Author Topic: Beaten to death topic: Burris vs Leupold?  (Read 780 times)

Offline Mauser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Beaten to death topic: Burris vs Leupold?
« on: January 18, 2005, 01:22:36 AM »
While at a sporting goods store yesterday, I had a chance to compare a Leupold VXI to a Burris Fullfield II.  Both were 3x9 variables.  While it is very hard to tell the difference during the day, it seemed that the Burris was slightly clearer and brighter.  This surprised me as I've been a loyal Leupold user for decades and have always had the impression that they were the top American product especially for scopes around $200.00  On the clerk's suggestion I tried the Burris.  Otherwise I was just going to buy the Leupold.  I'm going to buy one of these two scopes for my Savage 17 HMR rifle.  Does anyone have any insights about the two scopes under field conditions?

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 04:50:27 AM »
The Burris you mentioned is superior in every way to the Leupold you talked about.  The Burris will be just as reliable, brighter, clearer, and priced about the same or less.  Just goes to show you that Leupold is a good marketer, but has greatly overpriced their products. Same is true for the VXII and VXIII.

Offline scratcherky

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 04:52:38 AM »
Generally, you get what you pay for!
Don & man's best friend
Still looking at the green side of sod

Offline Ramrod

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 12:01:09 AM »
You do get what you pay for with Leupold, and a full lifetime warranty. And I've not heard of anyone who bought one on the basis of marketing. They buy them because of reputation, quality, and that ironclad warranty.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline Mauser

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 01:13:48 AM »
I forgot to mention that the scopes were priced the same at $199.99.  Don't both have a lifetime warranty?

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 05:07:02 AM »
Both do have a lifetime warranty.  The Burris is optically superior to the Leupold mentioned.  Anyone who has ever looked through the two will tell you that.  Infact, the Burris FFII, at that price, is the best bang for the buck out there.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 09:26:58 AM »
I have been disappointed with Leupold.  They are definately overpriced.  And I say this not only as a moderator,  but also as someone who owns several makes of scopes - Nikon Monarch, Elite 4200 and 3200, Nightforce NXS, Burris Black Diamond, Leupold Vari-X III, and others that I can't think of right now.

I'm telling you straight up that the Nikon Monarch has better optics than the Leupold Vari-X IIIs.  Now, I don't know about the newer VX-IIIs so I can't compare, but the older Vari-X IIIs were very disappointing in the optics department.

I don't have much personal experience with Burris's lower lines, nor the Leupold VX-I for that matter, but I do know that the VX-I has "friction" adjustments, which I think is ridiculous on a $200 scope.  Heck, even a $50 scope has click adjustments.

Zachary