Author Topic: Difference between gas check and plain base  (Read 809 times)

Offline Selmer

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
Difference between gas check and plain base
« on: February 08, 2003, 01:54:11 PM »
Ok, I'm new to shooting cast bullets and I have a wide selection of bullets coming from Lloyd Smale in trade for some linotype.  I'll be shooting these bullets out of a .454 Casull 12" barrel on my Encore.  What difference will the gas checks make in these bullets, weights are from 250gr. to 360gr.  I intend to work up a couple good plinking loads with some Universal and have some medium loads with 4227 and full-power loads with H110.  Should I avoid the use of plain-base bullets in any of these loads or just shoot and see what happens?  Please let me know the pros and cons of gas checked and plain base bullets.
Selmer
"Next to the glory of God, music deserves the highest praise"-Martin Luther
Any homo sapien with the proper chromosomes can be labeled a father, but it takes a man to be called "Daddy"-unknown

Offline Billy Marr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.bbtcastbulletsales.com
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2003, 03:36:49 AM »
there should be no problem useing plain base bullets with that setup. You will fine some very accurate plinking loads when using the plain base.
lead bullets done right

Offline TexasMac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2003, 06:30:07 AM »
Selmer, for "plinking loads" I agree with Billy Marr, but for full-power loads you may find that gas checks provides an edge in accuracy.  I found in my rifles that cast fired at velocities over the 1600 fps range required gas checks to maintain accuracy.  I have also convinced myself that max-power loads in my Colt Anaconda 44-mag requires gas checks for best accuracy.  The latter may be all perception on my part but in some cases perception is half the battle.  So, when I load for max velocities in my rifles or revolvers I always use gas-checked bullets.  But I enjoy the process of casting and loading almost as much if not more than the actual shooting so I don't mind the extra step to add gas checks.
Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member
http://www.texas-mac.com
As Warren Miller once said "Don't take life seriously because you can't come out of it alive."

Offline RBak

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2003, 03:26:08 PM »
" I found in my rifles that cast fired at velocities over the 1600 fps range required gas checks to maintain accuracy. "

Texas Mac, That seems to be about the "upper limit" for not using gas checks due to leading. Gas checks are indeed a wonderful thing when used correctly. I personally don't use them on my .44, but then again when shooting cast I'm usually well under 1,000fps, sometimes only 900 or so. I do use them on my hunting rifles (the three that I cast for, and hunt with) I have recovered 3 bullets from game with the gas check intact and the lead nose dubbled in caliber.
I have pushed cast bullets w/gas checks to almost 2,100fps. with no signs of leading. I have also pushed loads to 1700 w/o gas checks that took months to get the lead out of the barrel.
Gas checks are a necessary evil in my mind, but after a while you get to like them, and start respecting them for what they do.
Russ
Vegetarian........ Old indian word for lousy shot.