Author Topic: Bullet's  (Read 882 times)

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
Bullet's
« on: February 23, 2005, 07:02:41 AM »
Can someone tell me what the need is for the super premium bullet's on deer? Reading what most people suggest in the way of bullet's lead's me to suspect that the deer of 30 yrs ago have turned into mutant ninja deer.
What has changed?

I read one guy answer that he like's then in case something doesn't go as planned. What could not go as planned? The shooter is the one that decide's when to pull the trigger.

And how much penetration is really needed on a deer? I've found that seldom are bullet's recovered from a deer shot at reasonable range's. I have talked to a couple long range shooter's but at the range they're shooting, the problem is not performance, it's lack of! The bullet's truly suitable for ultra long range need to be long and therefor heavy by nature. Any expansion at all would amaze me.

The only super premium bullet's i've ever tried were Nosler 175gr 7mm bullet's out of a 7mm rem mag. I found that those old bullet's sheared off at the partition leaving a solid plug .284" in dia. I also found no difference in their killing power over the old 160gr Speer hot core. Other than they're different, which I do understand, what's the deal?

By the way, the only bullet's I ever recovered were from wet newspaper designed to catch the bullet's.
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
Bullet's
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 07:40:12 AM »
well this should get interesting. but i'm on your sid edeer are not that hard to kill . btu maybe its how you hunt i would only think you would need 3 feet of penetration if your shooting them up the butt if you not then you really only need about 12"

(get down here it comes) :bye:
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline lefty o

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Bullet's
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 07:43:52 AM »
premium bullets are not needed for deer. any decently constructed bullet will kill just fine.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Bullet's
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 09:03:23 AM »
I get better accuracy from the Barnes X bullets in my guns. I use them on all game I hunt. deer, bear, caribou and what ever else I may hunt. You do not have to use premium bullet's on deer, but you can if you want.  I guess it is down to personal preference.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Bullet's
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 09:06:43 AM »
Don; I've been reloading since 1974 and the only premium bullets I've ever loaded for myself were some that someone had given me!

My most common choice of bullets are as follows:
1. Hornady spire point
2. Remington spire point
3. Winchester spire point

I agree with some of the previous posts!
It doesn't take much to kill a deer!
A bullet into (or through) the ribcage will work!

There may be a place for premium bullets, but I just don't have much use for them!

My 2cents!
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Bullet's
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 10:28:45 AM »
If you are one of those who just has to use a super fast magnum and especially if you chose light for caliber bullets for still more speed them super premium bullets are really needed. Otherwise they aren't. If you're wise enough to realize standard rounds are plenty for deer then there is never a need for more than a standard bullet either.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
Bullet's
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 11:47:05 AM »
Im tweaking a load for my 06 using heavier bullets (165 grain Nosler Partitions.)  Reason?  Im cheap........Yup, your asking "WHAT!?!?"  Well, by going with 165 grain partitions Ive now got a "do all" for New Hampshire.  This means I do not have to make seperate loads for deer, then Moose, then Black bear.  Overkill?  Yeah, maybe.  But I gess it is all in the eye of the beholder.  Ill just say this....shoot whats ya likes.  If you want to spend the dough for pricier bullets then thats fine.  But if the Ole Remmy Corelokts do you fine then have at it.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline JPSaxMan

Bullet's
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 01:47:28 PM »
Well, I have always used Remington Core-Lokt's on deer up until this year. I got one doe with a ballistic tip. I was impressed. Dropped her right in her tracks. I was using a .243 (suitable for deer, or so some think) and the shot was at 20 yards. Dropped. That was nice to see.  :) . So I might start using the Ballistic Tips...if you consider that a 'premium' bullet.  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Bullet's
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 02:07:47 PM »
everyone is right you don't need them fancy bullets to kill a deer.

I even saw a buddy kill a deer with out a bullet at 50 yards :grin:
we ( bunch of firefighters) where walking in between several bunkers checking them when a herd of deer came running wards us full speed down the hill. my buddy steeped out from the rest of us and yelled BANG!! the deer drooped at the sound and went head over butt all the way to the bottom of the hill when we go to him he was dead as a door nail.

try explaining to the securty guard how we killed a deer with out any weapons.

Offline while99

• Contributor
Bullet's
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 06:17:16 PM »
In some states the deer and elk seasons run concurrently.  I like to use 250 grain Nosler partitions in my .338 Win Mag for elk and consequently, that's what I use for deer.  It's not necessary but it works.

Offline longwalker

• Contributor
Bullets
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2005, 01:18:46 PM »
Personally, I think the whole super premium bullet thing came about due to high velocities. This most likely came to be a problem when people started to use 22-250's and 220 swifts as their deer rifles. You need a bullet that will hold together for that application. From there the marketing departments made sure we knew they existed and promoted the benefits of paying them more money for a bullet that kills deer. This is even more important to the guys that hunt one week a year. It gives them something to talk about when they come into camp. Besides where is the best stand?

Longwalker

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Bullet's
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2005, 04:19:26 PM »
I guess I have been lucky as the worst bullet performance I ever had was using a 6MM Remington and 100 grain Nosler Partitions.  But a couple of bullets out of one box may not mean much and the deer were recovered. I also used bullets out of the same box to lose a big feral hog. Other than that I have had good results on deer with too many bullets to list.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.