Author Topic: Yet another stupid question.... HELP!  (Read 842 times)

Offline Bikenut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Yet another stupid question.... HELP!
« on: January 06, 2005, 10:58:35 AM »
Yeah, ok, I often ask stupid questions.......... but if I don't ask how will I know?

Background... I have a Savage 22-250 that I've put close to 4000 rounds through but cleaned regularily... gunsmith had a look at it because accuracy had gone South... verdict... barrel (throat) burned up. Ok... I've since learned that this is not unusual.

So... barrels do burn up. My question is: How many rounds, on average, can I expect my 7.62x39 SKS to last before burning the barrel out? (Assuming I clean it regularily and don't fire it until hot enough to cook lunch on the barrel.)

And... is there any kind of formula/guess work that would equate barrel life expectancy to muzzle velocity and/or cartridge powder loading and/or caliber?

Reason I'm asking is.... I want to buy an extreme long range rifle but... the way I use my firearms is to shoot them quite often so I don't want to tie up a ton of money in something that I'll burn the barrel out of in just one summer. Maybe a burnt barrel is just the price of shooting?
The longer I live, the older I get.
Neither has anything to do with wisdom.

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 11:36:12 AM »
Not an expert but here is what I have been told in the past. A lot of hot rod cartridges 22-250, 220 Swift ect have problems with erosion of the throats. After x # rounds, what the magic # is I have not idea. Most likely depends on how hot they are loaded, the hotter they are the faster you erode the throats. You shoot them enough it will happen. I dont know that it is as big of a problem with some thing like the SKS 7.62x39, because the pressures in the throat are not as great. So you have a longer barrel life. I have heard the the 223 WSM is a real barrel burner, like problems after 400-600 rounds?

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 11:39:36 AM »
Not an expert but here is what I have been told in the past. A lot of hot rod cartridges 22-250, 220 Swift ect have problems with erosion of the throats. After x # rounds, what the magic # is I have not idea. Most likely depends on how hot they are loaded, the hotter they are the faster you erode the throats. You shoot them enough it will happen. I dont know that it is as big of a problem with some thing like the SKS 7.62x39, because the pressures in the throat are not as great. So you have a longer barrel life. I have heard the the 223 WSM is a real barrel burner, like problems after 400-600 rounds?

Offline clodbuster

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
throat erosion
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 12:00:36 PM »
Bikenut   I think you did pretty well getting 4000 rounds thru your 22-250 barrel before erosion got bad enough to affct accuracy.  If you like the gun otherwise,  why not just re-barrel it?  Much less cost than a new gun.
Preserve the Loess Hills!!!

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 01:11:01 PM »
As I understand it, the larger the case and smaller the bullet diameter the quicker the barrel goes south.  My 22-250 went almost 5000 rounds before I found out the barrel was junk.  The last 12 to 1500 of those rounds I thought I was doing something wrong until I met a gunsmith who explained things to me.  (By the way, this smith was the father of Jimmy Best who played the sheriff on Dukes of Hazard and was a fine smith in his day)  Second barrel came at just short of 2800 rounds.  There doesn't seem to be a real rule or formula for barrel life other than the more powder you burn, the faster the slug goes and the quicker the barrel goes away.  If someone can explain it better I'd love to hear it too.

Offline powderman

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 03:36:03 PM »
BIKENUT. No such thing as a stupid question. I agree with Big medicine.The 2250 is a hot little round. Why not try a 270, or somrthing with a larger cal bullet and less velocity than that little 22 cal pill. Less wind drift, and farther shooting? I don't know your intended target but I'm partial to the 308 win, or 7.62 nato. Still plenty of surplus ammo available for plinking at reasonable prices,readily available. Large variety of bullet weights, and plenty of power in the hands of a rifleman. POWDERMAN.  :D  :D  :D  :D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 04:47:22 PM »
Another way to explain it is a gun is just like a car. You drive with the accelerator on the floor the car won't last to long. Back off some and it will last a lot longer. There are several cartridges that are called "high intensity" rounds. The 22-250, 220 Swift, And most of the belted magnums are hard on barrels especialy the small bore Weatherby Magnums. A prairie dog, ground hog, or any varmint will never know the difference from a 220 Swift or a 308 or 270. In my younger days I was a velocity nut, if it didn't do 3500 to 4000 ft per second I didn't want it when in reality all hyper velocity does is cost you extra money for barrels. :D
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
Stupid questions and barrel erosion
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 02:53:43 AM »
My dear old pappy told me, "Never be afraid to ask a stupid question.  They're easier to deal with than stupid mistakes."

For a given cartridge and load, a stainless barrel will be slower to erode than a conventional steel barrel.  You might want to consider stainless if erosion is a real issue.

Most people are unaware of this, but stainless steel was originally a British developement for artillery barrel liners, circa WWI.  Erosion is a big problem in artillery where you are burning powder by the pound in a long barrel with high pressure maintained for a longer time than it would be in a shoulder fired rifle.

Offline Dali Llama

Re: Stupid questions and barrel erosion
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 08:00:12 AM »
Quote from: unspellable
My dear old pappy told me, "Never be afraid to ask a stupid question.  They're easier to deal with than stupid mistakes."

How true, muse Dali Llama... :-)
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline BamBams

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 04:42:30 AM »
I don't think anyone can give you a "number" for the SKS.  First of all, there are different SKSs of varying quality, ie: Russian, Chinese, Yugo, Romainian, etc.

SKSs (except the Russian) are pretty darn inexpensive.  If you enjoy shooting them alot, I'd get more than one.  That's what I did anyway.  By the way, I've got several thousand rounds through a Russian, and it still shoots very accurately - for a military rifle that is.

Rebarreling is also a good option for target rifles.  Brownells sells all kinds of barrels in a plethora of metals and finishes.  I'd even bet there are SKS barrels out there someplace. As another poster said, it's better than buying another rifle.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Bikenut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 04:14:18 AM »
Thanks to all for the good info... I especially like the idea of just buying another inexpensive SKS as that makes just too much sense!  :grin:  Lemme see, where is that online auction bookmark.... hehehehehe... Oh Boy! Another excus... errrrr... reason to buy a gun!

As for rebarreling my 22-250... sticking a $200.00 barrel (barrel + gunsmith fees) into a $400.00 rifle that will only last a summer's worth of shooting... then do it again... and again... so I eventually end up with a $400 rifle I have a few thousand into.... nah, I'll leave it where it is now... hanging on the wall.

And thanks for the support about "stupid questions" as I've always thought the only stupid question was the one that wasn't asked for fear of ridicule. I'd be proud to share the range with all of ya's!

By the way, I just put a 3x9 scope on my SKS. I'm hoping that will help with MY accuracy since I can't see them durn iron sights. But, since I just had a total knee replacement late last month it will be spring before I get to the range to sight it in.

Offline BamBams

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 05:29:04 AM »
Let us know how the scope works.  Did you mount it on the receiver cover, or on the barrel?
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2005, 07:34:57 AM »
Quote from: Bikenut
I've always thought the only stupid question was the one that wasn't asked for fear of ridicule.
That be correct, concur Dali Llama. :grin:

Offline Bikenut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2005, 12:43:46 PM »
Quote from: BamBams
Let us know how the scope works.  Did you mount it on the receiver cover, or on the barrel?

Sorry for the delay in replying.... I've been online but hadn't checked into the forum for a while..... and had left knee totally replaced late last month... in fact, got out of the hospital on Christmas day. And things aren't going so well either... sure hope I'm not going to fall into the % of surgeries that don't work out....... *sigh*...

Anyway, I mounted the scope on the receiver cover. A shooting buddy had an aftermarket cover with weaver rail and just gave it to me. Nice guy!

Upon changing the covers.. the stock one fit VERY loosely... I discovered the aftermarket one also fit somewhat loosely. Not as bad as the stock one but it still moved around. Now that's not good for getting accuracy with a scope if the scope is moving... sooooooooooo..... Hang onto your hat for this.....

Red Green would be proud of me. I cleaned up the cover's tab where it fits into the receiver and, well, duct taped it. I cut the tape to fit the hole where the pin goes through and stuck it on there. It fit very snugly. Ok, ok, this is a temporary fix just to see if scoping the rifle is going to be worthwhile. If it does work I'll remove the duct tape and epoxy thin strips of plastic in it's place... or possibly use something like liquid steel or aluminum and file it to fit for a permanent repair.

However, due to the surgery, it is going to be a month or more before I can get to the range and sight it in/evaluate how well scoping an SKS works.

And now, just because I'm feeling a bit down, I'll complain a little. I've been stuck in the house since Christmas day with nothing to do but hurt and watch TV. I haven't fired a round in nearly a month. I'm going freaking nuts!!!!!!! Would you believe I got so bored I disassembled my new last month Ruger Mark II just to see if I could get it apart and back together? I just HAD to fondle a gun! :)

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2005, 06:05:11 AM »
had left knee totally replaced late last month... in fact, got out of the hospital on Christmas day. And things aren't going so well either... sure hope I'm not going to fall into the % of surgeries that don't work out.......
Dali Llama say he wish Honorable Bikenut a rapid and full recovery. :-)

Offline Bikenut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2005, 09:39:34 AM »
Thanks Dali....... hey, don't let anyone BS ya, recovery from knee replacement is PAINFUL![/b][/u]

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2005, 10:13:45 AM »
Thanks Dali....... hey, don't let anyone BS ya, recovery from knee replacement is PAINFUL![/b][/u]
Dali Llama say that what he hear. :(

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
knee replacements
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2005, 08:14:13 AM »
The resident gun smith at a local sporting goods store had a knee replacement for both knees.  Said it made a new man of him.