Author Topic: White House: Deficit Will Hit Record $427B  (Read 783 times)

Offline Dali Llama

• Trade Count: (0)
White House: Deficit Will Hit Record $427B
« on: January 27, 2005, 02:59:13 AM »
White House Projects Federal Deficit Will Hit Record $427 Billion, Driven by Afghan, Iraq Wars

The Associated Press

Jan. 26, 2005 - The White House says its drive to halve federal deficits by 2009 remains on track, though it projects that the cost of wars in Iraq and Afghanistan will help drive this year's shortfall to a record $427 billion.

The figure, provided by a senior Bush administration official who briefed reporters on condition of anonymity, was among a flood of numbers released Tuesday that underscored a gloomy budget picture.

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office said projected deficits for the decade ending in 2014 had grown $503 billion worse than it calculated in September, excluding war costs. The deterioration was chiefly due to tax cuts and hurricane aid enacted since then.

The congressional analysts projected that this year's deficit would hit $368 billion, excluding war expenses, and about $400 billion with them.

The highest deficit ever was last year's $412 billion. The administration official said the White House's 2005 projection of $427 billion showed progress because it was less than last year's gap when compared with the size of the growing U.S. economy a key measure of the deficit's potency.

"By working with Congress to exercise responsible spending restraint" and cutting taxes to spark economic growth, "we've got a plan to cut the deficit in half over the next five years," White House spokesman Scott McClellan said.

The congressional analysts said deficits over the decade ending in 2015 would total $855 billion. But because the budget offices' estimating techniques require it to count existing law and omit anything else that estimate was not being taken seriously by many people.

Not included were war spending, the costs of renewing President Bush's expiring tax cuts and keeping the alternative minimum tax from affecting more middle-income Americans.

Including extra interest the government would have to pay, the budget office estimated those items together would add more than $2.9 trillion to projected deficits.

Combined, that would keep projected deficits over the next 10 years above $330 billion each year and growing steadily in the decade's latter half, budget office figures showed.

Those numbers exclude Bush's still-evolving plan to revamp Social Security, which analysts have estimated could cost another $1 trillion to $2 trillion over the next decade.

"No one should be lulled into thinking that this is a good news report," the Concord Coalition, a bipartisan group that favors balanced budgets, said of the congressional figures. "To the contrary, it is further confirmation that fiscal policy is on a dangerous path."

On Capitol Hill, Republicans said the figures showed the need to clamp down on spending.

"We must get serious about putting our financial house in order, beginning with short-term deficit reduction and then long-term control" of expensive federal benefit programs, said Senate Budget Committee Chairman Judd Gregg, R-N.H.

Democrats used the numbers to attack Bush.

"The nations financial woes can be directly attributed to the irresponsible fiscal policies of this administration," said Sen. Kent Conrad of North Dakota, top Democrat on the Senate Budget panel.

Senior administration officials invited reporters to the White House to outline their upcoming request for an additional $80 billion, or slightly more, to help pay this year's war costs.

The latest proposal would bring war spending since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, to about $308 billion, including $25 billion to rebuild Iraq and Afghanistan, according to the Congressional Research Service, which provides reports to lawmakers.

Bush sends his 2006 budget to Congress on Feb. 7. The administration won't request war funds for 2006 until later, the officials said.

The officials said that of the $80 billion, $75 billion would be for the Defense Department, mostly for the Army. They said it would include personnel costs, the start of an effort to add at least 17 combat brigades to the Army and replacing worn out equipment.

The rest of the money would largely be for aid the State Department would give to U.S. allies and for other expenses. Included would be money to help new Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas, to build an embassy in Baghdad at an estimated cost of $1.5 billion, and to aid victims of fighting in Sudan's Darfur province.

The officials did not say whether the request would include aid for Indian Ocean countries staggered by last month's devastating tsunami. One said the United States was spending $5 million daily there, and the administration would seek "very generous assistance."

The United States already has committed $350 million to tsunami recovery efforts.
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline Steelbanger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 03:34:57 AM »
And here am I, worrying about $1.84.9 for home heating fuel.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, NRA Life

Marlin - a hard habit to break.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 04:04:03 AM »
What that report fails to mention is the economic growth spurred by the wars.  All the weapons, uniforms, vehicles, aircraft, food, et., etc., etc. have to be made by someone which means lots of jobs.  You need to look at both sides of the coin.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline magooch

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 04:13:22 AM »
Maybe it's time to get the Iraqis to kick in some help from their oil revenues.  

The Dumbocrats love to use the deficit as a talking point to try to raise taxes, but I hope Dubya sticks to his guns.  The Republicans have got to be as good about cutting spending as they have been about cutting taxes.
Swingem

Offline BamBams

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 05:07:31 AM »
I think the deficit is a GOOD thing.  I mean, think about this for a minute.  You owe yourself a ton of money, and you have all the equipment to print as much of it as you'd like to!  I'm telling ya, this is GREAT!
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 07:18:42 AM »
Quote from: BamBams
I think the deficit is a GOOD thing.  I mean, think about this for a minute.  You owe yourself a ton of money, and you have all the equipment to print as much of it as you'd like to!  I'm telling ya, this is GREAT!

That would only drive down the value of the dollar. If the Fed. just kept printing more money soon you would need a suitcase full of it just to buy a loaf of bread.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 08:30:20 AM »
Quote from: Brett
Quote from: BamBams

That would only drive down the value of the dollar. If the Fed. just kept printing more money soon you would need a suitcase full of it just to buy a loaf of bread.
Brett be correct, remark Dali Llama.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 09:12:55 AM »
Quote from: TM7
So, are they[terrorist] successful?

................TM7
That be self-evident, respond Dali Llama. :(  :cry:  :oops:

Offline BamBams

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 09:37:21 AM »

So what?  Then we can be like Italy and pay $5,000 for a candy bar.  There can be a federal law mandating a cost of living increase for all wage earners. It's just numbers.  I say RUN THAT DEFICIT UP BABY!
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 11:35:09 AM »
I think this is a good indicator you guys need to get your butts out and buy more guns to feed the economy and allow the government to take in more taxes. If we bought enough guns we could easily cover this in short order. I'm doing my part. Brought home two more today.  :lol:

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005, 12:16:59 PM »
Quote from: Graybeard
If we bought enough guns we could easily cover this in short order. I'm doing my part. Brought home two more today.  
What be guns purchased by Graybeard today, ask Dali Llama? :-)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 04:41:49 PM »
What be guns purchased by Graybeard today, ask Dali Llama?

Remington 700 VLS in .243 and Marlin 982 in .22 Magnum reply Graybeard.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2005, 01:12:38 AM »
Quote from: Graybeard
What be guns purchased by Graybeard today, ask Dali Llama?

Remington 700 VLS in .243 and Marlin 982 in .22 Magnum reply Graybeard.
Those be some nice additions to the collection, remark Dali Llama. :-)