Author Topic: Tracker II  (Read 1605 times)

Offline kevtn

• Trade Count: (0)
Tracker II
« on: January 03, 2005, 08:32:17 AM »
From what I have read most you guys are using 20ga.  Is there much difference in knockdown power in 12 vs 20? Most of my shots will be under 125yards. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the 12ga.

Thanks !!

Offline jeff223

Tracker II
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 06:16:37 PM »
i think there are lots of 12ga trackers out there too.it seems like there are more guys talking about the 20ga slugguns this year.

the 12ga trackers have alot more recoil than the 20s.its harder to drill and tapp the 12ga for a scope but thats about it for bad things

there are more slugs available for a 12ga slugguns to choose from and the 12s have alot more knockdown power than the 20 but the 20 has plenty for deer size game

i shot 12ga slugguns most of my life and i never even gave a 20ga a thought.a few years back i decided to have a ultraslug 20ga barrel fitted to a handi rifle frame and im glad i did.my son wants a ultraslug now and he wants a 12ga.im sending my 10ga turkey gun frame in for the 12ga barrel.

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
Tracker II
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 03:54:10 AM »
I have 2 12ga Traccker II's. I prefer the 12ga due to extra power, verstility and ammo availability. There are some good 20ga loads, but local availability can dwindle close to deer season even on the 12ga stuff, so I wouldn't want to chance it. If you ever decide to reload (as these slugs are very expensive), you have many more options and components available for the 12ga.

The 12ga can be drilled and tapped, but by someone who really knows how to do it. I sent mine out to a fell in Massachusets and he did a very good job. He made the holes flat bottem with a mill and cut the screws flat on the end so they have max holding power with a shorter than normal depth. He then reinforces the whole thing with epoxy. The mount is hence not really removable, but I don't plan on pulling it off anyway.

As to recoil, it is considerable in the Tracker 12ga due to its weight. I have "dead mule" in mine, and the gun still only weighs 6.5lbs. I am using Caldwells "lead sled" wich makes sighting in a breeze and takes care of the recoil. I am also using a "bear tooth" slip on recoil pad which is very thick and soft. I took only 1 shot in the field this year with Lightfield slug, and I don't even remember feeling the recoil.

After this season, my 12ga ultra is being retired and being replaced by the 12ga Tracker II. I like the light weight and quick handling nature of this little slug gun. It is also just as accurate. The advantage of the Ultra is less felt recoil, but you pay for it by lugging around a 12pounder all day.

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
Tracker II
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 03:50:30 PM »
I hunted with a 12ga Tracker II this year. I  spent a considerable amount of time this past Spring finding a load that was tolerable to me, as well as tempering recoil. I sent my barrel out to Mag-Na-Port to be "Pro-Ported" This was about $80, and well worth it. The gun's fore end no longer jumps out of my hand at the range after a couple of rounds have been let off! :shock: THEN I installed a mercury  recoil reducer from Brownells in the buttstock.  This helped, but I still could not shoot enough of those 1 1/4 oz and 1 3/8oz Brennekes to get them sighted in properly.
So I looked for a 1 oz sabot that was not too expensive to try out, and found the Winchester BRI  sabot and the Federal Classic 1oz. sabot. These are essentially the same slug, as they print to the same point of impact. NOW it just feels like a high powerered centerfire, so I can concentrate on the next shot at the range......3 rounds touching @ 50 yds,  1 1/2" groups @ 100 yds.

The weight of the Tracker II is great....I spent a lot of time moving around in VERY heavy brush. This would have been more exhausting with my old Ultra Slug.....

I had the power I wanted, and could be confident that if I could see a deer long enough to get a shot off,  I could make the shot count.

As it turned out, I got a nice doe on State Land. I shot her a about 5-10 yards as she passed by at full speed......

BTW, I was wary that my aging eyes need to use a scope to hunt anything, but that has been disproven.  Even in weak daylight, the "partridge style" open sights that come  on the Tracker II  are easy to pick up even  when  things are happening! :lol:
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline Duce

• Avid Poster
Tracker II
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 07:54:09 AM »
Kevtn: The first Tracker II I owned, I traded a Mossberg 500 pump full rifled slug gun for.  This was about the first year NEF put out a rifled slug gun out, with Rem. solid coppers I took don't know how many deer.  At the time I worked at a local gunshop mounting scopes and repairing everything under the sun. Honestly it was fairly easy to mount a scope, with access to a B-Square scope mount drilling jig and taking care to measure wall thickness.  I fell victim to the grass is greener syndrome, selling it I bouhgt an 1100 with a cantilever, rifled barrel, it didn't shoot as well as the Tracker and like the Mossberg carried like a 4X4.  Enter Tracker No. 2, painted sky blue and gray an attempt at camouflage.  Well it shot every bit as well the first one, kicked just as hard, and carried as well.   Yes, recoil can be a major one concern, but can be dealt with, to me a slug gun is a 100 yd. weapon, (personal opinion, I realize that many are having success at longer ranges) but shoot I enjoy hunting up close and personnel.  This in mind I use mostly 2 3/4" shells, Brenneke 1 oz.  KO's  or the KO saboted work well, shoot same P.O.I. at 50 yds. while the sabots shoot about 2" higher @ 100.  Yea!! guess I'm pretty well sold out on Handi's and Pardeners, if you think it takes more than one shot, I think you aught to practice a little more.  Looks Like A New Signature:  
:-D  <>< Duce:
What ever you'll put up with, is exactly what you'll get!!!!!