Author Topic: Temperature and Ejecting  (Read 441 times)

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Temperature and Ejecting
« on: January 23, 2005, 10:29:43 AM »
I took my new Classic duck hunting this morning and had a lot of fun.  Only had one problem, I had several shells not ejecting.  I actually had to cut a stick and shove it in the barrel to push the shell out.

The temperature was around 14-16 degrees.  Would this cause the ejecting problem?  Please advise as this was only the second time I shot it.

Thanks
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Temperature and Ejecting
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 12:06:05 PM »
Did you give the gun a thorough cleaning inside and out to remove the factory machine oil, grease and metal shavings?  What kind of lubricant are you using?  Some lubricants become thick and sticky when cold. be sure to use a good quality gun oil not WD40 or the like.  Have you tried other brands of ammo and will the gun eject unfired shells?  I have a .410 that refuses to eject Remington Game Loads, fired or unfired.  Everything else it spits out fine.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Temperature and Ejecting
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 12:07:33 PM »
You might try polishing the chamber with tooth paste and a empty shell turned slowly by an electric drill. With that temp if it had to much lub that could slow things up a bit. I've never had this problem but a old guy I used to hunt with had a big nail he used to throw down the barrel of his ancient 16ga Topper.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
Temperature and Ejecting
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 02:28:05 AM »
I keep a 405 gr 45-70 slug in my pocket, just hold the barrel vertical & drop the slug in out comes the shell, works on 28 ga & up
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
Temperature and Ejecting
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 12:22:52 PM »
:lol: That's what I do when I take my Pardner 32" out trap shooting! I have a 45-70 fired shell filled with shot with a 450gr cast bullet on top. Drop  THAT  on a non-ejected 12ga shell, and it pops right out!
I have found that the chambers on my  Pardner bbls  are  somewhat tight. Shells that have been fired in my Browning BPS Trap go in a little stiff.   I make sure that  any shells that I plan to use in that NEF  shotgun are specially sized in my MEC sizer before reloading.
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Temperature and Ejecting
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 02:02:38 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  They should help.
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31