Author Topic: You Handi-holics sure are an active lot.  (Read 2299 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
You Handi-holics sure are an active lot.
« on: January 01, 2005, 03:36:26 AM »
Have any of you noticed that when Matt did the update of the forum software Thursday night he added a new feature to the Forums Index Page? It's a counter to tell how many times a forum has been visited.

As I write this at 8:30 AM CST you guys are blowing all the other forums away. You're closing in rapidly on 1500 times this forum has been visited. The next most visited is the Classifieds with almost 900 visits. The TC Classifieds and TC Handgun Forums fall in line next.

Over all as a group the TC guys with three forums are the busiest group on the site but the NEF/H&R guys are right on their heels for total activity and no one can match you for visits to a single forum. You're also posting at the fastest rate of any group on the site and I'm predicting that within a couple months outside you'll pass the TC Handgun Forum for most total posts and they've been here since day one which in the case of this software was early December of 2002 as I recall.

Just a bit of trivia I thought you might find interesting.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2005, 04:12:32 AM »
It's an obsession that's cheaper to feed and making a silk purse out of a sows ear is a never ending challenge.Thanks for hosting us.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2005, 04:27:03 AM »
Watch out Greybeard, handiholicitus may be creeping up on you.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2005, 04:36:59 AM »
LOL Graybeard, we are a crazy bunch, crazy about these H&R/NEF guns.
Thanks for giving us a place to call home.

Offline jeff223

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2005, 04:52:05 AM »
:toast: heres to the handi rifle lovers

but i also visit the TC forums too :shock: what are these handi lovers going to think about that? :-D  :-D  :-D

Offline Rogmatt

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2005, 04:52:19 AM »
Greybeard,  I remember when the old H&R site closed down, many of us did not know where to go to find each other again. Thank you very much for providing this venue for us to interact. Your entire site has a wealth of knowledge and resources.

Offline TrapperZach

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2005, 04:59:25 AM »
i now im a new comerbut im allready addicted. :D

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2005, 05:02:47 AM »
Happy to have you guys. We had a bump or two in the road early on but things have gone pretty smoothly. I sure never realized how active you fellars were back then. As I recall there were perhaps 3000-4000 of you registered at your old site and maybe 15,000 or so Marlin guys. Everyone in those early days of the upheaval seemed to want to stick together as a group.

You guys seem to have pretty much done so. The Marlin guys are scattered to the four winds. If any one site got the bulk of them I sure haven't detected it. We have a fair number here but not by any means the majority of them.

Membership here took a big jump of about 2500 or so in the 45 days or so after Marlin shut down their forums. I assume you NEF/H&R guys are the bulk of that.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2005, 05:02:55 AM »
I,m with Trapperzac, Thanks a bunch Graybeard.
I'ts a new year need a new handi Maybe a BC :lol:
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2005, 06:35:39 AM »
Thanks GreyBeard.....we all appreciate what you've done for us...and..sooner or later...the rest of the gang will show up...and that includes those wayward Marlin owners......we'll see what the New Year brings...... the word is spreading about our great site here...and us Handiholics do tend to stick together.... start shooting that 30-30 a-little more and you'll see.... :wink:

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2005, 07:09:47 AM »
Yep we're busy little bees ain't we? Love these little guns, good or bad, we still love the challenge. No doubt we will surpass all others and become the number 1 group posting here eventually. Thanks Bill for making a new home for us when we were all so lost and distraught over the demise of the old forum at H&R1871.
But ya better be careful GB, Handi-itis is highly contagious.  :) You might find yourself one day pulling that new 4-wheeler around with a Handi in a rifle sling on either side and three more in that new Tundra, heading out to the range just to blow some holes in some paper and not even thinking about that closet full of Remingtons back home.  :-D  :lol:   :)
Thanks again and..............HANDI-HOLICS FOREVER!!!
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2005, 12:48:20 PM »
I took note of the activity on the NEF Centerfire site earlier last year in one of my starter threads. I think the folks that purchase the NEF firearms are probably very practical by nature and appreciate folks that tread the same water.
 When the Old H&R site closed down, it was rather disconcerting. I've met and developed good friendships because of NEF rifles and these forums. Who'd of thunk it!
 I've also learned a great deal about how to make the Handi's shoot right up there with the high dollars firearms, and in some cases, better.
no x now!

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2005, 01:42:17 PM »
All I know is it keeps me off the streets. 8)
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline Duce

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2005, 02:06:53 PM »
Bill: Thanks for the encouragement, many people were really bummed out when H&R pulled the plug. Then we/they started to land over here and you really went out of your way to make us at home.  You allowed us to have a place of our own, we found the pleasure of having a site that has a set of guidelines that is inforced fairly for all. Yaaa the roads been rocky, but what a better bunch to travel it with. Thanks:  :-D <>< Duce:
What ever you'll put up with, is exactly what you'll get!!!!!

Offline 6Shooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2005, 02:23:42 PM »
I would like to say hello. I have been reading the forums for awhile now and have decided to sign up and thought this topic would be a good place to start as I have one of the famed Handi-rifles and really love it. It's my most carried rifle. I have the .223 with a 4X12X40 bushnell.
 I'm glad I found this site because it has about all of my interests covered from handguns to the very handi, Handi-rifle.
 I hope to learn from the good people here and hope that I can pass on the little knowledge I may have.  :grin:

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2005, 02:36:13 PM »
Welcome 6shooter :D

Glad you found us...

Mac

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
Thanks G. B.
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2005, 02:48:40 PM »
Agreat big thanks to Grey Bread, Mrs G.B. and Matt and all others
 that have a hand in making this site work so good. This site keeps
 me out of bad places that I might go to :-D  :-D
 I visit here early of morning and late at night.
 Marv.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2005, 03:05:03 PM »
:D , Welcome aboard 6shooter. Happy to hear you like your 1shooter!!!....<><.... :grin:  

Thanks again GB, Mrs. GB, and Matt. A very happy and safe New Year to all!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Joel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2005, 04:22:37 PM »
Cheap guns...yeah.  Let's see, I paid $174 for my 45/70 around 13 years ago 'cause I worked at the local feed/grain/sportin' goods back then.  Then there was $140 something or other for the Burris that was on sale(plus I Worked for the guy).  Lately there was $140(there abouts) for that new fiddleback maple stock from Ed.  THEN there was $85.00 for the metal spacer/triggerguard/hammer extension.......lets' see, That's around $419 and some odd cents(or no sense, or nonsense or......whatever) for that cheap ol'rifle.  'Course there's also 25 deer(and one really unfortunate squirrel), and one Skunk that ate it's way into the dog kennel at 3 AM;  Don't want to talk about that one.  Day after day in the woods...God knows how much adrenaline down the old veins, all that exercise draggin'.  You get what you pay for, I reckon.  Uh, does this forum have a first class section?

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2005, 04:29:17 PM »
Thanks GB, Mrs. GB and Matt for giving us orphans a home  :grin: , after the Old H&R forum shut down.
And what gets me is the Marlin owners, here a while back, at least a few wanted to go start another site. I remember Greybeard saying they could go but doubt they could get another site going. If I remember correctly.
Some of them just are not happy anywhere.
I myself, am very thankful to have this HOME.
Thanks again.  :D

Dennis

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2005, 04:35:53 PM »
You get what you pay for, I reckon. Uh, does this forum have a first class section?

Yah  Baby...your in it...... and it don't  get any better than here :wink:

Mac

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2005, 08:06:22 PM »
Thanks, Bill. When the HR/NEF site closed down, I was at a loss. I didn't know of your site at that time. :oops:  Scruffy left some bread crumbs and I found my way here. Ever since then, your site is at the top to visit at least 2 times a day. Thanks to your site, I have become a handi holic. :lol:  Hopefully, in the next few days, hellacatcher can help me with my 22 hornet that I'm going to purchase and site in at the range in nashville. Have a very happy new year! :mrgreen:  :toast:  :music:
                                                                        tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2005, 10:01:56 PM »
First of all, thanks for taking us in when we were lost and confused.  

Second, I bought my first Handi as a spare gun for Moose camp.  I soon discovered that it shot better than the bolt guns I had been carrying for years.  I started out with a Tasco, scope on my first gun which was a 30-06.  A few months later the Tasco could not take the beating of riding on the handlebars and gave it up.  I then went to a Bushnell, it would not handle the ranges I shoot at.  I now have a $700.00 Shepard 6X18 scope on a $167.00 gun, a winning combination.  I enjoy shooting this gun so much I love to tell everyone about it.  I also have developed a great report with the great people here at this forum.  They are an exceptional group, my kind of people.  While I don't always agree with what they say, I respect their right to say what they feel, because they respect my right to give my opinion.  And I often do.  Rog
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2005, 02:36:13 PM »
Only in America. I'm home here. Thanks MR and Mrs Greybeard and the ever busy Matt. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline fish280

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2005, 01:59:08 AM »
yeah, what they say. :lol:
His,
><>

Offline mrlizzzard

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2005, 02:19:50 PM »
Looks like I have a new hobby,sold my Ruger and bought not one but two Handi's today.This forum has kept my attention for 2 weeks I had to have a handi!Now I have 2,gonna learn'em shoot'em at targets and coyotes and chuck's.I wanna paint flames on one and have the other one inlaid with gold.I'm gonna have a ballThis little gun has given me zest to have some fun,and this forum is filled with some of the nicest people I could meet anywhere.
Hats off!
lizzzard

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2005, 04:21:46 PM »
MrLizzard:

Welcome to the world of Handi-holics...your on your way to a full blown case of Handi-itis...it uncureable ya know... :D  :D  Which ones you get to start off with...

Mac

Offline deerman12

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2005, 06:34:04 AM »
I would like to chime in and thank you also, Gray Beard.  The information a person can get from your forums is endless(not to mention the opinions, Ha!Ha!).  I usually get on this forum everyday at work.  I usually have plenty of free time(people don't stand in line to buy vehicles all of the time).  Thanks for taking up where Marlin left off and making the forums a hell of a lot better than Marlin every did.  Strictly Grade A!

Offline AZ223

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2005, 09:45:11 AM »
I have to admit, I was as disappointed as anyone when the old H&R site closed down; didn't realize the sense of comraderie that develops among people with a common interest.

Thank-you, GB, for making room for us here!   :D
Life was so much simpler when I thought I knew everything...

Offline DanielWGriggs

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2005, 10:13:22 AM »
Do I qualify as a handihaulic? My first handi was/is a .58cal huntsman bought in 1976 love that gun and the way it drops deer with 70gr of 2f and a 270gr round ball.

after some time in the army in various furrin lands got out and bought a .223 ultra it shoots better than I do and has dropped a yote at 223 yds.

Then I traded a rugermini 14 for a "Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation" .308 ultra in a youth model. It shoots 3" high at 100 and a little low at 300 and was the best trade I made. Yea I know the ruger was worth more so I got the owner to throw in some eley 22 ammo and 2 sets of scope rings. He was pleased when he made the deal but that rifle still sits in his shop today. couldn't keep em on a pie plate bench rested with a 9x scope.

Now What I would like to buy next is a combo .22/410 for the back pack.
then a 7mm08, 280rem,44mag,243 just to name a few.

Thanks Greybeard and Matt also thanks to the sponsers. I will be looking for optics later this year guess who I am going to. I work for wal-mart unloading trucks and  it won't be them. :lol: