Author Topic: Some Scope Info  (Read 879 times)

Offline SoftPoint

• Trade Count: (0)
Some Scope Info
« on: February 04, 2003, 09:20:07 AM »
To Fellow Posters:
The information I am about to give you is second hand, so I am leary of posting it. But I think it will lead to could conversation.
A friend of mine, who works at a local optical shop, performs service and factory authorized warranty work on binoculars, telescopes, riflescopes etc. has informed me that he has seen only one riflescope that is truly "shock-proof".
This riflescope has dual O-rings on both sides of the lenses for waterproofing. But what sets it aside from the other manufacturers, is that the O-rings on both sides are backed up with spring loading for shock-proofing in both directions. All of the other manufacturers have spring loading in only one direction(from the inside pushing out). He said that he has seen this only in very expensive German optics(I assume Swarovski, Zeiss, etc.).
The manufacturer of this scope: SIMMONS
I do not endorse this companies products, but I thought it would be of interest to all of you.
------------------
Cheers!
SoftPoint

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Some Scope Info
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2003, 12:40:15 PM »
I believe this to be bad info.

The two sided support is common to any scope intended for use with spring powered air guns because they deliver recoil to the scope in both directions and are capable of taking apart scopes not so protected. Not sure just where the springs you mention are supposed to be located so can't comment on that.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Zachary

Some Scope Info
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2003, 01:12:08 PM »
GB is correct about this feature being on high power air guns.  I currently have a RWS air gun that shoots .17 pellets at a claimed velocity of 1,000 fps.  The scope that came with it is an RWS scope and is intended for air guns.

Some people think that they can put a cheap scope (that may have been on something extremely light kicking like a .22LR) on an airgun with no problem.  Well guess what, that air rifle will destroy that scope in no time at all.

Simmons being the only manufacturer of such a "shock proof" scope sounds foolish to me.  Take a look at the Bushnell brochure.  It says that the Elite 4200 4x-16x-50mm (or maybe it's the 40mm version) that can also be used on airguns.  Now THAT'S A SCOPE.

Zachary

Offline SoftPoint

Question to GB and Zachary
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2003, 01:31:59 PM »
Would it be a safe assumption based on the info you presented that a scope that is air gun "capable" is a stronger built scope than one that is not? My point being that if all Simmons scopes are built to be air gun capable, that their entire line is strongly built.
Cheers!
SoftPoint