Author Topic: Prices charged for a Whitetail Shoulder Mount?  (Read 1127 times)

Offline leoparddog

• Trade Count: (0)
Prices charged for a Whitetail Shoulder Mount?
« on: November 29, 2004, 10:08:46 AM »
I shot a nice 7 pointer a few weeks back and got it in my head that since I didn't have a shoulder mount of a buck, I'd get this one done.  I've European mounted the others.  

Well, I pick up my antlers and cape and start asking the guys in camp (Talbot County GA) about who to take it to and what does it cost and they all start telling me "About $450".  I got this from 3 different guys relating to 3 different taxidermists.  

$450 is out of my price range for a 7 pointer, so he got the European treatment.  

What does your Taxidermist charge for a good shoulder mount?  

BTW: I live near Atlanta GA, so if you know of a good local one, let me know please.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: Prices charged for a Whitetail Shoulder Mount?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 12:01:00 PM »
Quote from: leoparddog
I shot a nice 7 pointer a few weeks back and got it in my head that since I didn't have a shoulder mount of a buck, I'd get this one done.  I've European mounted the others.  

Well, I pick up my antlers and cape and start asking the guys in camp (Talbot County GA) about who to take it to and what does it cost and they all start telling me "About $450".  I got this from 3 different guys relating to 3 different taxidermists.  

$450 is out of my price range for a 7 pointer, so he got the European treatment.  

What does your Taxidermist charge for a good shoulder mount?  

BTW: I live near Atlanta GA, so if you know of a good local one, let me know please.

I have seen from $350 to $400 in my area. But I go to who does the best work, and it happens to be my friend and hunting buddy. Just remember one thing, you get what you pay for, there are some that will do it for less, but your trophy look like carp. No thank you, I want to enjoy my mounts. JMHO  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
Prices charged for a Whitetail Shoulder Mou
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 01:06:56 PM »
Good mounts in this area go for $450 to $600 depending on who you choose, and the price does not always relate to quality. Check out the mounts the taxidermist has on his wall before you decide. Just so happens the best around here goes for right at $500, but he is a cut above most of the others in that price range. A lot has to do with artistry, how realistic the mount looks and how much "personality" it has that makes it unique.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 02:11:45 PM »
Quote from: huntsman
Good mounts in this area go for $450 to $600 depending on who you choose, and the price does not always relate to quality. Check out the mounts the taxidermist has on his wall before you decide. Just so happens the best around here goes for right at $500, but he is a cut above most of the others in that price range. A lot has to do with artistry, how realistic the mount looks and how much "personality" it has that makes it unique.

You are right about the price, and it is always good to get with other hunters that have got mounts and see who the recommend. My buddy that does Taxidermy is the President of the Taxidermy Association and has been doing it for over 35 years. He is a great Taxidermist. :D  Which is good for me.  :-D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline trophyhunter

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 02:48:17 PM »
Around my house the prices range from 200 to 400 but like huntsman said you get what you pay for im getting my ten pointer mounted and it is costing 400 for a shoulder mount i thought that that was high but started comparing there work and am gladdly paying it.

Offline jackfish

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 05:51:09 AM »
I am paying $395 plus tax for this guy.  Should get him back in a few months.
You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 03:06:22 PM »
the one I got last year was right at $300 with out a plaque. It took almost a full year to get it back.
If the $450 or so is out of your price range talk with the taxidermist most will let you make payments with a little down payment.

Offline HogFan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 03:49:21 AM »
Around here in MT, they range from $375 to $425. My co-worker shot a nice muley last Nov. and it's now Dec. and it's still not done. I just retruned from hunting in AR, where I shot a nice 8 point, and it is $325 to mount. I know the kind of work the place does, and it's excellent. They were also $25 cheaper than other places, of which I do not know of there work.

HogFan

Offline smoky

• Contributor
    • http://www.cattletoday.com/sscc
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 10:27:13 AM »
My local guy is $425 plus $20 for a plaque upgrade to oak, which I prefer.  So after the upgrade and local tax, my total cost is $458.

Remember that the mount is for a lifetime, so I don't consider it to be that much spread out over many years.  Also, with taxidermy you tend to get what you pay for.  Even sometimes costly mounts are terrible, so you must always evaluate thoroughly before choosing.

Smoky
Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Offline ufgators68

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 11:31:25 AM »
The fella I take mine to charges me $190.00, does dang good work. Of course, it usually costs me more cuz he does them pretty quick...I tip too well...lol.
Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but it takes only 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack them  upside the head.

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2005, 11:37:44 AM »
Nice deer Jack. I only got the head mounted on my eight point and between the mount w/out a plaque and the cape tanned for about $270. And the mount came out like anything BUT crap (carp according to RedHawk  :-D ). It actually looks better than it did in real life. So, it depends on who you go to. I'm sure mine would have been $400 if I had the headboard put on, but almost $300 ain't exactly cheap either.
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 04:20:53 AM »
:D I called a taxidermist that has done several mounts for me this fall after I shot a large 10 point. He said it was $400. I still have a mount he did almost 20 years ago and it looks good yet. I caped the deer out myself. I don't have $400 to spend on a mount right now. I expect prices vary from place to place with the cost of living and price of materials. It seems less expensive to have stuff mounted in the Dakotas and Wyoming than here in WI.  :D

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2005, 07:13:29 AM »
Quote from: ufgators68
The fella I take mine to charges me $190.00, does dang good work. Of course, it usually costs me more cuz he does them pretty quick...I tip too well...lol.

Man that is cheap, it cost almost $100 just for materials to do a deer mount. The reason most people have to wait a year or a little longer is the taxidermist has a lot of mounts to do, because of the type of work he puts out. I have noticed the guys that put the mounts quick don't have a lot of work or there work is not the guilty I expect. I would rather wait and know my mount will be around a long while and look good. :-)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline LarryL

• Avid Poster
  • 2004 - 480 SRH
sounds about right
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2005, 07:49:01 AM »
I got an 11 pointer this year in NH that I am having mounted.  I called numerous places and got prices from $400 to 500 with a plaque, and 6 months to a year to wait.  A shoulder vs. a head/neck mount was only $25 difference.  Repairing holes adds cost.  Adding a small engraved plate also adds cost.  

I went with the place that other hunters I know recommended for doing great work, which was also on the lower end for cost.  They only required a $100 deposit to begin the work, with the balance due on delivery in 9 months.
Success is a journey, not a destination...  Might as well enjoy the ride!! 

Just remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.  You can rely on 911 or on 1911. The choice is yours.

Larry

Offline ufgators68

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2005, 09:36:19 AM »
From the work I've seen of his, he's dang good. But it's not his primary job, he just does a dozen or so every year to keep in practice and make a little extra change. I've been told by a bunch of different folks to take my deer to him and several of these folks are deer mounting freaks.
Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but it takes only 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack them  upside the head.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2005, 04:24:22 PM »
We took one in a couple of weeks ago, $600. for the mount, 50% down and a 4-5 month wait.  This guy is super good, I would put his work up with anyone. Not only is his work good, he is an artist in producing a mount.  One guy had a big 14 point that had been neck shot, when the guy that shot it tried to cape it out he destroyed all the skin down around the shoulder.  The deer was mounted on a double mount with a doe mounted next to the buck and hiding the arear of the neck that was ruined.  It was a masterpiece, looked so natural and no one will ever know the rack was almost cut off and tacked up on the barn.