Author Topic: Dilemma  (Read 549 times)

Offline kevtn

• Trade Count: (0)
Dilemma
« on: December 17, 2004, 01:01:44 AM »
I need imput from you folks, I trying to decide between a 20ga Tracker or a 20 ga Ultra. What are the advantages/disadvantages of both. I am assuming all things being equal they both have the same range. Help me out if you can.
Thanks

Offline 3s3k

Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 04:05:00 AM »
Kevtn;

I have the USH 20ga and I can highly recommend it rifle like qualities to
150yds with sabots,that being said its scope only.THe tracker I believe is
open sights only so down the road if you need a scope you will have to find a smitthy to drill and tap for scope rail you will need to buy from NEF
also being lighter may kick somewhat more,specs are at WWW.hr1871.com.
GL

Offline Chainsaw

• Avid Poster
Dilemma
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 05:29:15 AM »
Accuracy with the Ultra or Tracker has been equally good from my past experiences. I had an Ultra and sold it because I thought it was too heavy to shoot freehand from and elevated stand but that is me and not what others may like.

I then switched to the Tracker in 20 ga. and have never looked back. I have mine drilled and tapped and use a low power variable scope and have never felt handicapped with this set-up. Works well for me..........Chainsaw

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Dilemma
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 07:23:24 AM »
Equally accurate...

20GA Tracker II is about 3 lbs lighter with rifle sites.  It can be D&T'd for a scope by a competent smith.  Better for the stalker but is also great for stand usage.  

20GA Ultra Slugger is 3 lbs heavier without rifle sites.  Scope mount only.  A solid platform for the stand sitter.  Not so much for a stalker who doen't want to carry around a 11 lb boat anchor(gun w/scope).

I have a 12GA Ultra Slugger that I use to stalk and stand hunt.  I don't mind the heft as I find that it is a terrifically solid shooting platform for my style of shooting.  It all comes down to personal preference.

You could always buy the 20GA Ultra Slugger now and have a 20GA Tracker II barrel added later if you want or you can do just the opposite.  Both shotguns use the same receiver.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Dilemma
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 01:28:22 PM »
Agood way to compare stats side by side is on Walmarts web site. At least walmart's good for something.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline jschance

• Avid Poster
Dilemma
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 01:30:42 AM »
I went with the Tracker II instead of the Ultra Slug for two reasons, weight and cost.

I do all my own gunsmiting, so there was no cost associated with the drill and tap for the scope mounting, so for a grand total expenditure of $136, I had a scoped slug gun ready to go (I already had the scope).

Shoots as good as I can expect a slug gun to shoot (<2" groups at 100 yards).

Offline hunter01

Re: Dilemma
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 04:18:13 PM »
Quote from: kevtn
I need imput from you folks, I trying to decide between a 20ga Tracker or a 20 ga Ultra. What are the advantages/disadvantages of both. I am assuming all things being equal they both have the same range. Help me out if you can.
Thanks
The Ultra is the way to go like they said. You'll fall in love with this gun.  You do not have to go overboard on a scope either.  A 100 dollar Busnell will get you inside 2 inches at 100 yards with a good gun vice.  Test different bullets...You'll find out right away which bullets your gun prefers.  Good Luck!

Brian
E-mail Ublyhunter@comcast.net