Author Topic: Handgun safe question...  (Read 679 times)

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Handgun safe question...
« on: February 02, 2005, 04:33:38 PM »
I am in the market for a handgun safe to mount in my closet.  As of right now, my handguns and long guns are stored upstairs in my computer room in the locked gun cabinet.  Great for storage but not too handy should I need to access one in an emergency.  I do have my 16GA pump shotgun in my closet now in case of emergencies but with the little one 7 months old now I want a pistol safe or at least a lock box that cannot be pried open.  I would like to send the pump gun back to the upstairs safe and keep my S&W 6904 9mm in the closet.

So, what do you guys use to lock up your handguns when they are stored in the closet? I have been doing some research and found out that there are several types that I have to choose from.  I like the wall-safe type that flush mount right in the wall but there is not a ton of room because they can only be so deep and they are wedged in between the studs.  I also like the pistol safe that open with a key but do I want to fumble with a key when something goes bump in the night?  A combination lock is neat but again do I want to be turning the combo lock three turns this way and two turns that way?  I guess the only logical choice for me is the simply 4 or more button keypad safes that I saw out there.  Some of them only require a 4 digit code up to 9 or more digits...I would like one that I can mount up on a wall and not the floor if possible...

So, can anyone help me out here...I want a decent safe and hope one of you guys have a lead on something to my liking...Let me know...Please.

Thanks
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline sawfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Handgun safe question...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 09:02:33 AM »
8) Easy accessibility and a security from theft are just about mutually exclusive.  I suggest you look into a good fire resistant gun safe which can hold all of your guns.  It seems that you cannot get one too big, as they tend to fill up fast for some reason.  You may be able to deduct the cost of a fire resistant safe as  "business records storage".  I have two National Security Safes which are excellent.  I think their East Coast counterpart is Liberty Safes.

Of course, proximity is a consideration because of freight costs.  As to the protection HG, this will necessitate a smaller safe, or lock box.  Even one of the soft safes should be childproof.  Check into your local laws, as some states impose liability on the gun owner for accidental shootings, or crimes committed with your stolen guns, if you have not taken adequate means to secure them (i.e. a safe).  

If you have a secure fire resistant safe, you can save a considerable sum on gun insurance. That way you will avoid having to schedule the gun models/serial nos., as required by some companies.  FYI, the D & G combination locks (which seem to be the standard for mechanical locks on gun safes) offer a "day lock" feature wherein you can lock the safe with one turn of a key for temporary use.  Most of the manufacturers display their wares at gun shows and Sportsmans Expositions, and you can compare features/prices.  

You don't need fancy paint for the garage, and a plain jane safe will offer the same security features, and save you some bucks in the process.  Make the seller give you a Golden Rod dehumidifier as part of the deal.  These are not expensive, and are an absolute must.  Good Luck.
No such thing as too dead.

Offline Questor

Handgun safe question...
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 09:43:55 AM »
I like the ones with just three or four positional combination buttons, and have a means of cabling or otherwise anchoring it. However, I don't own one.
Safety first

Offline Savage

Handgun safe question...
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 01:06:25 PM »
Well---------I have a gun safe to keep my guns out of the wrong hands, but the one that I keep for personal defense is always on my person when it is not in the safe. Unless you have secure storage in every room that is instantly accessible, it's not going to do you much good in an emergency. If and when you need a gun, there will be little time to get to it and manipulate the locking device. The most secure place to keep your defensive weapon is on your person!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
Handgun safe question...
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 03:00:47 AM »
I found the following safe at Wal-Mart...Electronic access codes and fire proof for an hour.  Plus we can store jewelry, important papers and other goodies in it...There is more than enough room for all of these items and a few autos to boot...
www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3207149

Offline sawfish

• Avid Poster
Handgun safe question...
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 06:57:17 AM »
8) Wow.  Your long guns must be pretty short.  :-D   Looks very portable.  This way  the thief can steal the whole safe, not just the gun. :lol:  Seriously, those are good little safes, but IMHO you need some way to anchor it down.   :D
No such thing as too dead.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
Handgun safe question...
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 07:09:35 AM »
Yup...That safe weighs 99 lbs and can be anchored to the floor...