Author Topic: what's proper way to mount Millett Angle Loc's?  (Read 1533 times)

Offline bluebayou

• Trade Count: (0)
what's proper way to mount Millett Angle Loc's?
« on: December 10, 2004, 04:57:24 PM »
I got some of these for my 308.  I don't want to damage my scope (trying to be a little more cautious about things after screwing some other stuff up).  What is a good, safe way to adjust the windage on these things?  The instructions say to loosen the right side, mount onto the Weaver bases, tighten the right side, and adjust for windage.  That is a little vague for my taste.  What does experience say?  

They are some heavy little puppies too, by the way.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
what's proper way to mount Millett Angle Lo
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 10:48:58 PM »
I'd suggest you mount them the way I did the set I have. In a box in your junk area. Unless you are set up with the proper tools for alignment and ring lapping just buy Burris Signature Rings and save your scopes. They will thank you for it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2004, 05:41:59 AM »
I'm 100% with Graybeard on this but if you must use the millett rings, make sure you use an alignment tool and lap the rings if you value your scope.

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/227261
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2004, 10:31:15 AM »
I heard lots of good stuff about these rings, but now that I have them I don't see how to do it.  If you adjust the windage on one then the scope will be bent.  If you adjust both then there is no windage adjustment gained, you just change the viewing angle (sideways parallax as it were).  Well, these were to go on the Remington 700 that I shipped back to Remington for a new barrel.  So maybe the new barrel was fitted at the correct angle.  I guess that I will wait to see when it gets back.  I feel kinda gypped.  I almost bought the Burris too.  The old Weaver 4x4's that I had on the gun originally fit the scope perfectly (no lapping needed) but required the Leupold scope to be 8MOA to the left.  I think that I got a dog for a Remington but am trying to stay positive.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2004, 10:37:54 AM »
The Burris Signature and Signature Zee rings allow you to use the optional offset insert kit($10) to align the scope without shimming the bases, also allows for windage adjustment similar to the angle-loks but without damaging the scope.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/pdf/SIGRINGS.pdf

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2004, 12:19:48 PM »
Guys I've been telling you this for years. Burris Signature rings is the ONLY safe way to get windage adjustment from your rings without ruining your scopes. And you can just as easily get elevation adjustment when needed. Using the offset inserts if help is needed. If not just use the supplied zero inserts and your scope is still protected. Otherwise you really need to use alignment bar and lap those rings. Ignore the warning at the peril of your scope.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004, 01:32:10 PM »
No, I am not ignoring you.  I will not use the Millett rings.  I am out $20, but $20 versus $400 for the scope......hmmmm, not worth it.  I really like those plastic inserts on the Burris rings.  Midway will get more of my money.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2004, 01:47:14 PM »
Midsouth has a better price on em right now. If they are out of em, The Outdoor Super Store has em for about the same price. Don't forget the offset insert kit.

Midsouth Shooters Supply

Alternative source

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2004, 01:54:22 PM »
Midway will get more of my money.

Send your money to Midsouth instead. Better prices and nicer people to deal with. I've been buying from them over 20 years and now finally they are an advertiser here at GBO.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Buckfever

• A Real Regular
Thanks for scope tool info. Greybeard thanks for the Board!
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2004, 01:04:46 PM »
Quickdtoo thanks for mentioning the alignment and lapping tool.  I think I am goin to re-do a few scope and for sure start with it on two new Tikka's.

Also Greybeard thanks for having the foresight to start this board for the exchange of hunting information.  You were insightful before most people knew what this Internet stuff was all about.   Buckfever

Offline glazer1972

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2005, 11:46:46 AM »
I suggest mounting them in the garbage can.  I bought a rifle with a set of them on it.  I went to make sure they were tight on the base.  Screw head broke half in two.  Mounted them in the garbage and ordered some Warne Bases and Maxima rings.  Now that is the way to go.

Offline scratcherky

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2005, 03:41:07 AM »
I agree angle loc rings belong in the garbage can!
Don & man's best friend
Still looking at the green side of sod

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2005, 07:32:31 AM »
I guess I have to respectfully disagree with some of you folks.  I do agree that Burris has a nice system for scope protection with their synthetic inserts. I have used them myself with good results, but I don't agree that they are the only way to go.  I have also used Millett Angle-Locs for years on many, many rifles and slug guns and since I do make sure to align correctly and lap if necessary, I have had no problems whatsoever- not one.  When I have called Millett for some spare screws or sight parts, their service has always been very, very good.  There are also lots of other ring/mount systems (such as front dovetail, rear windage adjustable)out there that have been used successfully for years by some of the finest riflesmiths on some of the finest rifles, that allow for windage adjustment with the scope rings and do not utilize inserts like Burris.  The bottom line is you have to use reasonable care when you mount a scope, and align your rings correctly.  The Burris system is good, but I have never regretted using other good rings and Milletts have worked well for me.  You can send me all the Milletts you don't want.  Good shootin' :D
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.