Author Topic: Hi-Point pistols?  (Read 868 times)

Offline buckeye hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Hi-Point pistols?
« on: January 21, 2005, 11:53:28 AM »
Anyone using a hi-point handgun for concealed carry?

Offline Scorpius

Hi-Point pistols?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 03:35:19 PM »
God, I hope not.  I would never trust my life to one of those weapons.  Sure, they're cheap, made in Ohio, all that stuff, but....  you get what you pay for.  I held the thing in my hand for around 5 seconds, then had to put it down for fear of it exploding and tearing me up (just paranoia from the bulky, plasticky feel of it).  I don't know, the price is great, but I'd rather spend $100 -$150 more and get a Kel-Tec or Bersa.  Just my $.02.

Scorpius
Love 'em or hate 'em, guns are here to stay.  Whichever side you choose, please be informed.  
www.nra.org/
www.packing.org/
www.ofccpac.org/

Offline Savage

Hi-Point pistols?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 10:24:17 AM »
If a Hipoint was all I had, I'd be carrying it! I bet the same is true with everyone here!!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Scorpius

Hi-Point pistols?
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 11:59:00 PM »
no offense to anybody, but personally, i'd carry my 21" ASP before I carried a Hi-Point.  At least I know that my baton will work every time.
Love 'em or hate 'em, guns are here to stay.  Whichever side you choose, please be informed.  
www.nra.org/
www.packing.org/
www.ofccpac.org/

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
Hi-Point pistols?
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 07:57:23 AM »
The Hi-Point pistols are amazingly reliable. I have put 400 rounds through several of them without a single malfunction. Its true they are cheap and cheap looking but a saying just as famous as the worn out "you get what you pay for" is, You can't judge a book by its cover. They work pretty darn well and if I were on a budget and still needed a pistol, I would be darn happy to have one. I have shot both 9mm and 45 acp.
shot placement is everything.

Offline jgalar

Hi-Point pistols?
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 02:22:06 AM »
I don't know about the hi-point but most of the cheap autoloaders have fairly mickey mouse safetys. I would carry with the chamber empty.

Offline 357mag

Hi-Point pistols?
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 05:29:46 AM »
Not to be a jerk or offend you James, but 400 rounds is not all that many. I go through 1-2 boxes each trip to the range and I go at least twice a month. I feel that to be proficient with any gun, especially a carry weapon you need to practice a lot. Each of my handguns has seen at least 1000 rounds in the first six months I've owned them. Even a cheap handgun is made to last more than 1000 rounds so until you hit several thousand fired it is hard to judge a guns integrity and functionability.

As for Hi-Points I feel that I can carry a large rock that will be lighter than the Hi-Point and I would feel safer using.
Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your ancestors, but loaned to you by your children.

Offline Jim101

• Avid Poster
Hi-Point pistols?
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 07:18:18 AM »
A friend and I went to a Gun Show in 2002 and each bought a Hi-Point 9mm for $97.00 (before tax).  After the first 200 rounds they settled down..We take them to the Range every week and run 50-75 rounds through them with no problems.  Also we are using CCI Blazers for targets, with no problems..Neither one of us have any complaints about them.  One time at the range a local cop came over and asked us what they were, so we gave him the gun, 2 clips and let him shoot away.  I have been looking at the .45, may get it.....
It seems like most  of the complaints come from people that don't use them
Jim
Hi-Point 9mm

Offline CornCod

Hi-Point pistols?
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 06:46:02 PM »
I have the carbine version of the 9mm Hi-Point and it works like a charm. The Hi-points have poor balance and are a little heavy. This is because they work on simple blowback and they have to have a thick slide and stiff spring.

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Hi-Point pistols?
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 02:02:01 PM »
I own 2 Hi-Point 9mms. One has been put thru 100 rds month for over a year now. The other has only 45 rds thru it. Neither has ever failed.  I don't know why i bought them tho, as they don't fit my hand at all. I guess I just like to shoot :grin: . Neither one of these guns is my go-to self defense weapon tho.

Offline Jim101

• Avid Poster
Hi-Point pistols?
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 03:03:11 PM »
I'm up to 700 rounds, shoot 50-70 a week at the range with CCI Blazers, not a failure.....I have a Bersa .380 for my carry..

Jim
Hi-Point 9mm

Offline D.G.

Hi-Point pistols?
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 09:23:15 AM »
Have burned a couple of thousand rounds thur my Hi-Point .45. Expensive ammo, cheap ammo, reloads, middle of the road ammo. Functioned flawlessly each and every time with good accuracy. Carry it in the woods, in my truck and at my place of business, it is clunky but indestructible and it works every time I pull the trigger without being having to worry about it being spotless to function.
"Civilization is just a whim, babarism is the natural state of mankind."
"Admired by men, Worshipped by women and Idolized by small children.

Offline Jim101

• Avid Poster
Hi-Point pistols?
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2005, 10:24:03 AM »
I always figured if you ran out of ammo, you could "beat them to death" with the gun..... :)   It's got some weight..
In fact go to this site:

http://www.firearmsid.com/new_index.htm

Register, it's free
Click on GRAPHICS LIBARIES then click on Hi-Point .45....
Interesting CDA drawings and movies on the .45..one on the Hi-point
techs pointed me there..

Jim
Hi-Point 9mm