Author Topic: Slug Barrel Quiestion  (Read 554 times)

Offline tennesseejeff

• Trade Count: (0)
Slug Barrel Quiestion
« on: February 03, 2005, 08:09:59 AM »
Hi all,
I have a 20 gauge Pardner that I'm thinking about buying the Tracker II slug barrel for. This might be a dumb question, but once I get the gun back, will I be able to switch from the slug barell to the shotgun barrel and back again by myself? The website says to remove the barrel and send the gun to the factory so that the new barrel can be fitted to the receiver, but once that's done, it's done right?
Also, what shoots well in this gun, regular slug, sabot?
Thanks,
Jeff

Offline turkeyhunter

• Avid Poster
Slug Barrel Quiestion
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 08:47:25 AM »
You can switch back and forth between barrels in about 30 seconds.  Remove the screw from the forearm and remove the forearm.  Open the action and the barrel will lift off of the lug.  Insert the new barrel on the lug and close the action.  Re-install the forearm.  Simple to do.
Colossians 1:18b:  "That in all things He might have the pre-eminence"

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Slug Barrel Quiestion
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 10:57:35 AM »
TJ...H&R only fits the barrel to the receiver and does not modify the receiver in any way...You should have no problem switching back and forth between barrels.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Slug Barrel Quiestion
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 04:58:43 PM »
The tracker 2 barrel is designed to shoot sabot slugs. You can shoot the cheap ones but they wont work as well and they will leave a lot of lead in the barrel that is tuff to clean out. Excessive leading will kill your accuracy. If you going to get this barrel use ammo that will take advantage of it. You can shoot cheap slugs at their effective range out of the barrel you already have. I do both. The tracker 2 gives you a lot more range and accuracy and allows you to you slugs with great killing power at $2.00+ a shot.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline tennesseejeff

Slug Barrel Quiestion
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 07:09:00 AM »
Thanks for the information folks. Now I have to decide whether to get a new barell or just go ahead and get the whole gun. Wally world has them for 126.00 on their web site. I figure the barell will be about 85.00 with shipping and "fitting" fee.
Thanks again,
Jeff

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Slug Barrel Quiestion
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 07:12:34 AM »
Just but the entire gun...It's easier than changing the barrels back and forth and you will not be without your gun for 6 weeks or so...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Slug Barrel Quiestion
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 10:36:06 AM »
I would tend to aggree with WNY. keeeping in mind transfer fees and shipping you can sometimes find a deal on www.gunbroker.com. I got a Topper Deluxe Slug  12 ga that was ported and was in excellent shape for $82.00+$12.00 shipping+$20.00 transfer fee. So for $114.00 I got a great gun and spent $20.00 with a great local gun shop. The porting job alone would be $100.00.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun