Author Topic: ADVICE WANTED .243 vs .25-06  (Read 1787 times)

Offline nico243

• Trade Count: (0)
ADVICE WANTED .243 vs .25-06
« on: January 04, 2005, 12:58:52 PM »
I am in the UK.
I have been using for ages, .243 & .308 for both stalking and foxing, but have recently sold my rather aged SAVAGE 110 .243, I was kind of toying with the idea of possibly replacing it with a .25-06 on the recommendation of a couple of knowledgable friends.
I currently have an empty slot on ticket for another .243 and mod, and I must confess to knowing very little of the shooting/handling characteristics and ease of reloading of .25-06 vs .243 (reloading is not something I currently do, but I plan to start in the near future)
So what is the general opinion of these two cartidges and their suitability for the job-of-work I intend putting them to?
Whichever calibre/cartridge is finally decided upon, it will be used on most British deer, Muntjac, Roe, Sika, Fallow and of course the ever growing population of local foxes.
Any opinions or comments greatly apreciated :?

Offline jhm

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 04:06:14 AM »
Nico :  Both of the cartridges are easy to reload for the only plus on the 25-06 for reloading is you can use surplus 30-06 brass to make the 25-06 but that is out weighed by the extra powder used in it, my choice would be the 25-06 as I have had more rifles in that cal. if you have been doing a great job with the 243 and feel comfortable with it, nothing wrong there either,  :D    JIM

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 04:22:07 AM »
While not being familar with the animals you mention there in the UK, I think you will find that if you load your own, there really isn't much if anything that the 243 will do that the 25/06 can't.  However there is a bit more functionality that the 25/06 will have over the 243.

Availability of components may be an issue for you, I am not sure which one you would find easier where you are located.

Offline nico243

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 04:58:11 AM »
Here are a couple of links for any of you guys that may be interested in the six different British deer species
http://www.deer-uk.com/
http://www.bds.org.uk
cheers guys :-)

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 05:29:44 AM »
In the right hands, a .243 will kill deer just a dead as a .25-06 or a .270 or whatever. Like some others have said, whatever you're used to and comfortable with. What kind of a .243 are you looking at? And I've read about the dik-dik...is that in England or was it just Prince William from England who went somewhere to hunt it? :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline nico243

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 05:45:19 AM »
Although I stand to be corrected, I think the Dik-dik is a small African antelope of some sort?
Over here in England we have six species of deer, in order of size and approximate weights, smallest first:-
Chinese water deer - 8-14kg
Muntjac deer - 11-16kg
Roe deer - 25-30kg
Japanese Sika deer - 30-70kg
Fallow deer - 45-70kg
Red deer - 60-190kg

have a look at these links below

http://www.deer-uk.com/
http://www.bds.org.uk

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 05:46:54 AM »
Yea, that's it. I read of William going to Africa to spear the dik-dik. I'm sure the English animal-rights activists weren't very happy, but oh well  :) .  :D
JP

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline ufgators68

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 07:37:59 AM »
Ok, I want to go to the UK and hunt red deer. Those things look awesome!!
Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but it takes only 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack them  upside the head.

Offline NYH1

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 07:57:24 AM »
nico243, I was under the impression that you weren't allowed have firearms of any kind in the UK.  :shock: Obviously that must be a myth right?
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline nico243

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 08:37:36 AM »
we are allowed firearms here, but we have some of the STRICTEST GUN CONTROL LAWS in the modern world (and on a plus side very low gun crime)
We are not allowed ANY handguns at all (unless they have a minimum overall length of 24" :shock: )
We are not allowed any self loading rifles unless they are .22lr or .22 mag, absolutely no self-loading centrefires.
every fire-arm owner has a police checked certificate and is only allowed to own 1 of each firearm on the certificate unless stated other-wise (ie. 1x.22lr for vermin & 1x.22lr for target)
For each and every firearm wanted "A GOOD REASON" (ie. vermin control, deer-stalking, target etc.) must be shown before permission for that calibre weapon is granted.
As for ammunition, there is a specific ammount of ammunition you may purchase at anyone time, and expanding/soft-point ammunition may only be used in connection with vermin control/deer stalking etc.

we even have a power restriction on air-rifles/pistols anything over "6 ft.lbs" for an air-pistol or "12ft.lbs" for an air-rifle

shotguns require a different "shotgun certificate" (although this is less restrictive than a "firearm certificate") but if a shotgun has a barrel length of less than 24" or can hold more than 3 shots (2x1 pump/ 2x1 semi-auto) then they stop being a shotgun and require entry onto a firearm certificate :roll:

for anybody that may be interested below is a link to "THE OFFICIAL" :roll:  British government "HOME OFFICE FIREARMS GUIDANCE TO THE POLICE" it is in PDF format but does make for interesting reading (especially p.82 which is almost laughable :roll: )
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/docs/policeguide.pdf

Offline Val

• A Real Regular
.243 0r 25-06
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2005, 04:03:44 AM »
When trying to decide between a 243 or a 25-06, the advice I was given was: If you are going to primarily use it for deer, go with the 25-06. If you are going to primarily use it for smaller game buy a .243. I followed the advice and purchased a 25-06 which I like very much. I also bought a .243 a bit later and I like it very much.
Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.

Offline alsatian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 06:19:49 AM »
Personally, I prefer to use the weakest cartridge which is suited to the maximum size game I will hunt with a given rifle.  Assuming your red deer is the maximum size game you will hunt and that this corresponds roughly in size to our mule deer, I would recommend the .243.  The .25-06 has a bit more power, but I don't think you need it for an animal whose maximum weight is 200 kg (approximately 440 lbs, right?).

I like both these cartridges and have a rifle in both.  The .25-06 really puts whitetail deer down quickly, but the .243 kills whitetail deer also.  I have used both successfully on pronghorn antelope, also, which are somewhat smaller than our whitetail deer.

One consideration you might use in your decision process is how commonly available the commerical ammunition is in your hunting areas.  The .243 ammo is perhaps slightly more available than .25-06 here in the states, but maybe in UK there is a marked difference of availability.  Even if you hand load, this matter is still significant if you find, when you arrive at your hunting ground, that you have left your hand loaded ammunition on the coffee table!

Offline alsatian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2005, 06:32:32 AM »
Nico:

I have replied to your main querry already.  You suggested a cause and effect relationship between your low crime rate and your gun control environment.  Can you share any crime statistics from before establishment of your gun control measures and after gun control measures, which might support a cause effect relationship?  I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, just curious if you can provide us with pointers to data on this.  It is commonly thought among gun owners here in the states, myself included, that increased restrictions on gun ownership typically does not deter criminals from using guns in committing crime but only punishes and constrains law abiding citizens.  Just as I can buy heroin and crack-cocaine if I want, though this is against the law, I can buy outlawed weapons and use them to rob or kill others.  If the experience in UK shows a distinct reduction in crime after the enactment of your strict gun control measures, this would be interesting objective information that I would like to see.

Offline nico243

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2005, 02:23:39 PM »
Quote from: alsatian
Nico:
 If the experience in UK shows a distinct reduction in crime after the enactment of your strict gun control measures, this would be interesting objective information that I would like to see.

Alsatian, my friend I would like nothing better than to justify such stringent firearms laws such as we have here in the UK, but, I along with my own current Government (and that is a contradiction in terms :evil: ) cannot show any evidence (nor do I want to, for fear of yet more restrictions :roll: ) I was just stating that our guncrime figures are reasonably low, although to be honest I can't see how restrictions on law-abiding gun owners alter the criminal use of firearms, in fact it has been proved (and I don't have exact figures) that of all guncrimes commited in the UK, only about 12% are commited with legally held weapons

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2005, 02:39:12 PM »
Speaking of crime rates, I don't think the US has the highest rate, even tho the ghetto and the mafia is in order here. Just thinking out loud.  :D
JP

Offline nico243

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2005, 12:53:42 AM »
Well to be honest the UK figures don't reflect a TRUE picture of firearm related crime anyway, as far as our authorities are concerned a firearm crime is a firearm crime, armed robbery is in the same group of statistics as a child smashing a neighbours window with a BB gun
So in truth our figures ought-to-be even lower than as reported :evil:

Offline IowaBuckHunter

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2005, 06:29:12 PM »
both excellent choices- I am a firm believer in the .25 cals.  Although, the 243 might be a smarter choice because it is cheaper and MUCH easier to find.
Accuracy doesn't come from the arrow, it comes from the Indian!

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2005, 03:33:42 AM »
If you are going to hunt Red Deer with your rifle I'd get the 25-06. Both are probably on the light side if I'm correct about the size of Red Deer. Are they the same size as our elk? If so, a 25-06 would be the better choice with either Nosler partition or other premium bullets of 120gr weight.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2005, 03:26:50 PM »
Although both are good the .25-06 is better suited for larger game.  Besides everyone needs the "Crown Prince" of the Quarter Bores in their collection.  Lawdo
  :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline xs pro-comp

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2005, 10:29:36 AM »
What would your reasoning be for owning a .50 BMG bolt gun? Large varmints? :lol:

Offline Idaho_Hick

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2005, 12:40:05 PM »
I know this wasn't an option, but since you already have a .308 and that is ample power for the red deer, why not get a nice, light recoiling, very cheap to load for and very accurate .22 centerfire?  I love my .222 and thought I had read that they were fairly popular in Europe.  A .222 will easily kill foxes and many of your smaller deer, while making less noise and fuss than a .243.  Once you start loading, it will be much cheaper to feed as well, and if pelt damage is an issue, this also would be easier dealt with by the .222.  Have you already considered and rejected such an idea?