Author Topic: Dear Gas Company: Take a Hike This Winter!  (Read 933 times)

Offline BamBams

• Trade Count: (0)
Dear Gas Company: Take a Hike This Winter!
« on: December 02, 2005, 06:26:34 AM »
Last winter, my heating costs were somewhere about 1000.00!   I decided to do something about it this year.  I bought a kerosene heater!  Darn good thing!  I can heat the entire townhouse to 80 degress when the outside temp is in the single digits for about $15.00 a week!

I've learned a lot about these little kerosene heaters lately.  99% efficient and they only smell when you first fire them up.  It's a bit of a pain hauling kerosene from the local pump back home, but hey, I can honestly snub my nose at the natural gas profiteers this winter, and man does it feel good!
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline savageT

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 07:05:39 AM »
BamBams,
How much are you paying for K1-kerosene?  I own a heater (imported Japanese) that I purchased some years ago.  Here in Central New York State, National Grid, the utility company, has projected an increase in natural gas prices of at least $100 per month starting this December!  They project our monthly budget for electric and gas to be about $300plus/month.  We're already setting our thermostat to 68 daytime and 62 nights, and a high efficiency furnace that's one year old.

I've loaned the kerosene heater to our daughter but I've got to admit I'm scared to death of a fire...........They just don't know how they'll pay their utilities unless they turn down their furnace to the low 60's!!!!
They have a zero clearance wood burning fireplace that doesn't put out much heat and most likely looses more than it gains.  It is a no-win situation??????  Are there any safe solutions these days?
Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline BamBams

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 07:15:44 AM »
The place I've been getting the Kerosene from charges $2.49 a gallon - which I think it a bit high right now.  Unfortunately, I live in a small town, so I can't really shop around much.  I fill up 3, 7 gal. jugs when I go to the station - this way I don't have to make as many trips.

I paid about $140.00 for the heater from Home Depot, and with my loose mathematics, it has already paid for itself when compared to what I would have paid the gas company so far.

The heater I purchased has a protective cage around it, and it will shut itself off automatically if it is knocked over.  We've been using it since September now with no problems.  My 16 year old daughter can light it up by herself, but she leaves the filling to me.  It runs continuously for about 13-14 hours when totally filled up.

I think it is very safe, so long as the people involved are responsible and safe in what they are doing.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline savageT

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 07:53:20 AM »
BamBams,
Ah Yes!.....and there's the rub.  My daughter has three children ages 8,7,and 3 years.  Yes, it has a cage on top and around the sides, with a drip pan on the bottom.  We're all pretty concerned as these things do flair up if not watched closely.  As for the price of fuel, I've yet to refill our 5 gallon container so we'll find out soon enough.  They were pleasantly surprised at how much heat it threw off in the living area (living room, dining room and kitchen).  I'm sure they will continue to use it as long as it doesn't stink up the house.

I've read some on the proper upkeep of kerosene heaters and they say to keep it clean by squeezing the wick between thumb and forefingers and routinely dry-burning the wick to get rid of the carbon buildup.  Good Luck and God Bless and protect you and your family. We're all just trying to get though a forecasted long, cold, snowy, winter here in the northeast.  Thanks for your impressions.
Jim

Offline Daveinthebush

Firewood
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 08:25:56 AM »
I have a small box woodstove that I stoke with deadfall trees cut and gathered from about 100 yards from the house.  I will only burn the stove when I am home so I might be using it 1/3 of the day.  It really helps.  

When I was back in NY I burned pallet wood all one winter from a pallet recycling center.  It was dry and did not last long but burned hot.

Yes the bills are going to rise.
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 12:06:58 PM »
Wish we had natural gas.  We burn furl oil at 2.83 a gallon.  Last fillup was $837.00.  Right now the temp is -18 in my front yard, expecting -40 tonight.  Temp has been bouncing between 0 and -40 for the last four weeks.  This will last or get colder till the first of March.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 01:11:26 PM »
You boys are stronger than I.
Hope the cold burns off so that you will not have to give your money to the utilities. That said, you need to stay warm.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline swiftman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 02:54:18 PM »
I bought 3.7 gallons of K-1 in Terre Haute Ind . last week and it was $13.00 I'll let you do the math. Don't know if it is worth it or not.

Offline fltcrkhilbily

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 02:54:54 PM »
I burn wood only no gas, kerosene or anything else. Got a Warm Morning stove with a great big fire box.  Almost always have my 5 cords cut by fall archery season. Its 26D outside and 74D inside.  Wearin' shorts and a tshirt and a glock 17 in a shoulder rig. Reckon its 'bout time for a big bowl of ice cream.
Don't need no gas for heatin', just gas for my ol' Ford.

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 03:07:24 PM »
Always be sure to burn pure K-1 Kerosene and don't ever let anyone talk you into using diesel fuel. You may not think they smoke but next spring take a wet white rag and rub across your ceiling or upper wall. Almost gaurantee it will come off black. Don't let fuel get contaminated with water or gasolene. After you have been around them a few days you may not smell it but if company comes they can smell it. If your house is really airtight crack open a window for ventilation. Invest in a battery operated kerosene pump as it makes refilling a breeze, if you use a funnel it will block the refill hole and you can't tell how full it is getting. BE CAREFULL AND DON'T LEAVE ONE UNATTENDED. Also when you refill your cans or jugs be sure to smell them to be sure they haven't accidentaly put gas in the kerosene tank. Don't take these things for granted because they can kill you or your loved ones or burn your house down. BE CAREFULL! :D
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline savageT

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 04:04:03 PM »
Nightrain52,
Good advice, and I will be sure to pass this on to my son-in-law.  He has a hand powered siphon pump for refilling, plus a bottle of K-1 preservative which contains methyl alcohol to absorb any water.

The odor issue is worth noting, but since he has a wood burning fireplace that on occasion smokes, his home does show signs on the walls and ceiling.
Side issue........Has anyone used a product called the "Vacu-Stack" chimney cap?  He's installed another length of dbl. wall stack and it clears the peak of the house, but when the wind blows from a certain direction, he gets smoke rolling out of the fireplace.  We're hoping the VacuStack will cut down on this problem???
Jim

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2005, 10:26:17 AM »
I bought 3.7 gallons of K-1 in Terre Haute Ind . last week and it was $13.00 I'll let you do the math. Don't know if it is worth it or not.

Is about the same here. I remember when I could used to get 5gal for $7.20
My three heaters have been idle for two years now. Went with the wall mount Ventless natural gas heaters. They are very efficient but you have to allow for circulation which means you dont put one in the bathroom or a bedroom.

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2005, 02:18:28 PM »
It's been about 30 years since I used kerosene heaters and they MAY have improved, but I remember that there was always a "WARNING" involved with using ANY heating source that involved "combustion".

The "WARNING" concerned the "results" of "burning" fossil fuels in that such fuels produced (among other things) CARBON MONOXIDE... an odorless, colorless and VERY DEADLY gas.

I haven't seen any mention of "venting" these kerosene heaters you're intending to use.  Of course, quite a bit of the heat produced by burning the fuel goes out the vent (aka "chimney").

Like I said, they MAY have improved these types of heaters... BUT have they eliminated the carbon monoxide those heaters produce?

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2005, 06:29:21 PM »
Invest in a couple of CO detecters they may save your life. I like wood heat myself. Our house is all electric and electric heat sucks. You can have it set on 80 and it still seems cold in the house and the cost was crazy. We have a wood stove and it heats the house up nice. The temp today has not been above 17 degrees and it is toasty warm inside. We have a guy come out every fall to clean the chimney so we dont end up with a chimney fire. All in all it is pretty cheap to heat all winter. A $250.00 chain saw that has paid for it's self 20x over and a couple gallons of gas cuts enough wood to last all winter :grin:

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
Cost of K-1
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2005, 01:14:32 AM »
I must be a old F---, I can remember, when kerosine was a
 nickel a gal.  and gasoline was 20 cents a gal. Marv.

Offline akpls

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 05:44:14 AM »
I use a KeroSun heater in my garage.  At $25 a 5 gallon can it is used sparingly.  I've seen it as high as $34 a can.     :(

Offline akpls

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 05:50:53 AM »
Quote from: savageT
..... but when the wind blows from a certain direction, he gets smoke rolling out of the fireplace.  We're hoping the VacuStack will cut down on this problem???
Jim
I've never hear of a "VacuStack", but if you open a window a small bit you should get a good draft started up the chimney.  Once you get a good draft going the window can be shut.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 12:26:38 PM »
My buddy has one of these in his basement game room.  He says he leaves the cellar door open and is able to heat his entire house with it(approx. 1200 sq/ft on  the main floor) for around $200 for the whole season.

http://www.medfordfuel.com/Monitor_Kerosene_Heater.htm
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC