Poll

Would this inerest you?

Total Members Voted: 79

Voting closed: January 05, 2005, 12:47:58 AM

Author Topic: Please Read This and VOTE.... Thank You  (Read 3374 times)

Offline Keith L

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
Please Read This and VOTE.... Thank You
« on: January 05, 2005, 01:40:57 AM »
I think your survey sample might be skewed here with many of us techies.  Your proposed service is a good concept.  I see it quite valuable to many people and small businesses.  I wish you luck with this.  Keep us informed as to your progress.  A couple of my clients may be good candidates for your services.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 03:49:29 AM »
Matt:

Me personally? No.  But I can see a small business going for it if it includes LAN, PC, Printer, and Fax support, repairs, maintenance, backups, and upgrades. If the company has a copier, they probably already have a pretty good relationship with their copier supplier.  

The Geek Squad in Minneapolis is similar in concept, and they probably have a web site.

One interesting trend I have seen in many businesses is to discard and replace equipment at the first sign of trouble. This is because it costs less to replace it that to even do one service call on it. In fact, my current client discards ink jet printers rather than replacing the cartridges.  I have done the same thing with all manner of computing equipment.
Safety first

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 11:27:01 AM »
It would be just what I may need ...but I am probably too "non-technical" to take advantage of it!...LOL
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline redbuzz

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 03:18:32 PM »
Matt,

I think it is a good idea with one major challenge!

Networks and computer configurations most often fail because of device, software and network interaction.  Too many "help" services seem to focus in on a particular device or piece of software or network protocol, etc.  When there is a problem, fingers point all over the place and the poor user doesn't know what to do.

Are you suggesting a service that would deal with the interactivity issues?  If so, I would vote strongly for it.  As written, I said no.  Let me know, I'll change my vote!

Regards,  Ray

www.firearmbuzz.com

Offline unclenick

My Vote
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 03:21:47 PM »
I voted to want to see a demo.  I am a EE by training and before that (early 70's) spent a year as a radio station chief engineer and even co-owned a TV repair shop for a couple more years.  So I would see this service as a modernized version of the old Sam's Photofacts folders.  It might well be useful.  

As for businesses, if they are like my company it might work.  We have three sparkys among us.  If the company doesn't have technicians and/or engineering geeks though. people will be as intimidated by the technology as they've always have been.  It's the places with technical staff that will find this useful.

Nick

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 11:19:02 PM »
All I can say is it better not come from a fellow named Raji, who speaks with an Indian accent!

If you decide to offer support services, companies who now do support from india would be my primary target.  That would include IBM, HP, Dell, Cisco, etc...etc...etc....

My customers despise speaking to India, but for what ever reason, love the Irish and Australians.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline nfmMike

• NC better be America, S. Florida sure wasn't!
    • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 02:44:54 AM »
Matt - I think your idea is a good one, and I can see that there would be a market for it. I wish you the best in your endeavor.

I have over 20 years electronis and computing experience, BUT, I am the type that has to sit at the item and start trying many differnt things, thinking all the while what reacts to what. And I can't do it with anyone looking over my shoulder either - invariably I get a ton of questions that slows me down, because I do really want to explain.

Best of luck!
Semper Fi!
Mike

Offline Donna

• Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 08:29:19 AM »
I was an electronic tech in computers for 18 years, long time ago, but the stuff built in the last 10 years is for a throw away society and is not usually made to be fixed or is so inexpensive it is not worth the money to fix just buy a new one. Besides, my experience with tech support is that the people don’t know what it is they’re trying to fix and if it’s not on some sheet of paper there worthless because there not a technician in the first place.

Donna
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline Yukon Gold

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 10:47:34 AM »
Will you provide some type of performance guarantee.  What if you cannot provide the answer/support that I might need?  

My wife considers me a "techno-geek", so maybe my questions may be too obscure for many tech support personnel, but my personal experience has been disappointment with the level of support I get from most companies.  It would be nice to be able to talk to someone, instead of typing a message at a website, and hope for an answer.
Vegetarian - An Old Indian Word For Lousy Hunter

NRA Life Member
SASS - Silverback
NCOWS
Navy Vet. - USNA 83

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 09:50:48 PM »
Sounds like a great service for someone that is more at home with the stuff than I am ( which is almost everyone)...LOL
   Perhaps this old grandad could get some use and instruction from it...

Note: "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction."   ...see Proverbs 1:7
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline deerslayer15

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2005, 01:45:53 AM »
can anyone tell me why I can't go to any of the topics on the formus index. When i click on any of them it just takes me back to the formus index agian. The only reason i got here was the link on top.
DEER SEASON IS OVER, BUT THERE IS STILL RABBIT, SQUIRREL AND SPRING GOBBLER.  :biggun: :lol:

P$$$ ON P.E.T.A[/size]

Offline YoungPupNE

couldn't find an answer that fit
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2005, 01:59:09 AM »
I wanted to vote, "No, I just pay for it as I need it; luckily, that's not too often."  I didn't feel like I fit the other two No choices.

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2005, 04:36:56 PM »
Matt, I tried to post a reply the other night, just after unclenick and before your second post,when I voted but lost my post to a bad dial up connection. I'm kind of glad though as I do understand better what you are wanting to do. I will hit the main point from that post here though as that thought has not changed.
I think that you might be better served on the gold plan by cutting your basic response time for that plan to one hour, but (and here is the important part) charge some kind of extra charge for the use of urgent tickets. The reason is that if available at no extra charge I would bet that 80% of those members would use an urgent ticket even if thay did not really need to. When the business is still small this may not make much difference but if the idea takes off it will. The use if to many urgent tickets would cut down your response time for all customers and for those that truly are urgent. For the past 20 years, in addition to my full time job, I have worked part time in the darkroom and at the counter at a photography studio, I can't tell you how many times I have had to stop working on an order that was in house for a week or so to do an order that just came in because that the customer has to have it by tomorrow for one reason or another. I'd say that 70% or so of those rush orders were not picked up for two or three extra days, weeks and even months.
Anyway just my  :money:
Good luck
BruceP
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2005, 08:21:42 PM »
Sorry but I voted no. While a need for support is there, I refuse to pay for it.  there are too many time in the past I have paid for wasted time.  I realize your promise, but with the net and network of friends, I usually find it free or figure it out.

Good luck on your venture, it is a good idea.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2005, 08:27:21 PM »
I've used this service several times, works pretty well and there is no charge. And if I can answer someone else's question, I get points that can be used to answer my questions.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jvs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2005, 05:28:20 AM »
I like things to be 'stupid proof' when I buy them.  I am not a techie.

As a member from the older generation, I can only speak for myself.  Even if you did have that service, it would do me no good unless you offered every conceivable part that would need to be replaced, at reasonable prices...and offer support to replace such parts.   Without some sort of background I could never pretend to be able to repair a DVD player any more than I could repair a Laptop.

I know people who work on all sorts of electronics, some VCR/DVD, some computer equipment.   With most electronics having a life of 6 months to a year before it is considered a Dinosaur, it's cheaper for me to buy something new when older pieces wear out.
 If you want to run with the Wolves, you can't Pee with the Puppies.

Offline whodowl

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2005, 07:11:59 AM »
Hi Matt :D

I suppose you want honest answers or you wouldn't ask.  I voted to look at your free demo.  

Frankly, I don't know what a new company like this could offer that is not already free of charge.  If your anticipated customer is intelligent enough to surf the web, they will find the free service.  

Everyone I know is, or has a friend or relative who can furnish what you will offer at a charge, for free.  Even home networking and personal web site are becoming commonplace and easy enough to do by the average lay person.

Unless you can change the rules of 802.11b, the only IT services I can see that would be marketable now would be for the new flood of satellite, WAP, and wireless-G customers.  IMHO

Existing hardware used by your hope-to-be customers really are throw-aways.

Good luck anyways.  :D

Offline jasonfb

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2005, 07:42:40 AM »
is this something you can offer to women only.  Cause no man will ever ask for direction if my wife has anything to say about it.
heheh.
Seriously, if your idea has any profit potential at all, the Indians will copy the idea, pay workers 1/10th of what you can offer and laugh all the way to the bank.  You may wish to beat them to the punch and start the company off-shore to begin with.  Hyderbad is nice this time of year.
Good luck,
Jason.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2005, 04:06:51 AM »
I've got the ++PLATINUM++ plan. I call the blonde headed kid in the kool shades and tell him to get his butt over here and fix my puter.  :-D

Just the other night even tho I have both Spy-Bot and Norton on my computer and keep them up dated daily I got a bug, more specifically a worm, that wormed it's way past on New Year's Day. He came over and using some black magic and a bit of smoke and mirrors fixed it so it now works right again. And faster than in a long time. Now iffen he could just get his mom's e-mail working again all would be good in computer land.  :eek:

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!