Author Topic: Bloomberg is a Bloomin Lib...  (Read 396 times)

TM7

Bloomberg is a Bloomin Lib...
« on: January 19, 2005, 08:39:53 PM »
FYI..........TM7

MIKE OPENS FIRE ON GUN MAKERS

By TOM TOPOUSIS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email  Archives
 Print  Reprint

January 19, 2005 --
For the first time in the nation, gun makers and dealers are now liable for injuries or deaths caused by the criminal use of their weapons, under a landmark law signed yesterday by Mayor Bloomberg.

The law — one of four bills signed regulating gun sales and possession — goes further than any other city's effort to hold the gun industry financially responsible for crimes involving their weapons.

"We need to do everything we can to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and out of the hands of children," said Bloomberg. "There's just no argument here. Guns kill people, it's time to get them off the street."

City lawmakers took more than two years to hammer out the legislation, continuing an effort first begun a decade ago by former Brooklyn District Attorney Elizabeth Holtzman, who was at City Hall yesterday.

"To me this is a very important and moving moment. I was a prosecutor in Brooklyn and I had to deal with the families of people who were gunned down," Holtzman said.

Gun makers and dealers are only held liable when they do not comply with a strict code of conduct regulating sales and transfers of their weapons to keep them out of the hands of criminals, Bloomberg said.

Bloomberg and City Council Speaker Gifford Miller both recalled the 2003 shooting death of City Councilman James Davis at City Hall, where the legislation was debated and approved.

Davis' brother, Jeffrey Davis, was on hand for the bill signing.

Miller, called the law an "important and historic step" that will send a powerful message to the gun industry to clean up its act.

"Knowing that these guns are going to end up in someone's hands in the commission of a crime possibly killing or injuring individuals — if you do this, at least New York City is going to find you and make you pay," Miller said.

Among the rules that could hold a dealer or manufacturer liable are multiple gun sales to one person or sales at a gun show without performing a criminal-back^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ground check.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 02:23:09 AM »
TM7 - look ol buddy, it's obvious that the NYC liberals simply do not listen or learn from the mistakes and failures of others.  There is no way this NYC law is going to have any more effect than any of the other municipal lawsuits that have been brought against gun makers and dealers - they have all been denied or turned down by higher courts.  

Look, NYC was the same place where the liberals bemoaned G.W's re-election by saying that there is something wrong with the rest of the nation to re-elect him, and these are the same idiots who had to call in sick on 11/3 because they were just too beside themselves to carry on.  Now, they go and pass a local law that seeks to pin the 'trigger response' by some street creep on the manufacturer - you know how far that will go.  

Hay, even Weinberger, one of the most liberal judges in the 5 boroughs, wasn't going to be able to hold somebody accountable for the mis-use of a product, so M. Bloomburg is just whizzin' into the wind.  Ya gotta take NYC for what it's worth - lots of show and blow but little substance.  Mikey.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 02:58:02 AM »
"Among the rules that could hold a dealer or manufacturer liable are multiple gun sales to one person or sales at a gun show without performing a criminal-back^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ground check."

Ah.... Aren't there Federal laws against these already?  Duh!

I wounder where 'Goonberg' thinks his PD will get their firearms from after stupid laws like this put all the gun manufacturers out of business?  Oops... hadn't thought of that Mayer 'Goonberg'?

"For the first time in the nation, gun makers and dealers are now liable for injuries or deaths caused by the criminal use of their weapons, under a landmark law signed yesterday by Mayor Bloomberg."

If courts can hold gun manufacturers liable for the misuse of an otherwise properly functioning product.  Doesn't that open the door for law suits against automakers and the dealerships that sell them if a reckless driver or car thief hits someone while driving one of their products?  How about if someone gets conked on the head with an Abby Red, shouldn't they be allowed to sue the brick manufacturer too?  How about suing Louisville Slugger or Case Cutlery when their products are used in the commission of a crime also?  You could go on and on.  This law is crap and they know it. I don't believe it would hold up in court.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline RIFLERANGER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 06:40:36 AM »
If it's one thing the libs do well, it is create nonsensical laws to make it look like they are actually doing something.
I doubt any lawsuits against manufacturers and resellers would ever hold up in court unless they can actually be proven guilty of something, such as knowingly selling a gun in a straw purchase.
Highly unlikely.
This would open up the doors for more BS lawsuits and I think even the high court justices have had enough of the crap.
Ranger
"HAVE YOU HUGGED YOUR RIFLES TODAY ?!"

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 01:51:18 PM »
Blooming Liberal...Blooming Idiot...samo, samo....LOL
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)