Author Topic: last grouse for a while.....  (Read 338 times)

Offline ScatterGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
last grouse for a while.....
« on: January 10, 2005, 02:11:16 PM »
after moving up to the new digs at the end of december i was having a ball, hunting birds, some early ice fishing, all the normal guy stuff. i was giving the 410 a real work out every day. those 410's never miss, must be something special in the ammo !!

so last thursday i get a phone from my guys out in california and they say i need to get out there ASAP, as in tomorrow. the day before, the heating contractor works on the heat and hot water (then goes on vacation) and life was supposed to be good. but the next morning, no hot water, so no showers and the results; a rather unhappy wife.

friday morning, i call a friend of mine who is a realtor and i tell him i need a furnished house that will allow pets, as in 5 dogs with at least 3 bedrooms, today.

he finds this place in pennellville, ny that is owned by this really slick guy who is a retired marine (drive instructor/tank commander/kick-butt take-no-prisoners kinda guy) we checkout the place, write checks, sign a lease and here we are for 3 - 6 months while the camp is being finished.

while we are checking the place out, i spy a large shell casing, about 3 foot high and 6" at the bottom and 4 plus or minus inches at the top in one corner of the downstairs livingroom.

here is what he told me about the shell casing;

he was in his tank cruising a few miles north of the border between iraq and kuwait just after the start of desert storm and this russian tank, a T-72 (or so) took a pot shot at him and missed, the shot fell short. his crew loaded up the gun, fired, and ventilated the tank thus dispatching it and its' occupants from their military duties. they drove over to the smoking hulk of rubble and found no survivors, he found the shell next to the dead tank carcass and grabbed it, he also grabbed this thing looked like the bottle from 'i dream of jeanie' with pipe bowl on the side of it.

he brought the shell casing back to the USA as a trophy.

after we talked, i extended my hand in friendship to shake his in thanks for his contribution and sacrifice he made for all of us. before he left, i drove out and picked up a case of his favorite beer, bud light, and gave it to him. i could have done more but the gunnery sargeant made a commitment to his wife to be home before 5:00pm and a marines word is as good as gold.

so i had to delay my plans to move into the new place permanantly for a little bit. but you can never tell what events in life will transpire that alter your course or change your destination. i am glad that my plans changed to have the honor to meet this one gunnery sargeant.

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!