Author Topic: deer/hog question?  (Read 555 times)

Offline oktx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
deer/hog question?
« on: January 02, 2005, 12:23:11 PM »
I'am ready to start hunting hogs.  My feeder is about 30 yds. from a well used deer trail that we killed three nice deer from.  Do you think I should move the feer to another location so that I don't put too much pressure on the deer and they stop using the trail?  The lease is 195 acres with a river running through the middle of it. thanks, oktx

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
deer/hog question?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 07:11:03 AM »
I wouldn't move it, just bring a camera and take pictures of the deer.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline JPSaxMan

deer/hog question?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 10:06:56 AM »
Sounds to me like you can just stay put. Good luck with the hogs.  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline rockbilly

deer/hog question?
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 02:31:27 PM »
oktex,  Most of my hunting is on my place between Abilene and San Angelo.  Over the years I have studied the deer on this place, and payed a lot of attention to the hogs that roam across (after tearing down fence) the property.  I have witnessed deer and hogs on the same feeder.  Several years ago I had six-seven doe on the feeder and watched as a young Bobcat crossed the creek and walked down the trail, it stopped and was watching the deer.  The deer knew it was there but didn't spook.  About that time a big sow with 8-10 little pigs crossed the creek and started up the same path toward the Bobcat.  The Bobcat took off like a pack of dogs was after it.  The pigs wandered down to the feeder and started feeding with the deer.  After a short period, the sow started running at the deer, they spooked and ran off.  The point is, the hog is the boss.  

I don't think it would hurt a thing to shoot them on the feeder.  I would take them away from the feeder to field dress tho.  I don't shoot hogs anymore, I trap them and either sell them or fatten them up in a pen for three-four weeks and take them live to the butcher and let him do the work.