Author Topic: 9422 new arrival  (Read 1167 times)

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
9422 new arrival
« on: March 24, 2005, 10:20:40 AM »
I was in a gun store today and a 9422 in .22 mag called to me.  It is traditional with good wood and was like new.  I bought it without checking value, but it was in such good shape, and I got it for $200.00.  I don't think I will regret it.

Now I am wondering where I can go to get the date of manufacture for this gun.  The Old Guns site won't even search for this one, and the other listed site just tells me it was post 1982.  Any thoughts?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Fullchoke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
9422 new arrival
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 11:44:48 AM »
Good Luck on dating your 9422M. Seems as though Winchester wants to keep us in the dark on when the 9422/9422M were made.

I think you will really like this rifle. All steel and real wood. Good quality. Price wise, I'd say you did fine. Let us know how she shoots.

BTW; isn't that "jh45gun's" truck you're driving? :)  :)

Offline jhm

9422 new arrival
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 12:27:19 PM »
KeithL  :  A lot of it is going to depend on which model 9422 you have, the blue book is showing 9 different models and various dates of manu. advise you to take it to a qualified gunshop to look it up ib blue book to give you the correct model # and the aprox. value along with the estamated year it was manu. :D    JIM

Offline Keith L

9422 new arrival
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 05:00:26 PM »
I don't know if this helps or not but it is a 9422M XTR.  The serial number is F49XXXX.  It has a beautiful walnut stock and well cut checkering.  The fit and finish are outstanding as well, with the steel a nice glossy blue.  I gave it a good cleaning tonight and the action is smooth and wiggle free.  The trigger is respectable for factory, so it may have been worked on by the previous owner.

I don't have save queens, so I plan to shoot this one as well as my other guns.  I bought it because of the steel and wood, how it looked and how it felt.  Now if it will only shoot...

Offline jhm

9422 new arrival
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 04:01:29 AM »
The original 9422 XTR didnt have any checkering manu 1985-1987, the 9422 standard however had a XTR suffix until 1989 in 100% these are at $325 to 90% at $190 however thats all blue book values. :D    JIM

Offline Keith L

9422 new arrival
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 04:37:50 AM »
Thanks!

Offline Keith L

9422 new arrival
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 02:33:43 PM »
I noticed a wiggle between the buttstock and the forestock when cleaning up this gun.  I was concerned until I tried the large screw that is just in front of the buttstock on the reciever and found it loose.  With that tight then all the movement is gone.  I found an eight page manual that Winchester shipped with these rifles and see that is how the gun is taken down for cleaning.  I will do that soon, and give the works a good cleaning and looking over.

I hope this one shoots.  I am really liking this gun and plan to keep it if it works well.