Author Topic: What type holsters?  (Read 703 times)

Offline Elijah Gunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
What type holsters?
« on: January 22, 2005, 05:08:33 PM »
I've been wanting to find a period correct rig for my 1851 navy. What did the average "pilgrim" use when taking his sidearm out west? Did they use military surplus holsters? Also would there have been a pouch of some type on the belt for caps, balls, flask,etc? Or would it have been a possibles bag?  
  It seems to me that they would have been more utilitarian in the way they carried their guns than what the slick gunfighter holsters seem to be.
Thanks in advance, Mark
What will you say on Judgement Day?

The BANKERS win every war.

When gardening for food is outlawed, I'll BE an outlaw.

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
What type holsters?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 08:53:22 PM »
Not sure how authentic, but the "slim jim" type Cabela's sells seems like something an average Joe back then would have had, and there very reasonable price wise too.

I got a pair for my 51' navy conversions, but around home plinking I like the cross draw or just sticking them in my belt better.

I imagine it wasn't uncommon for early gunslingers to shove a navy in there waist ban or in a sash.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Shorty

What type holsters?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 10:21:23 AM »
The "slim Jim" was one of the earliest, dating to the California gold rush.  Many a Civil War vet used a G.I. holster with the flap cut off.  Wild Bill was known to use a sash as well as holsters.  He wasn't into fast draw, as much as deadly accuracy.  Only in later times (1880's +) did the "cowboy" rigs that  are commonly thought of dominate.  Of course, in the Dragoon (horse pistol) era, saddle holsters were still common.  
Lots of old tin-types show pistols tucked into belts, but you know they were posed with gallery property!       :roll:

As far as cartridge boxes, or whatever, I believe that, if one or two revolvers didn't resolve a fight, THAT'S what the Bowie knife was for!  :wink:

Offline Elijah Gunn

• A Real Regular
What type holsters?
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 02:57:47 PM »
I think I'm gonna try the military holster. I like the fact they are crossdraw. To me it seems more natural. Plus I like the idea of a flap keeping it somewhat protected and secured.  
Thanks again,Mark
What will you say on Judgement Day?

The BANKERS win every war.

When gardening for food is outlawed, I'll BE an outlaw.

Offline Potato Frizz

What type holsters?
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 07:03:21 AM »
A crossdraw Slim-Jim would be good. Try to draw a 7 1/2 to 8" barreled revolver from your strong side historically correct high riding holster and you have to do gymnastics to clear the muzzle. It's impossible without bending your torso.

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Avid Poster
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
What type holsters?
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 05:56:06 PM »
Find the book, "Packing Iron" It is full of authentic gun leather. I agree that a slim jim, or a modified military flap holster, would be most authentic. For a cap tin, and bullet pouch, go military surplus circa 1865. Lots of stuff left over after the war ya know. A few of the leather makers around can make ya a holster out of the book if ya ask em. DM