Author Topic: GWB is on the right path...  (Read 552 times)

Offline brown-trout

• Trade Count: (0)
GWB is on the right path...
« on: February 05, 2005, 04:46:05 AM »
...as far as amending how the Social Security Administration operates.
Why do I say this? In a nut shell, there are two major reasons he must change SS and not eliminate it:
1.....as it is now, SS is merely a welfare program...the money you pay IS NOT going into some account for you...it is merely tracked to determine how much welfare you will be entitled to when you old and long in the tooth.
 As such, the money you pay SS today pays for other fed programs and is used to fund current SS recipients.   To the big spenders , SS is a good thing....free money today to buy votes today.

Do we really want to continue this type of welfare mind set??

2.....as much as it sounds like a great idea, getting rid of SS in all forms would be a bad idea.  There are millions of people out there  that wouldnt save a dime on their own...but when they could no longer fend for themselves their hands would be out, and no one could ignore it...democrat nor republican.  Me...Id rather keep my money and use it today to create wealth for myself and my kids( buy more house, increase contributions to my 457, put more in my wifes 401, etc....)  But I know the reality of the situation.
Also, if folks put money into personal accounts , this money would be like rocket fuel for the American Economy....today that money is used to study the effects of smog on children living in public housing (DUH!!!)

Mr Bush is to be praised for his work towards this goal.
Brown-Trout
================================
handi synthetic/ 223 REM / BSA 6-24X 50mm A/O
handi laminated / 270 WIN / Simmons 3-9X 40mm
pardner youth 20 gauge / Mod Choke / Red Dot Scope / Lengthened Forcing Cone / Ported Barrel

Offline BamBams

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 04:55:05 AM »
I agree with you almost 100%.  Except I think SSB should be discontinued TODAY, everyone's benefits cut off completely, and the funds used to pay off the deficit those very same SSB recipients complain about - ad nauseum.

Yes, that sounds harsh, and it is, but I believe people need to return to the basics in their individual lives.  People seem to want to live forever nowadays, with the attitude, "I'm not going to worry about anything, because when I get old, there will always be someone else to take care of me."
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 05:29:28 AM »
BamBams, No way you could just cut it off. It would put the whole system out of wack and not only seniors who live at home that cannot work but those in nursing homes as well. Folks who are disabled who cannot work ect. Those Mentally challanged ect who would take care of them? Not only does it sound harsh it would cause more problems than YOU would be willing to put up with! Not every old person has a kid to live with either so that is not a solution. As far as your comment about wanting to live forever well I really do not want to check out any time soon!  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :roll:
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 05:46:38 AM »
That's not realistic or do able BamBams. There are folks out there who worked their entire working life who have nothing else to fall back on. You want them to instantly to go zero income when they are now too old to work? I think not.

BUT I still would like to see it ended. Keep the folks now on it drawing benefits. Those who are well invested in it give them their benefits also. BUT stop all new comers from joining. Just cut it off and let no new folks begin that path. Yeah pay for it from the general treasury if we have to until those folks with whom the government already has a contract are dead. Then it's all over and done.

Or quit stealing the money from it to pay the general fund debts. That's why it's in trouble in the first place. If it had been left alone it would still be in good shape.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline BamBams

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 06:39:22 AM »
Guys:

The way I see it, it's not government's job to take care of anyone, or to fund anyone's old age, disability, etc.  SSB just creates more dependance on government.

I am smiling at what GWB is doing, but I bet you'd never guess why?  It's because he's making people think!  Think hard!  Think about what?  Think about the idea that "government ain't gonna take care of me anymore."   Never before, that I can recall in my lifetime, has this happened to this extent.  People are now wondering, "Gee, I could get old.  I could get disabled."  And, best of all, IT'S MY JOB TO WORRY ABOUT THAT!  It's back to basics now.  Start actually SAVING some money if you plan to retire one day.    

And yes, people do want to live forever.  They are afraid of death anymore.  There are insects that only live one day.  If I get 10, 20, or 50 years, I consider myself very fortunate indeed, but that's no reason to try and extend my life at the expense of everyone else.  That's just plain old selfish thinking. Life and health are gifts from above, not entitlements.  If I wasted my money all my life long, and didn't store up for the future, that's MY problem - not YOUR problem.  If you decide to rescue me from being foolish all my life, then do it as an individual, not at the mandate of some government.

We've got people living today in this country who are so rich that they could practically bail out SSB by writing a single check, but they won't, while others are arguing and fighting over getting $1000 a month for twenty years. Don't be disallusioned.  People in our society have been totally brainwashed to the point of now fighting for tiny scraps and it's all pointless to begin with.  I find the idea of fighting over government compensation to be utterly degrading to one's sense of self worth and esteem.  I find the idea of expecting other people's earnings to finance my life deplorable. People need to get back to basic common sense.

I can understand people wanting to get what they paid in.  Very few people will actually accomplish that however.  That is what the government was counting on when they created it.  I can also understand how the government has "raised a lot of peoples expectations from the government."

People seem to lack individual responsibility thanks to this same government.  My attitude today is, let the theives have mine.  I don't want it, and I'll defintely never need it. The money was never actually mine to begin with.  The second Uncle Sam got involved and took control, I lost it forever.  As Christ himself said, "Give unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's, and give unto God what is God's.  Someday, maybe, I could get old and disabled.  When that happens, I hope someone just pulls my plug (if I can't do it myself) and helps me on my way to eternity - only better things await me there.    

And what about the private sector anyway?  What on earth did all these mentally challenged, disabled, etc people do before SSB?  Somehow, without SSB we became a great nation and society for many years anyway.  WE DON'T NEED IT, and we never did in the first place.  Heck we had an industrial revolution without SSB. Thomas Edison wasn't on SSB - was he?

Let me tell you about a neighbor I had in Vancouver, WA one time.  His name is Roger and he lives on NE 22nd street.  He's 40 something. Roger hurt his back, and said he couldn't work anymore.  Couldn't work my butt!  He rakes his own yard, cleans his own house, and does all forms of routine stuff.  Anybody who can do those things can earn some income.  Heck, nowadays, you can earn an income sitting on your butt all day long playing on the computer.

Well one day, he decided to apply for SSB.  It took him 3 years, and an attorney, but he finally got the money.  They paid him LOTS of back SSB - in the 10s of thousands.  So what does Roger do?  He goes out and buys a new Cabin Cruiser, a new big screen TV, a new enterntainment center, and he goes fishing all the time.  I PAID FOR ALL THAT CRAP - still am, and so are YOU!  Gee, it's no wonder he never saved for his future - he spends his money like water, he can afford to - he's got his SSB.  Is this illegal?  Nope.  He's got back pain and is limited in motion.

You know what?  Compared to a lot of folks, I am as poor as dirt. I hurt my back also in the military.  Did I ever ask for compensation. No!  Did it stop me from working?  Working hard? No.  Let me say this again, "I" hurt my back. Not You! Not anyone else! Nowadays, I look at my back injury pain as giving more meaning to my service.  I wear it with honor.  The pain reminds me of how hard I gave of myself and it makes me proud of who I am.

Okay, now let me tell you about Brian, another 40 something guy, who lives in Pueblo, CO.  He hurt his back in the Navy.  When I am around him, which I am sometimes forced to be, he points his finger at his kids and wife to do everything involving bending over or lifting. He ain't polite about it neither.  Did I mention he 5' 10" and weighs about 300 pounds?  Depression ya know. Guess I didn't.  Ah....but when he's home without them, he'll do whatever he has to do.  Oh yes, I know he's in pain - but who isn't? If you ain't, then you're lucky - so far.  Anyway, this week, he was talking with me, or trying to talk with me, about applying for SS disability.  So here we go again folks.   He's calling lawyers who advertise on television during the day so housewives with stretch marks and guys who are depressed can get government money.  

You know what my riches in this life are:

1) Good kids who appreciate every little thing that is done for them.
2) A simple, uncomplicated life.
3) A desire to EARN everything I need or want.
4) A FAITH in God.
5) A constant awareness that I am here primarily to get my soul saved and to help others. (because nobody goes before their time is up).
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline bgjohn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2005, 06:50:00 AM »
Post deleted....personal attacks on this forum are not tolerated
I know nothing. I am only a messenger.

Offline brown-trout

gwb & true conservatism
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005, 09:38:57 AM »
as an aside to my original post, I am sure there are many RKBA folks like myself on this board...there should be & Im glad for it.

But I notice that alot of my 'conservative' friends are only conservative where it doesnt hurt'em......if a liberals way of doing things benefits [/i]them then they are all for it....doesnt sound like a conservative to me, sounds like a fickle opportunist.  
Look at all the opposition to SS reform..wheres it coming from???
From the same folks who want to take away our God given rights that are framed in the constitution.
But I suppose as long as folks  keep getting their check and there are no changes made to a way of doing things that came about before WW Two was history, then they will look the other way when an ATF guy calls and asks for a listing of their guns or when they see that agent drive off from their neighbors house, after he grilled them about your  particular way of worshipping God.
just my 2 cents, Brown-Trout
================================
handi synthetic/ 223 REM / BSA 6-24X 50mm A/O
handi laminated / 270 WIN / Simmons 3-9X 40mm
pardner youth 20 gauge / Mod Choke / Red Dot Scope / Lengthened Forcing Cone / Ported Barrel

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2005, 09:51:12 AM »
The way I see it, it's not government's job to take care of anyone, or to fund anyone's old age, disability, etc. SSB just creates more dependance on government.

With that comment I agree 100%. I think it was a mistake to ever go down the SS path to begin with. BUT having started down it a contract has been entered into with those folks who have been paying in over the years with a promise a benefit would be paid. Sure some of them would have made other arrangements lacking this and some wouldn't have. BUT it's a contract now and MUST be honored to those already in it. But no more should be added into it in my opinion.

And what about the private sector anyway? What on earth did all these mentally challenged, disabled, etc people do before SSB?

The died if their family didn't take care of them. Same as they would now if it was withdrawn. Trouble is not all have families to care for them and not all families are in a postition to care for them even if they do have family.

For the record I don't and never will draw SS. I think I paid in 6 quarters during my entire working career before I retired.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2005, 12:33:05 PM »
One thing I have heard is that when this policy is put into place, there will be an age gap of 40-54 year olds who will be screwed out of benefits. For some reason, the thing is kind of confusing to me anyway. Musta blew my brains out playin my instruments :roll:  :) .  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding