Author Topic: Ultra Slug?  (Read 807 times)

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Ultra Slug?
« on: December 30, 2004, 10:04:44 AM »
It looks like my area may be going shotgun only for deer hunting, so I'm looking to beat the rush. I'm trying to decide which Ultra Slug to get. First off is the Ultra Slug Deluxe worth the extra bucks? The only difference I can see is the laminate stock versus the hardwood stock. I also like the idea of the short barrel, quick handling of the 20 guage youth model, but don't want to be underpowered. Any suggestions?
Don

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
Ultra Slug?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 10:21:36 AM »
Yes, the only difference between the Deluxe and Standard model is the stocks, which besides being cosmetic, the laminates are a bit heavier as well, which absorbs more recoil.

I am using the 12ga myself in both the Ultra and Tracker II, but many here like the 20ga and don't feel undergunned. Kept within realistic range limits, either gun will do the job, although the 12ga obviously has more power.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Ultra Slug?
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 10:42:28 AM »
Big Blue,

The Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe stock and forearm is also checkered and it comes with a sling. Other than that they are the same.

I have a 20ga Ultra Slug Hunter Limited Edition that some retailers that belong to a special buyers group can order. I looks just like the USHD except the stock and forearm have no checkering and doesn't have a sling. The price is in the $200 to $210 range in my area.

The USH is going for around $180 and the USHD is going for $235 in my area. All of them well worth the price IMHO.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
Ultra Slug?
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 02:06:31 PM »
Thanks guys. I have always hunted with a rifle in the past, so my knowledge of slug guns is nil. I did a little reading, and Hornady is claiming a 1900FPS 12 guage slug! They say they're about the same as the 45/70, with 2.0" high at 50, 2.5" high at 100, dead on at 150, and 7" low at 200 yards. That's incredible from a shotgun! I wonder how that Ultra Slug would look wearing a BC stock? BTW: Wally World is asking $176 for the Ultra Slug.
Don

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
Ultra Slug?
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 02:30:25 PM »
You'll want to try out a few different slugs in your gun after you get it, as they don't all shoot the same. Once you find your preferred load, then just like with rifles, practice. With high performance ammo and lots of practice, 100yd plus shots are not out of the question.

Also, I believe all the ultra slugs come with a sling, my standard version did, but that was years ago. Its not much of a sling though, so you'll probably want a better one either way.

Offline hunter01

Re: Ultra Slug?
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 03:22:43 PM »
Quote from: Big Blue
It looks like my area may be going shotgun only for deer hunting, so I'm looking to beat the rush. I'm trying to decide which Ultra Slug to get. First off is the Ultra Slug Deluxe worth the extra bucks? The only difference I can see is the laminate stock versus the hardwood stock. I also like the idea of the short barrel, quick handling of the 20 guage youth model, but don't want to be underpowered. Any suggestions?
Don
As they stated the wood is the only difference.  I have both the 12 and the 20 ultra's and I love them both.  In my opinion buy the 12. It's heavier and hits harder.  I have found that the big ox 12 with it's weight produces better groups for me at 100 yards.  Right around 1.5 inches with federal's.  My 20 is a bit lighter and I get a little more shake even with a gun vice.  Keep in mind the 12 with that big bull barrel is a beast to carry but you'll never miss if you practice with it and get confident.
E-mail Ublyhunter@comcast.net

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
Ultra Slug?
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 03:35:10 PM »
Hunter01,
Thanks! That kind of first hand info is a big help. I can't say that I'm happy about not being able to use a rifle to hunt with, but if that's the case, this is the shotgun to pick.
Don

Offline hunter01

No Problem
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 03:46:23 PM »
Quote from: Big Blue
Hunter01,
Thanks! That kind of first hand info is a big help. I can't say that I'm happy about not being able to use a rifle to hunt with, but if that's the case, this is the shotgun to pick.
Don
Np problem Don! If you get yourself a good range finder I promise you that gun will prove successful on deer over 150 yards.  The only variable at long ranges is obviously the wind and type of rest you have during the hunt.  If you play with that gun at 100,150 & even 200 yards you'll know it inside and out.  I've tossed shots at 180 and could clearly hear the bullet hit on impact which sounded almost like almost a few seconds after I pulled the trigger.  Penetration is adequate at this distance if you're in the lungs.  Just be careful though, heavy winds can leave you wondering at this distance. I only take shots like this when it's dead calm out.
E-mail Ublyhunter@comcast.net

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
Ultra Slug?
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 04:04:02 AM »
I would strongly urge caution on exptecting 150 to 200 yd shooting capabilities, unless one is going to spend a LOT of time shooting at those distances at the range. Also, at $2-3 every time you pull the trigger, getting proficient at those ranges could easily get into the hundreds or even thousands of dollars. I would consider these ranges equivalent to the typical rifle hunter attempting 300-400yd shots--yes, ballistically the energy is there to do the job, but this is getting to the realm of the expert shooter who has "done his time" on the range.

Although these are highly accurate guns, they are still slug guns and somewhat limited due to the BC of the projectiles, and the velocities. Wind drift is definitely a huge factor and may be measured in feet not inches under some conditions. Also, publically published ballistic information is often "fluffed" for marketing purposes, and the manufacturer's disclaimer of "your results may vary" always apply.

These are fine guns, and very capable to 100 or 125yds in the hands of someone who has a steady rest and a reasonable amount of range time under his belt. Longer shots than that should only be attempted by "experts" under "ideal" conditions.

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Ultra Slug?
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 10:10:17 AM »
BUY THE 20 ga. it has PLENTY of power out to 200 yds. ask any pro hunter how much power is needed for a whitail...... thay'l say 1000-1100 ft/lbs of energy. the 20 ga. remington ultra bonded 260 gr has 1085 ft/lbs at 200 yds and 1350 fps. the 20 ga. federal barnes x HV has plenty of power out to 175 yds. i'm NOT saying a 20 ga. OR 12 ga. has the accuracy out to 200 yds , you just won't be uder guned w/ a 20 ga.  as for accuracy my 20 ga. ultra sugger is shooting one ragged hole at 50 yds, 1.5'' at 100 ,  3'' at 150 yds,  3-5'' at 175 yds, and 5-6'' at 200 yds. JEFF223 has a 20 ga. ultra and is MOA at 100 yds. hope this helps........... :P
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Ultra Slug?
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2005, 10:14:18 AM »
......... i forgot the trajectory of the 20 ga. remington ultra bonded 260 gr.
50 yds 1.5''+
100yds 1.3''+
150yds 0.0
200yds 7.0''- at 1900 fps these are amazing deer huntin slugs :eek:  :eek:
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline Flingarrows

• Trade Count: (1)
Ultra Slug?
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 03:48:28 PM »
i have the ultra 20 and love it. i tried 4 brands of slug and settled on the lightfields... whichever gun you settle on, you won't be disappointed