Author Topic: Cleaning cast bullet guns  (Read 633 times)

Offline joeb33050

• Trade Count: (0)
Cleaning cast bullet guns
« on: January 14, 2005, 02:31:47 AM »
Most of my guns clean up with a few patches with Marvel Mystery Oil, after shooting cast. My measure of clean is when a clean tight patch comes out of the bore as clean as it went in. Sometimes I get lead, comes out with a Lead Away patch, by Kleen Bore. Every now and then I get a grey tight patch after cleaning for a while. This means lead. I use Kroil on a tight patch, tight enough so the patch squeaks as it goes through the bore. This patch will take out some tiny pieces of lead. It doesn't take much lead to get a tight patch grey. I do this until tight patches come out clean.
Other than an electric machine, does anybody know of a better way to get a little lead out of the bore?
Thanks;
joe b.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 04:52:03 AM »
The best way I have found is the Veral Smith method - use a bronze brush one caliber smaller than your barrel, wrap it in that copper Chore Girl stuff (Kind of like coarse steel wool, but made out of copper) and scrub the bore. It removes leading like a champ! Then I follow it up with a proper caliber size brush, then patches wet with Ed's Red.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 07:13:33 AM »
In a STAINLESS gun only.  You can make a concoction of 50% white veniger and 50% hydrogen peroxide, pour it down the barrel (plug the bottom end) and after 5 minutes EVERY TRACE of lead will come out with a pass or two of a clean patch.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline joeb33050

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 01:30:33 AM »
Would some of you guys take a clean lead bullet gun and push a tight patch through it and tell me if it comes out clean? Do you guys get clean patches when you clean?
joe b.

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 04:28:10 AM »
When I push thorough the last patch it's clean,nothing on it.
If you have narrow lines on it you still have lead.
I seldom have a lead problem in my Shiloh's. I never have used a bore brush in them.
When I start a day at the range I run a few dry patches through the bore to take out the oil, then I shoot a fouling round with a thin coat of lube on the nose of the bullet, blow tube to soften the fouling run two dry patches through I do this three times. This recodes the bore with bullet lube that you cleaned out when you clean your rifle.
You will see by looking at your patches that the small lead flakes start to disappear after two or  three shots if you have a smooth bore.
Kroil is a good penetrating oil to loosen lead but it also takes out a lot of the what I call seasoning.

Kurt
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.