Author Topic: lead shot  (Read 1004 times)

Offline wswisconsin

• Trade Count: (0)
lead shot
« on: February 03, 2003, 05:16:45 PM »
What are the good points and bad points of using lead shot for cast bullets; specifically for a 535 grain 45-70 BP cartridge.

Offline Awf Hand

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
lead shot
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2003, 07:31:20 AM »
The lead used in lead shot varies in amount of inorganic arsenic depending on the size of the shot.  Contact Metallico Granite City and ask for a materials sheet on their shot.  At 25 cents a pound it's worth messing with, but only cast in a well ventilated area, as the arsenic (used to reduce surface tension of the lead when making drop shot) is bad stuff.  There is very little tin, so the addition of some 50/50 bar solder will help your moulds fill out a lot better.  I casted some 225gr (pure lead) bullets and found that with the shot lead my bullets were about 216 grain and were too hard to mark with a thumbnail.  My accuracy was tolerable, but leading ahead of the chamber was too much for me.

Where in WI are you?
Just my Awf Hand comments...

Offline wswisconsin

lead shot
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2003, 03:05:29 PM »
Appleton

Offline Cheyenne Ranger

lead shot
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2003, 08:29:00 AM »
Was in your town once to pick up a Pierce firetruck.  Fine town and great pumper.
CR
SASS 48747L
RO II
Thunder River Renegades
SBSS #1170--OGB

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Awf hand thanks for warning
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2003, 09:03:57 PM »
I had no idea of the arsenic threat from shot.  I have several coffee cans of mixed sized shot I was given. I figured it would make good bullets as it was high antimony trap, skeet and some hunting shot.  Glad I have an exhaust fan in my shop.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Hcliff

• Avid Poster
lead shot
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2003, 06:18:38 AM »
WSwisconsin

Are there any good little gun shops down in Appleton?  I am up in Green Bay and have found a neat gunsmith/shop in Denmark.   I am always looking for another place to stop at.  When I get to Oshkosh it is always an experinece to stop in at Jon's Sport Shop.

Hcliff

Offline Joe Kool

• Avid Poster
lead shot
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2003, 07:10:01 AM »
I read somewhere, I think in one of the Lyman bullet manuals, not to exceed 10% shot in an alloy. Aside from the danger of arsenic, the arsenic can cause stress cracks to form in the bullets cast from the alloy. This can unbalance the bullets, and the bullets could possibly come apart in flight or shatter on impact.   8)