Author Topic: SCOPE FOR A 50 BMG  (Read 829 times)

Offline BUSTER51

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
SCOPE FOR A 50 BMG
« on: January 10, 2005, 01:58:44 PM »
I just ordered a Serb BFG50 and will need a good scope for it that won't break the bank I will probably not shoot any thing but paper with it. if I can get 2 inch groups at 300 yds that shoud  be good enough and my max is mayby 600 yds. anyone have any experiance with scopeing a 50bmg ?I plan on useing IMI 647gr fmjbt to start with than reload later.

Offline Zachary

SCOPE FOR A 50 BMG
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 03:57:06 AM »
When you buy a gun like a 50BMG, you really can't buy something that won't "break the bank."  Such large guns require similarly large (or rather high quality) scopes.

The only scope that I know of that I personally recommend is the Nightforce NXS.  I have one in a 5.5x22x-56mm  Illuminated.  They are big and heavy.  In fact, it's aluminum tubing is about twice as thick as most other tubes - twice as thick - can you imagine?

I have my NXS mounted on a Remington Sendero SF in .300 Win Mag. - hardly a kicker for such a scope, but I have shot,  and seen many other people shoot, this same scope on the 50 BMG at 1000 yard contests with never any problems.  In fact, you can see targets very sharply, crisply, and clearly at long ranges.   Want to know some inside information?  I spoke with the head of Nightforce some time ago - he told me that they had some problems - albeit minor - with the higher magnification line - like the ones like 8x-32x, but never any problems with the 5.5x-22x line and smaller.

I think I bought my scope for about $1,200 about 2 years ago.  You can check with the Optic Zone because I'm pretty sure that they sell them.  Plus,  you don't have to get the 56mm objective line, they do have 50mm lines that are equally bullet proof.

Some people recommend a higher end Leupold for the 50 BMG, but they too cost about the same price, and I have heard of more of them being sent back for repairs,  but never (or at least much less often) an Nightforce for repairs.

With a 50 BMG, you really can't skimp out on optics.

Zachary

Offline coyote 2

• Avid Poster
    • http://spaces.msn.com/members/schwager/
SCOPE FOR A 50 BMG
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 05:08:49 AM »
Double post sorry
Don't cry because its over - Smile because it happened!

Offline coyote 2

• Avid Poster
SCOPE FOR A 50 BMG
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 05:17:44 AM »
In temperatures or searing desert heat (-50 degrees to +130 degrees Fahrenheit, and altitudes of 30,000 feet to deptIn sub-zero hs of 15 feet in salt water) the waterproof, shockproof, fogproof Super Sniper performs. Whatever the weapon, from .223 to .50 BMG, the Super Sniper handles the recoil. Whatever the target, the Super Sniper gives you the best advantage. Made of lightweight aluminum but strong as steel, it has superior fully-multicoated optics for maximum light transmission. Built to NATO specs. As per SWAF - This is a Tasco Super Sniper scope made in Japan for SWAF only. http://www.riflescopes.com/departments/231/rifle_scopes/super_sniper.htm

I have one on my 10FE LE1 308 and would compare it to my Leupold scope anytime - and at half the cost. Mil/dot fix power 10/16 or 20X. Before purchasing this unit - I did lots of home work and 99% of the contacts were positive about the scope.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
SCOPE FOR A 50 BMG
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 07:26:44 AM »
I had a Hesse 50BMG and a Ferret50 BMG. On both of them I used the Leupold 3.5X10X50mm and had not one problem. I did not shoot real long distances so I did not use a lot of adjustment for windage or elevation. If you plan on some long distance shooting, you will want a scope with a lot of elevation and windage adjustment. Leupold Mark4 or look into the IOR Valdada. My Leupold VariXIII work great for me, I put will over 1500 rounds fired on it. I sold the 50 BMG's but I still have the Leupold VariXIII on my Tikka 300 Win Mag.  :D  Good luck with your 50BMG and have a blast.  :grin:
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Zachary

SCOPE FOR A 50 BMG
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 12:18:36 PM »
Actually, I bought my Nightforce NXS from Chris at SWFA a couple of years ago.

Hey Chris, how do you rate the Nightforce to the Super Sniper?  I know that the SS is a fixed 10x (I think), but other than that, what are your comparative thoughts?

Zachary

Offline BUSTER51

• Avid Poster
SCOPE FOR A 50 BMG
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 05:49:29 AM »
Can you even compare a Nightforce and a Tasco on any level? I had considered a super sniper ,but read some where they don't hold zero ,I don't know where but it was tested and they found it lacking .

Offline Zachary

SCOPE FOR A 50 BMG
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 07:10:39 AM »
I agree with you.  Although I have heard some pretty good things about the Tasco SS (mostly from SWFA's testimonials) I don't know how a Tasco can be compared to a Nightforce.  Still, whatever the comparison may be, Chris could be better able to tell us first hand.

Zachary

Offline coyote 2

• Avid Poster
SCOPE FOR A 50 BMG
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 12:28:04 PM »
Can you even compare a Nightforce and a Tasco on any level? I had considered a super sniper ,but read some where they don't hold zero ,I don't know where but it was tested and they found it lacking .

I agree - the comparison - is not too fair - and your looking at a $1500 dollar scope against a $300 scope. Was just giving a different idea than spending so much money. Would like to see the test your speaking of about the lacking of the Tasco SS - all I read was pretty good reviews and the folk I spoke with thought for the money they were pretty good scopes. I love mine............ and it will hold my aim at 400 yards pretty dang good.....

Offline victorcharlie

SCOPE FOR A 50 BMG
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 12:49:35 PM »
I don't have a 50 BMG but a close friend does.  He has a Weaver Grand Slam on his.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Zachary

SCOPE FOR A 50 BMG
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 02:10:51 PM »
Wow, I'm surprised.  Both because the Grand Slams, although good scopes for the money, cause me to think that they just can't hold up to a 50 BMG.  Second because the Grand Slams do not have a lot of eye relief. - something like in the very low 3" range.  By comparison, I think that my Nightforce is 4" or more.

Zachary