Author Topic: Buckshot for deer/hogs ?  (Read 727 times)

Offline ronbow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Buckshot for deer/hogs ?
« on: October 13, 2005, 03:33:00 AM »
How does anyone feel about using buckshot (not slugs) for deer/hogs ? I am against and will never use it. I have seen too many animals wounded and not recovered. I have also killed game with bow/rifle that had old buck shot wounds. The animals I have seen killed by buckshot usually look like they were machine gunned or blasted by one of those claymore mines we used in Nam. I think most shotgunners also tend to overestimate the ability of their gun.

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
Buckshot for deer/hogs ?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 03:46:02 AM »
In some areas that is all they will allow you to use. You learn to keep your shots under 35 yards.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Buckshot for deer/hogs ?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 03:57:49 AM »
Quote from: PA-Joe
In some areas that is all they will allow you to use. You learn to keep your shots under 35 yards.

That is the key, keeping shots under 35 yards. I know guy that will try 70 or more yard shots.  :evil:

I also have taken several deer with my shotgun with a slug or my bow that had buck shot in there heads, neck, and back side.

My good friend is a taxidermist and I see a lot of deer that come in and have buckshot all over the deer.

Personally, I would never use buck shot for a hunting situation, I don't agree with it, but like PA-Joe said, there are some areas that will only allow it.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline JPSaxMan

Buckshot for deer/hogs ?
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 07:05:31 AM »
Out in Pennsylvania there are several WMU's that only permit the use of buckshot.

I dunno why you'd use it (if you have the option) over a rifle or even a muzzleloader?  :?
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline xs pro-comp

Buckshot for deer/hogs ?
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 06:52:54 AM »
I personally think that buckshot should be outlawed. Too many wounded deer end up suffering unnecessarily each year simply because there are some who think that if they can see the deer then it's in range to be shot at. My personal feelings are that if you are going to hunt use a single projectile round and be proficient with it.

Offline kkeetr

• http://webpages.charter.net/kkeetr/index.html
Buckshot for deer/hogs ?
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 11:51:34 PM »
Based on my experiences, I will never use buckshot again.  The only deer I ever lost was shot with buckshot and most of the ones I've knocked down with buckshot have required additional 'administrations' to seal the deal.  Not pleasant.
2074 MILES FROM HOME