Author Topic: Source needed for .224 bullets  (Read 947 times)

Offline DanielWGriggs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Source needed for .224 bullets
« on: January 20, 2005, 02:20:55 PM »
I am looking for a source for .224 diameter 40-45 gr lead or #2Alloy bullets. This is to be used for reduced loads in a .223 H&R ultra. I can get all the jacketed bullets from the major manufactures.

I noticed this forum and since I prefer not to cast and lube my own I figure it won't hurt to ask if anyone knows where to find such an item.

what would it cost to get into swagging my own. initial set up recommendations for .223 or 308.

Guess I should go read before asking. Back in a day or so.

Offline TomF

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 03:15:19 PM »
PM sent.

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 06:50:23 PM »
Dan, suggest you also post this notice (less the request on swaging data) on our sister  "Cast Bullet" forum, as someone there may be able to be competitive making your lead/alloy bullets.  Just a note on your "reading up" on Swaging... In 2 days you will just skim the surface. Some of us have been actively engaged in it for years and are still learning. That's what makes the hobby so interesting. 8)

Offline DanielWGriggs

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 02:58:49 AM »
Thanks TomF

talon
I've been reading for a couple of months judt not about cost of equipment this sounds like an interesting hobby, and one suited for my interests.

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 04:37:34 AM »
Dan, two of the biggest drawbacks to the Swaging hobby is the cost of the equipment and the time it takes between ordering what you want and when it's ready for shipment. Two others are the  availability of bullet jackets and lead. These 4 items are probably not well discuss  in your readings. First, the cost: I've noticed that one can usually resell their unwanted swaging equipment for not much less than what it costs new. Unfortunately, not too much can be done about the waiting period for new equipment. Sometimes, thou, you can purchase used stuff on the auction sites, or from folks on forums like this one, but not for much as a discount (see first comment). Presses and dies for .224s and .308s are (relatively)very common thou. For bullet jackets, you won't have any problem at all getting jackets up to .32 caliber, and there's a new producer in the field that makes them to order from .33 to .50 caliber. As a note, you may have to get a jacket trim set, or saw, to make the specific length you want in the .22-32 size, as selections here are very minimal. The last item, getting your lead cores, is very simple if you are willing to pay $2 a pound plus shipping for lead wire. Many of us just cast cores, but you indicated you wanted to avoid that. A few of us have the hydraulic equipment to make our own wire, but even that requires smelting scrap lead to make the swaging billets, but even then it's a little difficult finding a supply of "pure" lead. We persevere simply because 'home made' wire costs about 1/10th as much as 'store bought' and you'll find that you can go thru lots of it in one evening, especially if you are making .44 or .45 pistol bullets! A final comment about the Federal law about making (manufacturing ) bullets: anyone can make them for their own use without a licence, but selling them requires one. Too, you have to check with your State and local authorities about what they require licence-wise.
 8)

Offline DanielWGriggs

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 10:06:11 AM »
Yes, I know that it is expensive and since I have only a handi{single shot} I don't go through a lot of ammo. Was mainly looking to purchase some for reduced loads small game hunting,special purpose. and teaching grandkids about shooting big rifles without scaring the bejesus out of em. I don't usually get to take em to the range with me but sometimes they just wanna go with grandpa and I would like to show them that 22's come in a bigger size too. Thanks for the replies maybe I will just have to cast and size but I do like the Idea of swagging pure lead into a hunting bullet suitable for squirrels. could make my own pellets too. I best keep reading probably end up with both some day.
My brother is a plumber I can get lead from him most of the time. usually do for my round balls and minie in 44 and 58