Author Topic: Match TC bbl - my 2c  (Read 795 times)

Offline Nate C

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
Match TC bbl - my 2c
« on: February 03, 2003, 09:18:26 AM »
:grin:

The person on ebay is pitching a sale, simple.  

I shot a 22lr TC 'Match' bbl just yesterday with CCI mini mags, Rem Subsonics, and Federal Gold Targets.  None of which are really match ammo and all of which worked just fine.    Granted I haven't tried all brands of 22lr ammo but so far, if the chamber was clean everything worked as it should.

Note the chamber being cut a little tighter you do have to clean it more frequently than some others.

Regarding your Ruger, CB caps, shorts, longs and long rifles will work, but Ruger doesn't make a point to recommend them because they will cause the front (unfilled) portion of the cylinder to get dirty sooner than if full-length long rifles are used.    If you shot 200-300 shorts one afternoon and then tried to load a lr shell without cleaning it might not chamber very easily.   For me the subsonics are just as quiet as the shorts and a little more accurate, so I don't worry about it much.

Offline Sixgun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Contender 22LR Match
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2003, 09:51:42 AM »
You can shoot ALMOST ANY AMMO in a match barrel.  DON'T TRY TO SHOOT CCI STINGERS in a match barrel.  

When you load a normal long rifle cartridge in a match barrel, it sticks out about 1/16 of an inch and when you close the action, the bullet is forced into the rifling.  The longer brass of the stinger will mess up the rifling and also the added accuracy you get from a match barrel.

I haven't tried but I guess if you want to, you can shoot shorts and longs in a match barrel, but why would you want to?

Sixgun
You can only hit the target if the barrel is pointed in the right direction when the bullet leaves the barrel.

Offline Nate C

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
Stingers / Subsonics
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2003, 02:04:24 PM »
Yup, that makes sense about the stingers, I forgot that those- Isn't the brass a little longer?    Might have problems with some of the Aguilla rounds also now that I think about it.

I get Remington Subsonic Hollowpoints at GI Joes here in Oregon, haven't chrony'd them, but they run about ~2$ per box.  

Natec

Offline SteveAZ

• Trade Count: (0)
Nate? Where you find the subsonics?
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2003, 10:42:43 AM »
Hi kenmc77777,

Most of the Eley and Lapua stuff is subsonic. You can find manufacturer stated, and if you look around a little, measured velocities on the web. I've put about 150 rounds through a new factory 22 lr match barrel. I've only shot Eley,  Pistol Standard and Target Pistol throught it but it seems to shoot pretty well. I've used Eley in my 40X rifle for years so when I got the Contender I tried it. I get the Eley stuff from Bruno's Shooters Supply. It's a mail order place for bench rest and accuracy shooting. Their prices are as good as or better than I've found anywhere else.

Good Luck,
SteveAZ
NRA Life Member
AZ Rifle and Pistol Assoc