Author Topic: First Time Handi-Rifle Owner with questions  (Read 510 times)

Offline Terrible Tom

• Trade Count: (0)
First Time Handi-Rifle Owner with questions
« on: December 30, 2004, 12:03:14 PM »
I bought a new 22-250 with the regular barrel.  I've read here recently some recommendations about bedding the scope rail and stock/tang joint and about changes for 2005.  My gun has the extractor, and I think that I'm glad it does.  It also has the new brown laminated stock (also good, I think).  I've topped it with a BSA Mil-Dot 6-24x40 scope and Leupold Huntsman rings from WW (recommended here).  I bought a box of 40 WW white box ammo (also recommended here).  I haven't shot it yet and probably won't until the holiday season is past and the weather improves.

I removed the scope rail with the intent of bedding it with some Magnum Steel putty epoxy (recommended by someone here in another thread).  The rail was already glued into place with a substance similar to clear nail polish.  It was not exactly easy to remove the remaining adhesive from the barrel (didn't really stick to the rail).

Is this 'factory scope rail bedding' a new thing?  I'm wondering if I even needed to bed the rail at all.

How important is it that I bed the stock/tang joint?

I'll buy an o-ring for the forearm the next time I'm at the hardware store.

Thanks for any advice you might offer.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 12:21:38 PM »
:D, Welcome Aboard Tom G., my advice it to clean the gun well, including the area between the scope rail and barrel. Tighten all screws firmly and try the gun, first without the o-ring then with it.  If your buttstock feels loose remove the recoil pad and tighten the stock bolt with a rachet, 2 long extensions and a 9/16th's socket. If it is not loose don't worry about it. Shoot the gun first before you play with it, you may have bought a shooter right out of the box!!! You are on the right track with everything you have so far. shoot slowly from a good rest, rest the gun well back on the forearm, near the hinge pin, pull the trigger all the way back for each shot, don't just "trip" it. Use good basics of sight picture, breathing and trigger squeeze. I think you will like what you see....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 01:49:20 PM »
Ditto:  Just like MSP said.  My Handi 30-06 has had nothing done to it except cleaning.  I can hit a clay target all day at 300 yards, and won't hesitate shooting a Deer or Wolf out to 600 yards.  Take wolves regularly at long ranges.  Took a nice Caribou last August with it, 200 yard shot to the heart lung area.  In November I killed a Moose with it, 250 yard shot to the forehead.  Both animals were killed with Nosler 180gr partition bullets.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.