Author Topic: H&R/NEF shotgun buffs....got a question  (Read 790 times)

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
H&R/NEF shotgun buffs....got a question
« on: February 02, 2005, 02:02:17 AM »
Was in a pawn shop yesterday and found a 10 gauge that has me intrigued a bit. It was apparently a 28" barrel.....full choked fixed....."NE" receiver.....standard wood with the extended foreend and probably has the steel bar in the buttstock from the way it felt. This one goes back a little further than my knowledge of these guns. I'm guessing it came from the factory that way. Figured it would make a heck of a turkey gun.......he wanted $199 for it tho and it really wasn't in that great of shape. Some rust on the barrel and what may have even been some pitting inside the barrel. I'm gonna probably pass on it but it sure did cause my curiosity to rise.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 07:08:35 AM »
:shock: , Ugh!!!, Lik2hunt, $199.00 is to much money by about twice!!! Buy a new one if you want to spend that much money!!!....<><....  :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 07:50:57 AM »
Shoot man, take away the '1' in front of that $199 and he'ld still be asking too much for a rusty old NEF single.  They are not that scarce and in the condition you describe I would say it's worth around $75 tops.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 10:36:37 AM »
I'll tell you how I found the one I just bought. Just go to gunbroker and do a search for the model #. I was looking for a long barreled model 176 and all I did was put in "176" in their search block. I've been watching these for a while and they usually go for 150.00 to 200.00 in good shape. I've seen the 28" barreled versions go for 100.00. You can get a new turkey model at walmart for around 180.00.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 04:47:10 PM »
Yea I know he's WAY too high on this one for sure. I was just curious about the 28" full choked barrel. How long since they made these?

Markus.......I know where there's a listing for a brand new H&R "Long Tom" 32" barreled 12 with the NWTF emblem in the stock. If you're interested PM me and I'll give ya the site.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 05:22:58 PM »
I think they still make it. SB2-MAG. I'll pass on that 32" long tom since I got the 36" 176.I still haven't shot it yet. Looks like it'll be next year before I get a chance to hunt with it.

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 05:48:41 PM »
Heck, I paid $150 for my 10GA Pardner Turkey gun about three years ago...$199 is a crock...The pawn must have no idea what the gun is actually worth...Or maybe they do and they are hoping to snooker somebody into buying that rusting POS.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 01:48:55 PM »
Some of the books have them valued at $300.00 in mint condition. There are a few on WWW.gunsamerica.com for 299.00.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 02:40:22 PM »
Quote from: Markus
Some of the books have them valued at $300.00 in mint condition. There are a few on WWW.gunsamerica.com for 299.00.

:shock:
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 07:21:28 AM »
:shock:
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense