Author Topic: Home Made 38-55 Bullets  (Read 685 times)

Offline riverjackal

• Trade Count: (0)
Home Made 38-55 Bullets
« on: January 17, 2005, 12:37:25 PM »
Has anyone on this forum ever made jackets for the 38 55 round from 38 special cases ? They are almost the right size already, I know the rim would have to come off . If so what do I need to start ? I  have the cases already. I would also like to know , not from a salesman, but  from an experienced shooter, how to draw down .429 jackets and make .378 bullets for 38 55.
  Can anyone here give advice ? I want a bullet that I can shoot without bankruptcy.  Thank you
 :-D

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Home Made 38-55 Bullets
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 01:34:35 PM »
riverjackal, I make jacketed 38-55 bullets @.377" diameter. Have never made the jackets out of .38 brass, thou. I do know that you can't use the nickled cases, and that it would be wise to anneal the cases before you work them. I buy my jackets from Butch and they are .375"d as made. That is so much easier than working with cartridge brass! As to drawing down 44 jackets to .375, one would use a jacket reduction die made for that purpose. You can pick one up at CH/4D or at one of the Corbin brothers...it's sort of a standard item. After reduction annealing is recommended. 8)