Author Topic: Adjustable Objective and Parralax  (Read 667 times)

Offline farmerboyMT

• Trade Count: (0)
Adjustable Objective and Parralax
« on: January 15, 2005, 12:55:07 PM »
Okay I getting confused.  Are adjustable objective and Parralax adjustment the same thing?  I currently have a 8-32 BSA AO that I'm looking to replace, I like Burris's Signature and Fullfield II scopes but they say they are Parralax adjustable not AO.  I've looked around on the internet but can't seem to get a real clear idea.  I understand what parralax is, but that doesn't answer my question.  Could somebody please explain this in plain english.  
Thanks
Bryan Danley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 01:09:38 PM »
Different names for the same function. Actually the PA is what is does and AO is how it does it.... :wink:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline farmerboyMT

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 01:12:00 PM »
Thanks I was getting really frustrated

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 01:17:39 PM »
Parallax is when the reticle is not focused on the same plane as the target. This has nothing to do with the target being in focus. If the parallax is off enough (especially with higher magnifications) the reticle will appear to move if you move your eye alignment to the bore axis of the scope. Some scopes have an adjustable objective lens to adjust parallax. Some have a side adustment (not AO). Usually you don't see parallax adjustment on scopes under 10x now unless the scope is for close range shooting like air rifles or rimfires. For big game hunting at normal ranges parallax adjustable scopes aren't needed.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Zachary

Re: Adjustable Objective and Parralax
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 05:42:27 AM »
Quote from: farmerboyMT
I like Burris's Signature and Fullfield II scopes

The Signature line is better than the Fullfield II line.  I own Burris Black Diamonds which are more expensive than the either of the either lines, but I am not too happy with them.  For the money, you should take a look at the Elite 4200s.  I know they make them in 6x-24x and that really should be enough magnification for just about anyone.

Zachary

Offline farmerboyMT

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 04:25:57 PM »
I've heard and read that the 4200s have a lot of mechanical problems
Any truth to that?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 04:38:19 PM »
I've read a lot from other users of the 4200 Elites and have never read of any complaints on them. Have never had a problem with mine, either.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Zachary

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 03:29:44 AM »
Mechanical problems on an Elite 4200?  I too have never heard of any kinds of problems.  In fact, all I hear about the 4200s is praises.  I recommend the 4200s more than any other scope, and people come back and thank me for it - over and over again.

I personally have quite a few 4200s and they have all been perfect - I mean perfect - super reliable and dependable.  Frankly, they perform so well, they should cost much more than they do. :grin:

Zachary

Offline Squeeze

• Avid Poster
Scopes
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 03:42:08 AM »
FarmerboyMT,

You may want to take a look at Bushnell 4200s, and Nikon Monarchs.  I have a 6-24
Bushnell 4200, on my .22-250, I run some pretty hot stuff down this gun, and
I have never had this scope loose zero, or fail to track.  They are clear and bright.
About the only kick against this scope, is the eye relief gets tricky when it is dialed
up to 24x.  I have a Elite 3200 2x7, on my .308 Win BAR, and I really like this scope
for under 200 yard shooting in brush country, and I have never had a problem with
this scope, either.

I just recently purchased a Nikon Monarch 5.5-16.5, and although I have not put it
through too much use yet, it is comng out of the blocks, impressing me.  I have it on a
.25-06 Rem. chambered Tikka,that also shoots some pretty warm stuff, and it has held
zero, and tracked well for the little long range testing I have done.

I have a Burris Handgun scope, that I like a lot, but I have not been impressed with
the rest of the Burris lineup.  I have been hearing that many like their Fullfield II
Bplex scopes, so I may look at them, when I am scope shopping again, but something
tells me the next scope will be a Nikon, or a Bushnell.

Squeeze
Walk softly, and carry a 1911