Author Topic: Deer Day/Night??  (Read 578 times)

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
Deer Day/Night??
« on: January 09, 2005, 04:25:00 PM »
Ok guys,I've a problem.I have a food plot about 30' x 140' between pines and hardwoods.There are signs all over the plot.Droppings and tracks all over it.There are two well worn trails leading into plot;one at each end.The ground looks like cattle have went thru it.The ground is torn up with tracks.I have hunted this a dozen or more times this deer season and have never seen anything.Have tried early morning,late afternoon,and all day from dawn to dust.Nothing!!So the problem is the deer have to be coming in at night.Now the "stupid" question.How do I move the deer from night to day?....................Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline JPSaxMan

• Trade Count: (0)
Deer Day/Night??
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 05:04:57 PM »
I got bad news...dunno if ya can  :cry: . Deer are as set in there ways as the old people in town. Mebe as Daylight Savings Time comes in you can see if they come in during daylight and scout them as much as you can till next year (our archery season in PA opens sometime in early October so you still have some light out later in the day and earlier in the morning, so that might help to). But that's all the help I can give ya. Good luck.  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline GBO MGMT

• Administrator
  • Avid Poster
Deer Day/Night??
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 05:11:53 PM »
Wal Rick I don't think you're gonna. But all is not necessarily lost. Gimme a call at 256-435-1125 when you get a chance maybe tomorrow or the next day. Not tonight as my dang satellite ain't working so I'm on the phone line. I first got kicked off as Graybeard, then went on as Greybeard and got kicked off so now am on as GBO MGMT so I can see what posts are new since last here.

I have some ideas to share with you about how to get them even tho they aren't coming into the plot until dark.

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
Deer Day/Night??
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 03:35:15 AM »
Try throwing a couple pair of dirty/stinky socks out there just at night. Just make sure you pick them up during the day maybe this will get them leary of being out there after dark.
Or use some skunk pee as a danger scent or maybe predator urine.
CAUTION I am NOT speaking from experince just my thoughts.

Offline JPSaxMan

Deer Day/Night??
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 10:12:02 AM »
Quote from: marylandeer
Or use some skunk pee as a danger scent or maybe predator urine.

That might drive them away all together, no?
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline flintlock

Deer Day/Night??
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 05:23:36 AM »
Can you move closer to the bedding area??? Or is that off the land that you hunt??? Sometimes a couple of hundred yards can make a big difference...

Are you sure the deer haven't "patterned" you?? Are you sure you are approaching your stand downwind...and using good scent control???
They may have you pegged...Be sure to wear rubber soled boots, to leave no ground scent....

You might try hanging one of those drippers...that drips only during the day...this might help pull the bucks in...

I know its late for this year...but you might try planting something else...the deer might be feeding somewhere else...your plot might not have their "preferred" food during this time of year...Good Luck...flintlock

Offline flintlock

Deer Day/Night??
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 05:25:15 AM »
Can you move closer to the bedding area??? Or is that off the land that you hunt??? Sometimes a couple of hundred yards can make a big difference...

Are you sure the deer haven't "patterned" you?? Are you sure you are approaching your stand downwind...and using good scent control???
They may have you pegged...Be sure to wear rubber soled boots, to leave no ground scent....

You might try hanging one of those drippers...that drips only during the day...this might help pull the bucks in...

I know its late for this year...but you might try planting something else...the deer might be feeding somewhere else...your plot might not have their "preferred" food during this time of year...Good Luck...flintlock