Author Topic: Cutting Barrel to 18 1/2 inches?  (Read 691 times)

Offline Mrserenity

• Trade Count: (0)
Cutting Barrel to 18 1/2 inches?
« on: January 27, 2005, 05:33:41 AM »
Hi I have a H&R Topper Jr 20 gauge single shot shotgun that I use for Trap and for home defense back up.  It has a 22 inch barrel.  I was thinking about ordering a 24 inch barrel for trap. Some people recommend cutting the barrel to 18 1/2 inches for home defense.  I guess this takes away the choke and makes the shot spread more significantly.  What is the advantages and disadvantages of cutting the 22 inch modied choke barrel to a 18 1/2 inch no choke barrel for home defense? And do you recommend this? Thanks.

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 08:03:02 AM »
The Topper with a 22 inch barrel is already pretty easy to maneuver inside a home for protection. I don't think cutting it to 18 1/2" is going to do that much to improve things. And I don't think it will open up the shot pattern to any extent either. People tend to think that a shotgun throws out a wide pattern and they just have to point it in the general direction of the threat and fire. When you are talking about inside a home the target will be very close and even a short barrel will still pattern basically in one big hole. So you have to aim. Besides, a 22" topper is shorter that a 18 1/2" pump or auto shotgun. I wouldn't change a thing. :grin:

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 08:09:22 AM »
I'm with gwhilikerz. Don't think cutting the barrel down will improve it's worth as a home defence gun and is likely to wreck it for anything else.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 11:05:22 AM »
I agree, there's one for sale here locally used that someone did that to, and it hasn't moved for 2 months at $50.

I don't see any advantage to it.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 03:15:10 PM »
I have to agree with everyone else. It is not going to significantly change the pattern at home defense ranges. I did some training with the FBI a million years ago and they had 14" barreled guns and I was shooting a 20" barreled gun. On the standard military style man sized silouette targets at 10 yards and less you could not see any difference in the patterns. I have also heard varying interpretations of the law on where a barrel starts on a break action gun. Some say its at the end of the chamber and some say it's measured from the breech face. Either way you don't need to cut it.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline 6Shooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 02:49:31 AM »
I wouldn't do it. It would be good for nothing after you did it and you'll lose velosity with the shorter barrel. I believe the pump action shotgun would be better than a single shot for defense. Afew years ago I bought a Remington 870 youth model 20gauge. It is a shorter barrel and stock and is very handy in tight places. It cost around $210.00.