Author Topic: Info needed, 1886 45-70  (Read 674 times)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Info needed, 1886 45-70
« on: February 11, 2005, 02:53:36 PM »
Hello, I'm here looking for info. It's on an old Winchester. A guy I know just dropped it off at my house. He has had it for years and it came from a friends father. I told him I'd try to get some info on it knowing someone here could point me in the right direction.
It is a 1886 Winchester in 45-70, steel cresent buttplate, pistol grip stock , full length magazine, hand checkered pistol grip and forearm but worn a bit smooth from years of use, the forearm has a steel cap on the front, it has a hull Octagon barrel just a shade under 26" long, serial #147xxxA, flip up ladder sight on the barrel appx 6" ahead of the chamber end which appears to be marked for up to 300 yards, there appears to be a plastic or horn pistol grip cap with the words "Winchester Repeating Arms Co." encircling it held on by one center screw. It's obviously been a hunting gun all it's life with a browned patina over a lot of the blue. This is borne out by the stories of it's earlier use...Thanks for any help..What year was it made? Whats it worth? Is there a Winchester historian or address where he could get the history of this rifle traced to keep with it?...Thanks for any help....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Ramrod

• Trade Count: (0)
Info needed, 1886 45-70
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 06:05:57 PM »
What year was it made?

Post 1900. My references only go that far and that is around the 120000-122000 serial number range.
Whats it worth?

In good condition over $2500.
Is there a Winchester historian or address where he could get the history of this rifle traced to keep with it?

The Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody Wyoming used to do this, maybe they still do, I don't know.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Info needed, 1886 45-70
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 01:58:00 AM »
Thanks Ramrod, I have recieved info it's 1908-1909. I will Contact Cody on Monday....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley