Author Topic: easy food plots  (Read 1104 times)

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
easy food plots
« on: January 12, 2005, 10:36:31 AM »
i want to plant 1/2 acre for fall hunting. does any one have any experiance w/ no-plow easy plot or any other "no till products"?? i'd like any info!!!!! :P
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline BnSC

• Trade Count: (0)
food
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 10:48:05 AM »
1st open your shooting lane
2nd place your stand
3rd dump @ least 100# of cob corn in the shooting lane.
4th wait at least 1 week, preferrably 2, then hunt
 :-D   :-D   :-D

Just having a little fun.. we bait and use food plots..
We've tried to the no-plow stuff a couple of times.. You still have to do some prep work for it to really work like it should.  Leaves and such will hinder its growth. Also, if you plant it in the woods, make sure it can get sunlight.

We stopped using it and just drag the 4whlr and small disc in and disc in left over soybeans/ peas before the frost, and later, wheat/rye for winter use.  All are pretty cheap after planting time.  We suppliment the stands w/ corn too if needed..

Hopefully, others can give a better report than mine.. Maybe I'll learn if we're doing something wrong too!!

Offline jhm

easy food plots
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 01:16:07 PM »
Buckslayes :  We haqve never had any luck with the (no till) type of foodplots and we plant several foodplots a year to keep thew deer happy and staying in the area, I usually plant the regular garden type of plants for them and it is alot cheeper than the high dollar stuff you see on the TV corn, beans, pees, and okra planted in the latter part of august will have you with plant growth for the deer season, I know thats not the answer you were looking for but there isnt any shortcuts to food plots, it is a ongoing system for the game. :D    JIM

Offline riddleofsteel

• Contributor
easy food plots
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 12:36:51 PM »
I usually disk up small polt areas or work them up with a roto tiller. Broadcast some 10-10-10 fertilizer and rake it in. Then I go to the FCX or local famer's supply and purchase a couple of 100 lb bags of Wild Bird Seed. This mix is made up of Millet, Milo, Nigerian Thistle, Rape, Sun Flowers, ect. and about 75% of it will germinate and grow, cheaper than certified seeds. Then I purchase enough certified soybeans, sunflowers, red and white clover, and Sorghum/Sudan grass hybred to makke up about 100 lbs of mix. I mix all of this together in a plastic drop cloth in the back of my 4WD pickup and broadcast it with a hand crank, lawn type seeder.
Then set your disk to about 3 inches deep and cut in the broadcasted seeds. This mix comes up thick and is resistant to drought. In wetter seasons it make a mixed thick wildlife patch that attracts birds, small game and deer.
We also have some fire access/logging roads that I drag, disk and reshape the water drainage on every couple of years. Rather than bare dirt or gravel we sew them in white clover and fescue. They get mowed about once a month during the summer until archery season opens. In the wide turns I sew a patch of imperial clover mixed with mixed greens like collards, turnips, creasy-greens, and kale. Fertilize these greens patches well. Deer and turkey are drawn to thier deep rooted growths of succulent leaves, plus your can pick several batches for yourself. The greens also grow all winter.
...for him there was always the discipline of steel.

They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night.
Song of Solomon 3:8

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
easy food plots
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 01:06:47 PM »
I built a cage around some collard greens and Kale once on a WMA and they self seeded a good feed plot till the hogs removed the cage and ate the seed generators. I did another using radishes and wild onions and it still produces after 3 years but I keep the cage well wired down and anchored.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline rockbilly

easy food plots
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 08:12:11 AM »
:cry: Sounds great rickt300, and may work great in most places, but us folks out here in dry West Texas have a hard time growing crops much less food plots for game.  If you have the moisture  just about any garden crop will work.  Its always best to mix, say, turnips, okra, corn, peas, beans, etc.  But when you don't have the moisture, the feed and mineral blocks works best.  Or if you can, use a corn feeded.

Offline rickt300

easy food plots
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 01:58:38 PM »
I notice you include okra, is it really a draw for deer? This is one plant that can take some dry heat and so can collard greens.  It is true east of Fort Worth we get enough rain to build self seeder plots. Some herbs like sage will grow just about anywhere if given a bit of help to get started.

Offline jhm

easy food plots
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 01:37:39 PM »
Yes the okra was a great food plot crop, the deer eat the pods as they were being put on the plants, we were only able to get one mess of the okra from a 1 1/2 acre food plot by my bow stand, which also had corn, beans, and peas planted, like I said go to the farm supply after the spring gardens have been planted (they buy in bulk) and buy their excess seed as they will replenish in the spring with fresh seed and you get the deal. :D    JIM

Offline riddleofsteel

• Contributor
easy food plots
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 02:52:01 PM »
Sorghum/Sudan grass hybred is VERY drought resistant. I planted wildlife patches one year and we got near ZERO rain for over four months. Everthing else burned up but the Sorghum/Sudan grass still got about three feet tall with sweet grain heads on it. I killed a nice buck opening day of bow season that year at a patch near a spring hole that still had water.
...for him there was always the discipline of steel.

They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night.
Song of Solomon 3:8

Offline rickt300

easy food plots
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 04:24:40 AM »
Some new ideas on easy plants. I am thinking about trying some winter wheat too.

Offline thayerqdma

easy plot
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 12:29:18 PM »
Frost seed a mix of ladino, red clover and chicory.  Fertilize with 8-24-24, lime according to soil test and away you go.  Mow when grasses and weeds compete...note...mow before the weed and grasses seed out.  

If you can tear up the soil a little in August try a cereal grain mix.   Winter wheat, bob oats, and rye grain.  That will surely draw them in....fertilize with a triple 13, and lime according to the soil test.

I have had good luck with some of the brassica mixes also.  They will provide a later draw for the deer.