think Leupold's products are any better than Nikon's or Bushnell Elites. You may think so. You dont have to have a gold ring on the bell to have a good scope.

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 02:02:21 PM »
I agree that there are many other scopes that are very comparable or even better than Leupold for a lower price.  I am not saying Leupold is a bad scope at all, I have 2 that I use and like them very much.  It is just that Leupold is starting to get some stiff competition.

And Jackfish, that is not bashing Leupold either.  :wink:
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005, 10:23:23 AM »
Just kind of curious what give the right for someone else to determine that line?  There is a little known fact called "free of speech" :D
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 02:01:42 PM »
I think it all boils down to opinion. The old Ford verses Chevy thing.

I agree there is more to a hunting scope than optical clarity. But it sure is nice. I may half to try a Nikon Monarch in the near future to form my own opinion. It has been a few (10) years since I owned a nikon scope. I do know the Nikon 4-12 my friend in Wrangel had on his weatherby rifle was very poor optically in my opinion. maybe they have improved.

As far as the Bushnells. I liked the trophy I had better than the elete 3200. I have not tried a 4200 and probably will not because I can buy a leupold cheaper

If you guys want a inexpensive scope, relatively speaking, try a Swift premier. Very close to Leupold quality for 1/3 the price. Regards, Byron
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Zachary

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 03:18:49 PM »
You can buy a leupold cheaper than an Elite 4200?  Well, then you must be comparing a lower level leupold to the Elite 4200 - like perhaps a VX-II to the Elite 4200, but a true apples to apples comparison would be Elite 4200 to the VX-III (Unless you have connections with the mob or something like that  :)  )

Zachary
:D

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 03:46:52 PM »
Zakary, Yes the VX11 is my favorite scope. I actually owned a Varix3 one time that a friend gave me as a gift and  did not like it as well as the Varix2's that I had been using. I prefer the 2-7 power range.

A few years ago I bought 6 new bushnell scopes 4 trophies and 2 3200's. To my eye I preferred the trophies.

Before you start with your apples to oranges bologna. Let me say I know what I like. If my opinion differs from yours I guess we will just need to agree to disagree. I agree that usually you get what you pay for but sometimes you find a bargin. Our eyes don't always see the same way.

Regards, Byron
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2005, 12:55:46 AM »
But if a driver likes ford because they think that they are getting a better quality vehicle for less than a dodge or chevy.  And he express that, is that considered bashing?  I don't think so at all.  Jackfish, I know you know what I am talking about and I just want to say one thing, keep your nose out of other peoples business.  This is my last post to you.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

Offline Steelhead

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2005, 02:13:57 AM »
The Leupold may not be as bright or clear as some other riflescopes but there is more to being a hunting rifle sighting instrument than being a little brighter or clearer. Durability and excellent target acquisition under field conditions set the Leupold VX-II and VX-III above the Nikon Monarch. After being a Leupold user for many years I always notice having to search for an adequate sight picture when looking through most other scopes. Unforgiving eyebox or critical eye relief are terms easily applied to the Nikon.

I agree 110%.  SO many people change scopes by the pretty picture, when there is so much more that is important.

If you are just spending your time sitting in a deer stand, then you probably don't need the ruggedness. But if you actually HUNT and are not just a sitter, I would want a scope that is know for ruggedness. There is a reason that Leupold is still at it over 50 years later.

To each their own, and I am sure Goose is happy with his (after all a 15 year old has LOTS of experience, no slight Goose) . I am not saying they are bad, I just dance with who brought me.  

Of
Deactivated for behavior in response to a warning from GB.

Offline Steelhead

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2005, 02:16:24 AM »
Quote from: TheOpticZone
But if a driver likes ford because they think that they are getting a better quality vehicle for less than a dodge or chevy.  And he express that, is that considered bashing?  I don't think so at all.  Jackfish, I know you know what I am talking about and I just want to say one thing, keep your nose out of other peoples business.  This is my last post to you.

Dang Jon, whats got in your  butt???  I didn't see anywhere that Jackfish was being a pain. I assume there is more too this then meets the eye, if so I suggest you take it elsewhere.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2005, 04:06:47 AM »
Quote from: Steelhead
Quote from: TheOpticZone

Dang Jon, whats got in your ass???  I didn't see anywhere that Jackfish was being a pain. I assume there is more too this then meets the eye, if so I suggest you take it elsewhere.

I went through the whole thread and did not see were jackfish offended anyone either. He was just stating his opinion like the rest of us. Buy what you want, if you don't like suggestions from others don't read them. Plain and simple. If you want to make it personal PM him.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2005, 09:49:41 AM »
I would like to apologize for my actions.  I have been holding this for a while and kind of vented.  I should have not express my opinion on the board and I am sorry.

I went through the whole thread and did not see were jackfish offended anyone either. He was just stating his opinion like the rest of us. Buy what you want, if you don't like suggestions from others don't read them. Plain and simple. If you want to make it personal PM him.

I think that you maybe stating that to the wrong person Redhawk. Apparently some people only like opinions if they agree with their own.  If they don't agree, apparently it is considered bashing in their eyes.  Just need to make my point.  Like Jackfish stated, this matter is closed.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2005, 10:22:17 AM »
Steelhead.....here we go again with all the "he's younger, so he doesnt know anything" stuff........ill put it simple. The difference to me seems to be SO SMALL (b/t a Leupold and Nikon), that I can either tell a very slight difference, or not at all.....but one thing I do know: I know how much money I paid. And in this case feel I can get the same, if not better, our of a Nikon, as I can any Leupold.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2005, 06:33:12 PM »
I just wouldn't like to see someone going over the line.

I think someone may already have. We'll call it your free one. There are no more free ones here.

Dang Jon, whats got in your ass??? I didn't see anywhere that Jackfish was being a pain. I assume there is more too this then meets the eye, if so I suggest you take it elsewhere.

Same can be said for you Steelhead. That was your one free one. There will be no more. That's unacceptable behavior at GBO. Don't repeat it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2005, 02:51:55 AM »
TheOpticZone, my comment was not directed to you. It was a broad statement. We need to keep personal issues off the board. I say work them out via PM. Thanks  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Steelhead

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2005, 03:24:28 PM »
Quote from: Graybeard
I just wouldn't like to see someone going over the line.

I think someone may already have. We'll call it your free one. There are no more free ones here.

Dang Jon, whats got in your ass??? I didn't see anywhere that Jackfish was being a pain. I assume there is more too this then meets the eye, if so I suggest you take it elsewhere.

Same can be said for you Steelhead. That was your one free one. There will be no more. That's unacceptable behavior at GBO. Don't repeat it.

You are 110% correct. Thank you and I assure you it will not happen again. Unless of course I become a Sponsor, then I can obviously get away with more. :-D

P.S. Heck, even your Moderator agreed.................................

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2005, 06:02:44 PM »
Goodbye Steelhead, you will not be missed. Guess some folks don't undertand plain English. No more really does mean NO MORE.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!