Author Topic: Miruku .38 Special  (Read 1354 times)

Offline BillH

• Trade Count: (0)
Miruku .38 Special
« on: January 04, 2005, 07:24:40 AM »
I have a chance to purchase a .38 special.  Name on the barrel is Miruku.  Never heard of this name before.  Does anyone know anything about this gun?

Oh, I can get it for $100.00 but know nothing about it.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
BillH

Offline CJ

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Miruku .38 Special
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 08:03:05 AM »
Spelling may be off a letter but I'm am pretty sure they are the japanese makers for Browning rifles and/or shotguns.  Not many complaints on them. Cant say I've heard of them making handguns, but if fit, finish, and function are there I cant see getting hurt for that price.
NRA Lifer

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Miruku .38 Special
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 10:34:48 AM »
To the best of my knowledge it is not even legal in Japan for the commercial gun makers to make handguns. I do not think that Miruko or how ever spelled has ever made one for commercial sale.

Take another look and be sure of the spelling on the gun. What kinda gun is it? A revolver? Country of manufacture should be on it. What does it say? I'm betting it's an old Spanish gun and if so is likely not a good buy.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
Miruku .38 Special
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 10:52:55 AM »
BillH,
The name might be MIROKU and they were/are made in Tokyo, Japan.  They are a double action--Model 6?  And $100 would be absolutely TOP DOLLAR for an EXCELLENT handgun.  Good-luck...BCB

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
Commercial revolvers from Japan
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 11:16:16 AM »
I have seen these revolvers.  Fit and finish seemed quite good.  The design is fairly standard.  Styling is a bit odd to the American eye.  I have only seen them with fairly short barrels.  I'd count $20 of the price just for the oddity of it.

Besides the US commercial market I think they were used at one time or another for law enforcement in Japan.

I have heard that due to the stringent gun control laws in Japan the location of the factory is hidden from the general public.

Offline jhm

Miruku .38 Special
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 03:43:09 AM »
The Miroku Liberty Chief was a copy of a colt snub revolver I had one back in about 1968 or so, was a all steel 6 shot 38 spcl. if in good shape it would be worth the $100, in fact I might even have a original box fore the one I had and I just remembered where the gun is, it was given to my mother in law and she still has it. :-D  :D   JIM

Offline BillH

Miruku .38 Special
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 02:43:41 AM »
Thanks for the responses.

I was off on the spelling (it is Miroku) and I did get some more info on it.  It was made in Japan, 1967 - 1984 for the Japanese Police.

So, think I will pass on it.

Thanks again all
BillH

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
sighting
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 02:06:10 AM »
Ran across one of these gems yesterday at a gun show.  It was claimed to have been made in 1964 for Japanese police use.

Offline BillH

Re: sighting
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 04:52:24 AM »
Quote from: unspellable
Ran across one of these gems yesterday at a gun show.  It was claimed to have been made in 1964 for Japanese police use.

Any idea what they were asking for it?

BillH

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
Price
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 02:32:50 AM »
You would ask hard questions that make my mind go blank. It was either $300 or $400, I'm not sure which, but am leaning towards $300. They were pushing it as a rarity.

It was in pretty good condition.

Offline BillH

Re: Price
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2005, 08:55:50 AM »
Quote from: unspellable
You would ask hard questions that make my mind go blank. It was either $300 or $400, I'm not sure which, but am leaning towards $300. They were pushing it as a rarity.

It was in pretty good condition.

Thank you sir.  will try to keep my questions easy next time  :-)