Author Topic: Most light "seeability/visual" view  (Read 444 times)

Offline Gardener

• Trade Count: (0)
Most light "seeability/visual" view
« on: February 05, 2005, 12:13:00 PM »
:D OK, you guys, you've got me wondering.

i'm asking for an opinion, nothing else.

at 30minutes past sundown, which scope among the the most popular, Zeiss, Bushnell, Nikon, Leupold, and any other, has the most visibilty??

i'm looking to re-scope my 30-30 marlin 336 and i want to put on it the scope that has the best light transmission (yeah, right at legal dark).

which scope model?  please name it, price ain't the issue in a roaring economy.

:D

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Most light "seeability/visual" vi
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 03:11:43 PM »
Assuming price is no issue the super expensive European 30MM tube scopes are likely to show you the most image for the longest time.

BUT there is more to it than that. You also have to be able to see the cross hairs. Again the European scopes take this into consideration. The higher the magnification the larger the cross hairs. Just the opposite of normal rationale. BUT They hunt as long as they can see to do so, thus their scopes are made to do just that. Meaning all night long.

That's not legal here in the US except for TX and in some other areas on predators. In those instances you can usually use artificial lighting so I don't consider the European scopes to be proper here.

A good lighted DOT not RETICLE is the best choice if you have no artificial light for really late hunting as long as the optics are up to the job. The Mueller dots are as good as it gets in that respect. I honestly do not know on the optics tho. I've just not tested enough of them to answer to that.

When faced with a TX hog hunt at night on a moonless time period a few years ago I equipped my wife's rifle with a Bushnell Elite 4200 1.5-6 scope. If there is enough light to know the game is there you'll be able to shoot with this one. If it had a lighted dot like the Mueller it would really be as good as it gets.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
Most light "seeability/visual" vi
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 05:14:41 PM »
I'd get a scope with an illuminated reticle. I can't say which one is best.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein