Author Topic: 2004 Season come to an end  (Read 686 times)

Offline riddleofsteel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
2004 Season come to an end
« on: January 02, 2005, 11:08:35 AM »
Well the 2004 deer season here in NC has come to an end,
 :(
This year was kind to my family.
I took a doe on the opening day of muzzleloader season.
My son killed a cow horn buck the next day with a muzzleloader (his first).
I killed a cow horn buck the next day with a muzzleloader.
The third day of rifle season I killed a nice six point buck.
My son killed a doe the next weekend (his first with a rifle).
The final day of the season (yesterday) I killed an eight point buck with a 25-06 Handi-rifle.

Many fine memories made this year. My son's first deer season. Teaching him to read deer sign, choose a stand site, track a blood trail, skinning and butchering meat, ect. Many quiet days spent together on the stand watching wildlfe, dragging deer over mountainous country, enjoying each other's company.

Tonight, as I am typing, the smell of venison chili from the crock pot is filling the room. A fresh plate of corn bread is waiting as well. The freezer and the photo album are full, life in Dixie is sweet.
Forgive me for waxing nostalgic but in the moment I am overwhelmed.

:D
...for him there was always the discipline of steel.

They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night.
Song of Solomon 3:8

Offline iiibbb

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 11:16:07 AM »
It was my first season and I had a great time, great location, and great luck.  Got a 4-point buck, 20 minutes into my first day.  

Pretty awesome experience.  I got into it enough that I picked up a muzzle loader to extend my season.  Got a doe with that one.

My freezer is full.... and I'm already looking forward to next season.

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 12:27:21 PM »
Over in SC yesterday, too. Got two this year, one opening day and a nice 7 point a couple of weeks later. What is even better I got my son-in-law interested. 30 yrs. old and never hunted anything before. He only got to go four times and didn't get a shot, but learned a lot and now he can't wait until next year. He went yesterday with some friends of mine since I had to stay home with a sick wife. He is now hooked and it is great to another young fellow take to the woods. Looking forward to more years together. :grin:  :grin:
Romans 8:38,39

Offline Broken-arrow

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 04:58:32 AM »
:( Yep, another deer season has come and gone. Been a pretty good one tho. Together , my son and I harvested 7 with gun and bow. Including his first buck. ( He also caught a 12 1/2 lb channel-cat this fall ) I've been deer-hunting for 20+ years and I think I've enjoyed this season more than any other simply because I got to spend so much time in the woods with my son. :-)  Guess it's time to oil up and put away the guns and catch up on some honey-doos :? I don't know, I hear the sandys are starting to bite :idea:

[/img]
Please write me off of GB outdoors, I do not want to be a part of it any more.

Deactivated as requested.

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 10:00:30 AM »
I had two tags, filled one, and have until the 15th to fill the second one. Can't be greedy, but it would be nice to have a second deer in the freezer.  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 10:02:25 AM »
Oh and congrats broken-arrow and riddleofsteel on your luck as well as your kids' luck!
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 06:17:07 AM »
That is the good thing about hunting deer in Bama.  Man, we still huntin until Jan 31st  :D
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline Braz475

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 06:01:44 PM »
Man you guys are soooo lucky...are deer seasons, general and late buck combined are only about 3 weeks up here in Washington and we only get one BUCK tag and you have to go in a drawing to get a doe tag...this is modern firearm.  I was lucky this year and took a 2x2 with eyeguards from 300 yards offhand, deer was running.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 01:01:09 AM »
We have until January 31 in Maryland and Delaware. This has been an exceptional year for me and my son also. I have to date 10 deer and my son got his first and second deer this year on the same day. I have donated a lot of deer to friends and to hunters for the hungry. I have a freezer full of meat and plenty of jerky to last me all year. I got a nice 10 point a 7 point with my bow and a 6 point, the rest were doe's. I kept the doe's for myself, to me they taste better.  :D We have a late season shotgun season left in Maryland and then some bow. And in Delaware we have a shotgun and a muzzleloader and the rest of the season with bow left.  :-)
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline JKump

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 11:10:33 AM »
The season here in Georgia ended yesterday (Jan. 9; southern zone).  Can't complain 1 Five pointer and 4 Does.  Can't complain at all.
Everyone has a game plan, until they get punched in the mouth.

Live everyday as if it is your last!  Because someday you will be right.