Author Topic: FFL Laws-Questions  (Read 432 times)

Offline RBishop

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
FFL Laws-Questions
« on: January 17, 2005, 03:02:21 AM »
I know that individuals that buy and sell handguns in different states have to have the transfer handled by a FFL holder.  What are the legal requirements for individuals residing in the same state? I am in TN, can I buy a firearm from another individual residing in my state and have the firearm shipped without going thru a FFL holder?  I dont mind using a FFL holder, it only costs me a $20 fee, I just want to know what the law is?

Thanks to all.

Offline PA-Joe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
FFL Laws-Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 03:20:56 AM »
Each state is different. Here in PA we have to call the State Police, identify the buyer, and get a transfer number. Then it is ok to sell to that person. Private sales no charge dealers have to pay I think $5.00 per sale.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
FFL Laws-Questions
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 05:23:33 AM »
I think most States have there own laws. In Delaware you can make a private sale and not have a back round check done. IMO it is a good idea to do it (transfer). It takes the gun out of your name and into there's.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline tony212

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
FFL Laws-Questions
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 12:53:10 PM »
In Massachusetts, which probably has the toughest gun laws in the country, you can do a private sale as long as both people involved have the proper permits to own the firearm and you fill out an FA10 form and mail it in to the Firearms Registration Board. I think that is what it is called now. If I recall I think you are limited to a certain amount of transfers per year also.
Tony212