Author Topic: is new Barska scope 3x12x40 IR worth $69?????  (Read 911 times)

Offline mrlizzzard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
is new Barska scope 3x12x40 IR worth $69?????
« on: January 06, 2005, 10:35:49 AM »
Saw it today at sports place,need one for coyotes and wood chucks on Handi Rifle .223 is it a deal?Does anyone have an Opinion on Barska Optics?Retail was $139 MUst know by tommorrow it's on hold till I check with the experts.

thx for quick reply,
lizzzard

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
is new Barska scope 3x12x40 IR worth $69???
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 11:29:29 AM »
From what I've read of Barska at RFC, they are pretty much junk scopes, one member has ordered one and had it replaced 5 times and he still hasn't got one that works properly or has decent glass, their customer service is great, just a crappy product. Sounds worse than BSA and they don't have a great track record, either.

If that's all you can afford, I'd be looking at one of the low end Bushnell scopes from SWFA.

http://www.riflescopes.com/departments/183/rifle_scopes/bushnell/bushnell_banner_dusk_dawn.htm

If you want a good IR scope, check out the Mueller Sport Dots, they're gonna cost more but they are excellent scopes. Best price on the net is at The Optic Zone, give Jon a call for his best price.

The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
1-877-564-0286
info@theopticzone.com
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.muelleroptics.com
IR vs IGR
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 02:08:09 AM »
I would also like to clarify the difference between and IR and IGR.

The term IR stands for "illuminated reticle" or (illuminated wire reticle). This is where the entire wire reticle is lit up. In most cases this type of illumination causes excessive tube glow because it requires a brighter led to illuminated the entire wire reticle which can and will over power your view, especially on a higher power brightness setting.

The term IGR which is used in the Mueller scopes stands for "illuminated glass reticle" or (illuminated glass etched reticle). This is where a completely different style reticle is used. The reticle is actually adhered to a lens and which ever portion of the reticle the manufacture wants illuminated is etched into the glass. The style of illumination causes virtually no tube glow even on the highest brightness setting. This style reticle will also with-stand more recoil, you would actually have to shatter the lens in order to blow this style reticle out..

Mueller Optics

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
is new Barska scope 3x12x40 IR worth $69???
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 09:46:41 AM »
Oops :oops:, Sorry Rich, I knew that and forgot! Sorry for the misnomer....

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain