Author Topic: 12 ga slug drop.  (Read 815 times)

Offline NimrodRx

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
12 ga slug drop.
« on: March 14, 2005, 01:12:46 PM »
What kind of a drop are you guys seeing with your slug guns?

I ran some 2 & 3/4 inch Federal Premiums with the Barnes Expander Sabot  through my A-Bolt 12 ga yesterday.  

The groups were awesome.  3 holes touching at 50 yds and 1.5 inch group at 100 yards.  The thing is though, I had a 4 inch drop.  I was 1 inch high at 50 and 3 inches low at 100.  More than I expected.

Is this typical?  Anybody have a flatter slug that works well for them?

Thanks.
"Make mine a double. Whether I'm ordering drinks or shotguns, it's always served me well!"  :toast:  :toast:

"It's been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well."  T. Roosevelt

Offline clodbuster

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
slugs
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 02:03:01 PM »
NimrodRx  Yeah slugs suck when you consider their aero qualities but they sure do lower the boom on deer.  You actually had a 3" drop below your Zero range which I guess would be at around 75 yards.  Try zeroing at 100 or maybe 90 yards and see what the rise is at 50 and 75 yards.  This would most likely extend your useable range since the bullet drops off fastest at the far end of its flight and does not travel in a smooth symetrical parabolic curve.
Preserve the Loess Hills!!!

Offline NimrodRx

• Contributor
12 ga slug drop.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 08:32:45 PM »
Thanks Clodbuster.  That's exactly what I did.  Turned my horizontal dial up 12 clicks.  That should put me on the bull at 100.  I'm anxious to see how high this puts me at 50.  I'm hoping it didn't raise me much more than another inch above the bull at 50.  I'd be real happy with 2 inches high at 50 and on the bull at 100.

My guess though is that I'm going to be closer to 3 inches high at 50.  We'll see.  Can't wait until Sat....
"Make mine a double. Whether I'm ordering drinks or shotguns, it's always served me well!"  :toast:  :toast:

"It's been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well."  T. Roosevelt

Offline clodbuster

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
slug flight
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 11:43:18 AM »
NimrodRx  I'm guessing the high point in the slug's trajectory would be around 75 yards rather than at 50 since they slowly climb and then drop quickly when the air slows them down.  It's good to know where that high point is by targeting at various distances.  I shoot a Mossberg 835 with fixed 4X scope and it will do 3" group at 100 withvariousbrands.  Have to be careful that 2 deer aren't standing side by side or 2 tags get filled with one shot.
Preserve the Loess Hills!!!

Offline NimrodRx

• Contributor
12 ga slug drop.
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 01:13:32 PM »
That's a good point Clodbuster.  I'll have to shoot 75 and see where I am.  It would sure be nice to be able to hold right on out to 100.  We'll see how high I am at 50 now that I should be zeroed at 100.

I'm going to the range on Sat.  I'll let you know what I find out.  Luckily, Gander had all their slugs 20% off today.  I stocked up on the Federal Premiums.  My gun just seems to love em.

I always had 3 inch groups with Copper Solids at 100 yrds and was happy with that.  I just tried these Federals on a whim.  Boy, was I pleasently surprised.  1.5 inch groups at 100 yds.   :D

Offline LMM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
12 ga slug drop.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 10:43:52 PM »
Slugs suck??  They shoot flatter than mortar rounds!

:D  :-D  :)  :eek:  :shock:  :?  :roll:  :wink:
LMM

"If you can blame guns for killing people, then I can blame my pencil for misspelled words."
--Larry the Cable Guy

Offline NimrodRx

• Contributor
12 ga slug drop.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 12:46:43 PM »
As far as ballistics go, yes slugs are "challenged" to say the least :( .

Unfortunately, here in southern MI, we're only allowed to use shotguns & MLs.

Finally got back to the range today.  Gave another slug a try - the Winchester Supreme Partition Gold (12 ga, 2 ¾ inch, 385 grain, 1900 fps High Velocity).  The results - they grouped nearly as well as the Federal Premiums (1.5 inches @ 50 yards and 2-3 inches at 100 yards).  However, they really stood out in terms of trajectory.   8)

With a 100 yrd zero, I’m only 2 inches high at 50 yards.  I was 4 inches high at 50 with the Federal Premiums.  I have found my hunting slug!  :lol:

All that speed did come at a cost though.  The recoil is noticeably greater than the Federals.  Still manageable and worth it for the flat trajectory.  I’m real anxious to see what kind of a drop I’m getting at 125 and 150 yards.

Offline nealglen37

• Avid Poster
I'm goint to buy a slug gun
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 02:43:36 PM »
I'm going to buy a slug gun.......found a new hunting area that is slug only....................question for you guys..........would the drop on a 20 guage be any less ??????????

thanks

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
12 ga slug drop.
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 04:26:04 PM »
Thanks Nimrod for posting this useful informaton;  You may want to stock up now on that ammo.  Winchester seems to constantly change their offerings and stores may not stock all their different loads.  With the price increasing every year you not only save $$$ but assure you will have a reliable load in enough quantity.  It's too expensive to experiment with new loads every year when you can't find what you are sighted in for.

Offline NimrodRx

• Contributor
12 ga slug drop.
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 08:10:44 PM »
Neal, if I had it to do again, I'd probably go with the 20 ga.  Take a look at the ballistics.  A 20 ga isn't far off from a 12 ga slug.  In fact, it's superior in terms of velocity and trajectory.  The fact is, for whitetail, you don't need a full oz of lead.  The reduced recoil is nice too.  It's real easy to develop a flinch when shooting these HV 12 ga slugs.  

Rebal, yah, I stocked up.  I can't afford to do this every year.  Bought 10 boxes from GM.  It hurt, but I shouldn't have to buy another slug for a while.  Then again, I just ran across a sweet deal on a Hastings barrel for my 1187.  That's going to require some expiramenting 8) .  Good point, for all I know, Win won't offer the Partition Gold HV next year??