Author Topic: Smith & Wesson Scopes  (Read 586 times)

Offline Huntyeraws

• Trade Count: (0)
Smith & Wesson Scopes
« on: January 09, 2005, 10:28:46 AM »
I know that they discontinued them, but who made em for S&W?  Any comments?  

The reason I ask is that I picked a NIB 1.5X - 6X 28mm S&W pistol scope for $99 on eBay last night, it sounded like too good of a deal that I couldn't pass up as I needed another scope for one of my T/C barrels.   :wink:
visit the home of the American Water Spaniel Field Association  www.awsfa.org

LPWA
http://lakeplainswaterfowl.homestead.com

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Smith & Wesson Scopes
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 10:47:18 AM »
They're made by Hakko in Japan. I have three of em, pretty good scopes for the money, a bit on the heavy side, though.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Huntyeraws

Smith & Wesson Scopes
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 01:06:29 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply!   :D

LPWA

Offline Zachary

Smith & Wesson Scopes
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 05:03:04 AM »
Ironically, I received two as a gift from two different people.  I haven't shot them yet, but I did mount them on two rifles.  Hopefully I will get a chance to shoot them soon.  The glass on the S&Ws seem pretty good - probably better than an Elite 3200, but no as good as the Elite 4200.  Still, both seem to have a rainguard feature, although I haven't tested that on the S&W either - yet.

Warranty work is of a concern,  but then again, I got the scopes for free as a gift, so I guess it shouldn't really be a real concern.

Zachary

Offline Huntyeraws

Smith & Wesson Scopes
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 05:31:09 AM »
I just got it in the mail today.  It loooks nice, weighs a bit less than my T/C scope - a little chunky looking, but nice.   The optics are very clear.   I think it was a good deal.

Zach, As for the warranty, I have heard S&W will honor the lifetime warranty on these scopes.

LPWA

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
Smith & Wesson Scopes
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 07:21:12 AM »
I emailed S&W about the warranty after I got my first scope cuz it didn't come with a warranty registration card, they said to just keep the sales receipt for the scope and they would honor the warranty. RSR Group will support shipment to Hakko for repair and S&W will replace a scope if need be, they have a stockpile of the scopes they retained when they were discontinued so they would have warranty replacements.

Tim

Offline Donaldo

• A Real Regular
Smith & Wesson Scopes
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 03:53:17 PM »
I got one of the 4x18's from an outfit off ebay.  Paid about $127 or so.  Like has been said, they are a bit long and heavy, but that is not a problem with me.  The ocular lens was loose on the one I got.  When it was screwed out to focus, it was loose, let the crosshair move around.  Talked to the people I got it from, they were out, but would refund my $$.  I wanted the scope so I called S&W about it.  They said ship it to them.  It took about 2-3 weeks and some confusion on their part, but I did get a new scope back and it was and is OK.  Pretty nice optics for a reasonable price.  Have been wanting a 6x24 or so and have seen some of the S&W's but I am leary of the warranty.  Like how many of these scopes did they put back.  Might buy one if the price was right though and take my chances.
Luke 11:21

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
Smith & Wesson Scopes
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 03:58:58 PM »
They didn't say how many replacement scopes they had, but they were confident that a replacement or repair would be available if ever needed.