Author Topic: Mountain Goats or Sheep ?  (Read 506 times)

Offline msorenso

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Mountain Goats or Sheep ?
« on: February 06, 2005, 04:17:13 AM »
What in the past have people used to hunt Mountain Goats or Sheep ?
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline Yukon Jack

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 07:47:35 PM »
Which rifles, which cartridges, what what?

Personally, I've used 7x57, 300 Win Mag, 300 H&H Mag, and 338 Win Mag.  Just depends on where I'm hunting and what else is there.  If you are hunting where there are no big bears, any deer cartridge that is relatively flat shooting will work.  I know guys that thave used 243's and some that have used 375 H&H's.  Ideally, if you don't have to worry about bears, I think a 257 Wby or 270 Wby would be the ticket.  Sheep aren't hard to kill once you find them and get within range.  Goats are a little tougher, though not enough to worry about a more powerful rifle.  Bob Hagel did very well with quarter bore rifles, including the 25-284.

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 02:03:08 PM »
msorenso,

Ditto to everything that 'Yukon Jack' had to say.  My only comment is that I found the Mountain Goat to be one tough customer.  Not only to collect physically but hard to put down without them making one last leap off some cliff(which usually means busted horns that get lost).  Use enough gun to anchor them on the where they are.  I used my .300 Weatherby Magnum to take mine.  One suggestion, make sure you’re in the best shape of your life.  Them mountains are steep and high.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.